SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  10:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Just joined this forum and really love it. I was looking for info about herbs when I came upon this site. I have always loved to cook with them but never really thought about soap, salves etc. After attending last years Pow-Wow and seeing all the items that was made with herbs and their uses, I was fasinated. In process of reading more and learing all I can. I also am in the process of laying out my plans for my herb bed. Any advise on this would be appreciated.

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2008 :  10:16:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Susie -

First instruction: go back through and read as many of the earlier postings under this forum as you can!

There are several herb books that are going to be invaluable - head to the library and grab an armful and start taking notes. Many of those include landscaping plans, and a lot of the posting under this forum also discuss which herbs to plant. I also found some free herb garden designs online. Just start googling.

We are transitioning between two houses right now and we have rototilled a 7x7 plot to start my new herb garden at the new house, so my winter project was planning the exact diagram for the space I have allotted. I'm a bit on the AR side (anal retentive) so I made a lot of plans using graph paper or large (4x7) index cards. You can also just start planting them as you go, since some herbs will always have to be replanted annually (so you can change location next year), and the perennial ones can be transplanted easily if you decide to move things around later this year, or next Spring.

Good luck!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Herbal Remedies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page