Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 I'm looking for a kombucha baby
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I'm looking for a kombucha baby Next Topic  

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  1:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Do any of you have a kombucha baby you are willing to sell me? I "brewed" kombucha for several years when I lived in Phoenix....and had all my friends and family drinking the tea for quite a while. For some reason we kinda got away from it.
I now live in Tyler TX.....and have been looking for a start....and I will also need the starter instructions....but I need the "mushroom". When I lived in Phoenix, I mailed one to my sister in Texas....and it made the trip just fine. It was in the early spring......so not real hot. I just double bagged it...in zip-lock, in a bubble pack envelope. I will pay for the "mushroom" and packaging and postal costs if any of you have one or two to spare.
Thanks,
Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  05:09:05 AM  Show Profile
Okey-dokey.....No reply in 5 days so I will pose another question.
Have any of you bought a Kombucha SCOBY off of eBay??? There's a gal...."Stitchingtime" who sells the mother / baby and I'm now leaning toward buying one from her. I have searched high and low here in my neck of the woods......but alas, I keep coming up empty handed, Any info is appreciated.
Thanks, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  05:26:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Kate!

Both times I have done Kombucha I bought from Ebay. Just look for someone who specializes in Kombucha and who has good ratings. I bought mine from "bacteriapimp" and they were nice and healthy.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee....
I think I will go that route.
.........I love the name "bacteriapimp"

Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  03:34:41 AM  Show Profile
To start a new mother culture, brew your tea, add the 3 cups sugar while it's still hot (I think it's 3 cups), cover w/ a cloth to prevent dust from getting in and wait 10 days. Scoop off the culture after 10 or so days and begin the process again. Only add the culture when the brew is completely cool.

It's best to use a jar with the widest opening possible or glass mixing bowl. I now use a large mayonaise jar...think it;s the size you get in bulk either at Wal Mart or the wholesale shoping clubs.

Hope this helps. I'm going from memory, so if I;m a little off someone please chime in
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  06:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I do a continuous brew with one of those sun Tea jars! It works out great and you can strain it while it comes out the spout.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  07:00:29 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday while at my local healthfood store.....which I call "my grocery store"....I bought a bottle of GT's Organic Raw Kombucha because I decided to try to get a SCOBY to grow from it. It is unpasteurized, and after reading many, many articles I think I will have success. There was a little SCOBY in the bottle....about the size of a fifty-cent piece.....and yes, I waited until the tea and sugar mixture were room temp before pouring in the kombucha and scoby. I am soooo excited!! The only hold-up I can anticipate is that we don't keep it real warm here in the house......during the day the thermostat is set to kick on if the indoor temp wanders below 62 degrees.It does kick up to 67 when hubby comes home from work and is ready for a shower. The house is nicely insulated.....as even on cold days the heater kicks on very infrequently. I have the tea on a multi tiered shelf next to the fridge...and I wrapped a towel around it. I think the fridge generates enough heat that it will be just fine. I sure would like some feedback from any of you other farmgirls who have started their kombucha in this manner. In the meantime I'm taking my Bragg's ACV and local honey religiously.
Here's to VIBRANT health.
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter

Today is my best day!

Edited by - Quintessential Kate on Jan 17 2009 07:02:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:32:26 AM  Show Profile
YEA! I forgot about the Braggs. That's what I buy when not growing a culture.

When you add it to a mother culture brew, it does grow another!
I used culture from the regular, and the green spirulina blend.

This time of year the kitchen hovers around 68-70 ,plus any added temp spikes due to cooking. Keeping your cluture by the frige may help.

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic I'm looking for a kombucha baby Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page