340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  08:02:53 AM  Show Profile
Check this out:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22398921/?GT1=10645
The FDA finally "approved" an herbal remedy that people have been using for generations. Even though I say this tongue in cheek, it's still a good thing.

Roses are red, Violets are blue; But they don't get around Like the dandelions do.
Slim Acres
www.goodnaturedearthling.com

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Dec 28 2007 08:03:25 AM

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  08:42:20 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it odd, strange and funny that the FDA and Meds are "finally" allowing that herbal remedies might be, could be OK. Things some of us learned at our grandmother's knee.
Suzanne, I would like to attend a class of yours in 2008. Love your website. will be in touch. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2007 :  1:27:44 PM  Show Profile
FDA approval of herbal remedies is a mixed blessing, at best. This could be phase one of an attempt to regulate medicinal herbs and ultimately put them out of reach of ordinary people, so that pharmaceutical companies can reap their customary benefits. And by "out of reach," I mean both literally out of reach, by making it illegal to grow or harvest them, as well as financially out of reach. That would be because with regulation comes the requirement that to sell herbs, you need to have the big bucks to pay for new laboratory tests, field studies, and all that. Somebody has to pay for all that brand-new "overhead."

Remember, marijuana (well, hemp) was legal -- and in fact, the US government encouraged people to grow it as their patriotic "war effort" duty -- within the memory of people now only in their 60s. Now, even if you explain that the hemp you're growing is to spin for fabric and not to smoke, you can wind up in prison for the rest of your life just for owning the seeds. If you think yarrow can't be next, well...I'm just sayin' -- be careful what you wish for.

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." Stephen Colbert
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  03:36:34 AM  Show Profile
We have been using honey to treat abscesss on our elephants for the past year. I also brought up using comfrey root salve, but these idiots aren't ready for non-main line thinking

AND, just to help clairify industrial hemp is Cannabis Sativa the kind that is smoked is Cannabis Indiga The two LOOK similar but THC levels in the industrial are miniscule.

Thanks to closed minded government officials, lack of correct information and an unfortunate stigma that goes with it, it shall remain illegal. (Pity) I'm all for medicinal marajuana use for people with cancer and AIDS. And really, I'd much rather be in a room of stoners than a room full of drunks.

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  07:51:43 AM  Show Profile
I have one word: CODEX

Anna, I too would rather be inthe company of stoners -and often am, though I truly and honestly have never partaken myself-no realy desire to- because they are responsible with it (I know not all are) because they understand it as they do other herbs they use.

As for honey, we use it so much for some many different things. The only hard part is not eating it all before it is needed for an injury or ailment...lol.

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

lmillward
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Lorie
Riverton UT
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2008 :  8:59:48 PM  Show Profile
AnnaB- tell me more about the elephants! Are you a keeper? I was a cat keeper for many years at the zoo in Salt Lake.

Long live the weeds and the wildflowers!
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile
Ladies, this is such a large and heartfelt subject. The government has there sticky fingers in so many pots that it is hard for us to do much without them finding out....I lived in IL for awhile and some people were using used cooking oilin there diesel farm equipment...I just read that a couple was found out in Wisconsin that are being taxed now for using used cooking oil in there farm equipment. This use of this oil has been used for many years. And in California they are taxing the people that have electric cars on the miles they drive....What is the use in trying to use alternative energy if we are punished for it. And on the subject of the honey...Dont you have to eat the honey from where you are from to help with the allergies?....Sorry about theranting...But these subjects really get under my skin......

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

cabingirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Rose Mary
Arkansas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2008 :  10:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Like all of you, I really love to use honey! It is great for a mild diuretic, burns and does help with allergies, as well as coughs. When I worked at a hospital, some of the families were allowed to use honey on the bedsores that their long-bedridden family members (residents of nursing homes) had. That and Milk of Magnesia worked great for them!

I, too, am a little bit worried that the government might try to regulate honey and herbs. But what can we do about it? I'm really hoping that it doesn't come to that.

R~Mary

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

www.lifeinacordwoodcabin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Honey as healer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page