Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Home schooling Pros/Cons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Home schooling Pros/Cons Next Topic  

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  12:19:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi y'all, need some feedback/advice about homeschooling in general. My grandaughter is 6 and in first grade, she hates going to school this year to the point of vomiting every morning. She has many physical problems as she has Hurler's Syndrome and can't keep up with the other kids who run and play at mock 4, Jenna has no developmental delays as far as educational things, she's smart as a whip and the other kids love her but she just can't keep up so gets left behind and so plays by herself. Someone asked her the other day who her best friend was and she said "my mommy"

She has had 2 back surgeries and now has to have surgery on bilateral hips due to dysplagia. This means she is going to miss many weeks of school.My daughter is seriously considering homeschooling her and I was just wondering what you guys think are the downfalls? Do you think this might just further the social deficit she already has? She does great with 1:1 play date type friends.

Any ideas or advice farmgirls??

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  12:56:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
THe down side is you have to home, or with your child every day. If you work, homeschooling is very hard, but it can be done. Then there are the upsides, she will not be stressed, she will be able to work at her own pace, as slow or fast as her mind allows, if she is having a hard day due to surgeries or illness, you can spend the day reading great classical literature, developing a love of reading and learning. math can wait, many studies show waiting until a child is 9-10 is better to start formal fact memorization, like Math. Concepts are great early but rote memorization just isnt learning. As for socialization, if you are ever in public, farmers markets, freinds,shopping visiting Great Grandama in the nursing home, anything, your little granddaughter will have a rich full experience. My 6 have been known to make friends in the supermarket and in the park when visiting out of town. This is a much more atural way to interact with people. school is the only time in life when all your friends are the same age as you....and they dont have much to teach you! Homeschool groups are great, if they are in your area. You will find others just by grocery shopping during school hours! Ask around, at the library or local book store, We hang out there alot too!
It can be a tough job. But it is the most rewarding one I have found. Every so often I get frustrated and tired and think about sending the kids too school, I would have so much free time, but then I see the results of some kids, not all, and know my kids are right where they need to be growing in a loving environment, protected from evil, exposed to greater and higher learning. And it is not bad to have your best friend be your mom (as long as Mom has boundries). we all hope our girls will be our good friends when they grow up!
I know this is long, I hope it helps but some fears at rest, if you have questions, Ask!

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!

Edited by - ladybugsmom6 on Sep 09 2005 12:58:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  07:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Tami, I agree with all you said, and as I just worked all night I had a lot of time to think about it I think Jenna will do great, my dau. is a stay at home Mom and she will do just fine. The evils these kids are exposed to outweigh any socialization they get anyway. Plus Jenna is just enough "different" she will be teased at some point and I don't think any of us could stand even the thought of that. She is such a special little girl in so many ways. She had a bone marrow transplant at 1 year old, 2 back surgeries so far and is a trooper. She is not shy and will make really great friends instead of a whole bunch of "classmates", plus my daughter can be picky about who she does play with. I guess what I mean is I have talked myself into this and you have validated my thoughts beautifully,,,,,,,thanks so much!!

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  4:13:45 PM  Show Profile
Larenya- Since your grandaughter is going to have some long term recovery time at home no matter what there is an alternative you can try that will give your daughter an opportunity to catch her breathe since I assume she will also be full time care giver as your grandaughter recuperates. You can request through the school district to have "home bound " instruction where a tutor comes to the house and works with the student, at their own pace and facillitates what ever time table that works for the student. I did this for 2 years for a boy with lyme disease so bad he had to relearn walking and he has returned to school now. It sounds like your grand daughters medical needs should be overwhelming enough for your daughter at first. Maybe this avenue would buy them both some time to ease into homeschooling but not fall behind.Just another thought...

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2005 :  10:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Arlene -- I would highly recommend homeschooling. I tried it with my daughter when she was in the 4th grade but she just wasn't happy having me teach her. But I think if I had started at the age your granddaughter is it would have worked out. Homeschooling is fabulous because you can let the child set the learning pace, you get to choose the curriculum, and you get to choose who the child socializes with -- and no stress. There are so many homeschool programs out there now that kids can hook up with that socialization is not even an issue. When Steph was being homeschooled we sent her two days a week to a program through the school district. She got core classes in math and science then got two electives. I taught the rest of the stuff and the school monitored my lesson plans, etc to make sure I was getting enough stuff in. That really helped me as a first time homeschooling parent. But once you get the hang of it you can do it all on your own.

But it does require a fair amount of time on the parent's part but is so worth it. Good luck and let us know what you guys decide.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

60 Posts

Tammy
Port Orford Oregon
60 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  10:31:56 AM  Show Profile
I’m for home schooling.

Before we made the switch, we had so many problems. I worked full time+ and my husband did as well. I found that we never spent time together unless it was to try and keep up with assignments. Every year she would start out with a bang, but by the time Christmas vacation hit, she was behind. The other problem we ran into is that my daughter was a social butterfly. This more than anything caused problems. So we started home schooling her at the beginning of 9th grade. It’s great!

We researched and found the best program for us was “Switched on Schoolhouse” purchased from the Christian bookstore online. I wanted my daughter to continue with her Bible class each day as she had at the Christian schools she attended.

The program is self-paced. She had a hard time with Math, so now I assign her more Math than ever so she keeps up on her skills. The computer corrects most of her work, and tells me what to look for with her assignments. (I need the refreshers as well!)

We loaded it on our laptop so I could take her to work with me. I now work at our family nursery, so I have this option. Now she is exposed to Business on a daily basis, she is around her grandparents and myself each day. She completes her assignments and we all encourage her.

Payoff? She spells better than I do. She is a very well rounded person who can carry on a lengthy conversation with a child or a senior citizen. They all enjoy her company and her conversation (as much as she enjoys them).

So my advice to your daughter is go for it! My daughter is my best friend and most of the time I am her's. We have disagreements but I try to be far and she knows my first responsibility is to always love her, guide her and protect her.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2005 :  9:00:07 PM  Show Profile
I love homeschooling. My older two girls are done with school, one is married and the other is at home and working, which leaves me with my youngest. She just started highschool. What I love best about homeschooling is that you can instill not only values they don't get in public school but you get to teach what you want and feel is most important. Our oldest was very academically minded and a self motivator. She wanted to go on to college, so I made sure she had all the basic courses plus other subjects to give a well rounded education. Our middle girls always wanted to be a beautician. She wasn't academically inclined, so she got the same basic subjects, but wasn't pushed to take thahiger maths as she wouldn't need them. She put herself through beauty school and is working in great salon and loves it. OUr yongest still doesn't know what she wants to do. you can mold the curriculm to suit the child, giving them the best oppurtunity to be the very best them. Like Tammy, my girls are my best friends and we love to spend time with each other. It has been a grand journey, with its bumps, but I would do it all over again.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  7:26:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ladybugsmom6

You will find others just by grocery shopping during school hours!

I can vouch that this works, that's how Tami and I met!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

mountainmama
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lissa
Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  07:09:11 AM  Show Profile
Our 5-year old daughter is homeschooled, and it's the greatest blessing and the rewards are indescribable...and that's just after 5 years! Imagine after 18 years and beyond how we'll feel! From the day your children are born, you teach them every minute of every day. Even though we just started 1st Grade this fall (because she is reading on such a high level), I try to imagine what it would be like to "do the traditional thing" and send my child off to school all day, and it would break my heart. So I thank the Lord everyday that I am able to stay home and teach my child. As far as those socialization concerns go, she talks to anyone and everyone at the grocery store, the park, the book store, the library, the post office - everywhere we go! My struggle now is teaching her the difference between talking to nice strangers, and not so nice strangers - she's a social butterfly, too! I just have her watch me and do what I do, talk to who I talk to. I love every minute spent with her.

So for those out there who are struggling with the decision to homeschool - DO IT! You will not regret it, because the rewards far outweigh any bumps and frustrations along the way. You will still have your child's heart as they make that transition into adulthood.

Lissa
www.cabin-rentals-of-georgia.com

Edited by - mountainmama on Oct 03 2005 07:13:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  9:23:39 PM  Show Profile
I have a question about homeschooling. In my experience, most people who homeschool their children do it in conjunction with Christian beliefs. As I am secular, I have different reasons for thinking about homeschooling. I get tired of the tediousness of administration. In my opinion our school system has too many underqualified teachers who hold jobs just because they have been there the longest. So, with budget cuts there are gym teachers teaching science, music teachers teaching 3rd grade, math teachers teaching music. It makes no sense to me. And all of the rules for the sake of rules get in the way of learning. Also, I don't think that my very intelligent son has been challenged enough and now he's lazy about school. For instance, he was reading the Lord of the Rings books in 2nd grade and we were admonished by his teacher who told us we shouldn't allow it, that he should be reading "grade level appropriate" books. Why would you hold a child back from his/her abilities? School is easy for him, so he generally does the bare minimum and gets all A's. My daughter's big assignment for her 7th grade science class last week was to draw a picture of hamburger, as she was working on it she commented that there was way more coloring in 7th grade than she thought that there would be... me too! Anyway, I guess I'm a little off my point. I consider myself to be secular and I associate homeschooling with Christianity. So, is there somewhere in homeschooling for a secularist? I'm divorced and probably will never be able to convince my ex-husband that this is what we should do, but I'm just so frustrated with the schools here.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2005 :  11:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura,

I'm a Christian and that is one of the reasons that I chose to homeschool. But I also chose to do it because I wanted to be able to let my daughter learn at her own pace and I could also choose her environment. Unfortunately, Stephanie just was not happy being homeschooled so I put her back in public school. But she is doing great and I monitor things very closely. I know that there are many secular families that homeschool for reasons such as yours -- which are the reasons lots of parents do it whether they are secular or Christian. There is lots of secular based curriculum to choose from too.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2006 :  7:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Arlene, If your daughter has any questions about meeting the states requirements while homeschooling, or needs any ideas for how to shape lessons please let me know. I am a credentialed teacher (I taught in the South Bronx and LA in public schools though I am much more interested in student centered learning) and I would love to help her teach her little one according to their needs. My daughter had open heart surgery last year and though she is just 2 I wanted the whole world to stop so we could catch our breath! Farmgirls need to stick together, please email me if you need any help. With Love, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2006 :  10:00:23 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am so thinking of you Rebekkah and will keep you in my prayers.
As far as home schooling or not. I chose to send my son(9th Grade) to a private Catholic school. I am not Catholic, though my husband is, but my choice was to give him an opportunity to become a great citizen. i felt the public school in my area was not giving him the opportunity to be who he could become. Their emphasis was on just graduating them and being done with them. i see such potential in him that I chose to send him 40 miles from home every day which I have to drive him twice a day to get to. It is a huge sacrifice for the entire family. But one I do not regret.
I have gotten alot of flack from the families in his class as to why we chose to do this. I suggest you do what ever it is that feels right for your situation. I have been very opposed by those around me and have found little support except by the parents of students from the school in which he now attends. And as I look at the kids in his former class that have been arrested for underage drinking, the couple of girls who find themselves with child at such an early age, I am glad I sent him to a school where high moral fiber is stressed.
You need to be ok with your choice, and you should if it is made out of love for your child.
Blessings- Beth

May you achieve your full potential to excel intellectually, to live spiritually, to lead responsibly, to act justly and to serve selflessly. Have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Jan 01 2006 10:02:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2006 :  10:47:07 PM  Show Profile
Beth- I guess I should clarify that Isabella (my daughter) is just fine now thankfully, she is energetic and fully recovered. I just really understand how hard it often is to keep up with the everyday rhythym of life when a child is ill, and that ironically one of the best ways to help a child recover is to maintain a strong rhythym. So, I just wanted to let Arlene know that if they need help we all will do our part to lighten the load. Thanks for your love and for sharing your experiences with your child- I found the public schools to be a precarious place for a growing child despite many committed teachers best efforts. I am still unsure of how to transform the system but I believe that an educational renaissance is nearly upon us given the catastrophic failures to date. We are all doing the very best we know how for our kids and whether people choose public, private or homeschool so much of the responsibility comes down to the family.
Love, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

ErinRapp
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Erin
Dundee Oregon
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  09:05:35 AM  Show Profile
I have four children and homeschool the two oldest who are 2nd and K age. I have come to the belief that there is so much more to offer these days to your child at home....all the extras that we had as kids that can't be offered any more due to cutbacks, etc. And as far as being social...instead of learning to socialize with 25-35 2nd graders/kindegartners, they are learning to how to interact with people of all ages. My children are free to be themselves without any "peer" pressures, and in turn have great self esteem and, so far, great self respect. Another thing people notice are there manners...they aren't quiet and shy, but they know how to address people respectfully. (And Laura, there are many curriculums wether you have a secular or christian view.) Homeschooling is so becoming so prevelant that many styles of curriculum are available to fit your "lifestyle".

I have friends who homeschool, and those who send to public school, and private also. We need to remember that we are doing for our children what we feel best. We are all different and have different needs.

The grass is greener in your own backyard!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
74 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  4:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick update to the Pro's on home schooling. My 16 year old, just signed up for her first college courses today. She starts Spring 2006 (April). Isn't that exciting! I am so excited!

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  7:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Yeah for Muttley !!!!!!!!!!!!! What is she taking?

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
74 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2006 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julia,

Her first class is "Art Lit". She picked it out and I figured it was a great class to start out with and she needs it for her degree.

Next fall she is taking 3 classes.

The best part is she is doing the distance-learning program. All classes are completed using the internet. Because she is 16 and the college is an hour away, we feel it's the best set-up for the first few classes. She can stay in the dorms to finish her requirements, when she turns 18 if she chooses.

It's so exciting!

Go to Top of Page

HorseyNut
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Allena
MO
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  4:42:52 PM  Show Profile
I homeschool my 12 year old, he went to private school for K struggled with 1,2 and 3rd grade. He was a disipline problem. I am a pretty strict Mom, no back talk, no tantrums no nastyness type, I was floored. He was bored his work was dumb. The school said "Don't worry the rest of the other kids will catch up eventually, we'll just give him less work." Gee that will be enriching for him. One night my husband came home, I was crying, the boy was crying and he said enough, we will home school him because you are anyway. It was GREAT he loved it and flourished. He homeschooled for most of 3 rd, all of 4th and at the end of 5th he wanted to go back because he was lonely for other kids his age. We did boy scouts and homeschool group and Church but he had an idealized vision of wonderful kids and perpetual recess. We had moved to new school system and to be honest it is a very good one so, we let him do it, we were dumb! We messed up! The school after telling me that they hoped he wasn't too far behind tested him and he tested as a sophmore in highschool! Of course he couldn't go there so he went to 5th grade. Do you realize that the average 6th grade curiculum for homeschoolers is actually 10 grade public school work? I didn't push him he just did what he could and was only advanced to 6th grade.
Ok enter the "social problems" . He did not like being called names in 5th grade like faggot and such. One kid threatened to kill him, but he wasn't punished because there was no proof. The same kid cruched a soda can in my sons hand then smashed a cup cake into his hair. They didn't believe him, but luckliy another kid came forward and sided with him. This kid wasn't letting my son use the bathroom. Long story less long, he didn't tell us all this stuff because he wanted to handle it himself and be grown up. Or was he scared to death of a kid who said he would kill him? hmmm? We'll never know. Another kid tackled him and kicked and punched him on the ground, but my son "made a bad choice" by taking the kids hat, which prompted this behavior. WOW!

Here is my point I went back to homeschooling and suddenly all the disipline problems went away (he had been stealing, lieing, being disrespectful, cussing and hitting his sisters. None of this was normal and it magicly went away after about 2 weeks.

I enrolled him in a Catholic School at home program http://www.setonhome.org and he's in 8th grade. It is wonderful if you are Catholic. They sent me a book that pointed something important out to me and that is this, regardless of your beliefs they are yours and the teachers in the school probably don't share them. Then kids get the idea that maybe Mom and Dad are wrong about subject A. What else are they wrong about? Enter the ugly head of teenage rebellion, something to think about. You will not regret trying but you sure will regret not trying!

On the social issue, My kids spend lots of time with kids, adults, teens, seniors and that is a more healthy and natural social life then 30 kids all the same age plodding along at the exact same task together. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Home schooling Pros/Cons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page