Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 A Pizza teaches me how to be a Stay At Home Mom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic A Pizza teaches me how to be a Stay At Home Mom Next Topic  

JimBobAndLarry
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sarah
Fortville IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  5:43:58 PM  Show Profile
A six-dollar frozen pizza changed my life.

I was a young bride, settling into married life. We were home from our honeymoon, living in Florida near the beach. I was at the grocery store, practicing my new role as a homemaker. Josh was working long days as a flight instructor, bring home about six dollars an hour. With rent due in a week and our first baby due in the spring we were struggling to live within our means. But we were determined to live on one income, so I could stay home with our baby.

I started to put the frozen pizza into the shopping cart. And then that lifeless frozen pizza started talking to me! I heard it’s words clearly, (in my mind) “Do you realize that your husband has to spend an hour of his life paying for me, if you put in that cart? It’s him or me, the choice is yours! Wouldn’t you rather spend that hour with Josh? Do you think I’m really worth it?”

“Ok mister pizza, either you don’t want to be tossed in the oven or perhaps you are right.” I put the pizza back, with thoughts of a long walk on the beach, following a simple dinner made from scratch.

Then I took a second look into my cart, “Look at all the frivolous things in my cart! What am I thinking? We don’t need all of this, what we need most is time together.” So I back tracked, and put away the things we didn’t need. I made wiser purchases that would require a little more time in the kitchen and a little more planning and creativity. I knew that that change I was making would save my sweetie a few hours of is life.

After seven years of falling in love, and waiting to build a home, a life and family together our time had come. The wedding bells had rung, and we rode off into the sunset. I didn’t marry him so he could work himself silly, while I spend every cent and run up the credit. I wouldn’t exchange an hour of togetherness for anything unnecessary any longer.

I would simplify our simple life, plant a garden, sew the curtains, shop the sales and do without the upgrades and second car. I found so many things I could do at home! I learned old fashion skills and found out how to make the things I couldn’t buy. We also learned not to waste our precious time by doing without TV and video games. Our home was becoming a richer, sweeter and more personal place. With all this meaningful and creative work I was loving my role as a homemaker.

When our little son was born we had all that we needed, and plenty of time to spend just being together as a family.

With this perspective our family grew. We moved to Indiana before our daughter was born. In time my husband got out of flying and started a business called “Need-A-Nerd? Computer Service” And then we had a few more daughters. The computer business has been so successful that we came the place where it had the potential to keep my husband busy night and day. But we realized that we still wanted to be together more than we wanted money and stuff.

So we took a good look into “our shopping cart of life”. Frivolous things were stacking up, and we began once again to choose the things that mattered most. Even with five children and a baby due in the fall, we are managing to live creatively on one income. And best of all daddy is home with our family almost four whole days every week. And to think it all started with a six-dollar frozen pizza, that didn’t want to go into my cart.

"Jim-Bob&Larry is the name of my daughter's new laying hen. My little girl is three and she came up with the name all by herself. I'm Sarah."

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  6:34:34 PM  Show Profile
I am such a huge fan!

D.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  8:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Sarah,
Hats off to you!!!! I just wish more people would look into their carts of life and really see whats important. I work for a high school and I see daily our futures walking down the hallways talking on their cell phone, driving much nicer cars then I do, designer clothes, and not really understand what is important in life. My own child recently went to live with his father because of the promise of material things. But in two weeks short time he is already a sad boy. As all those things can not replace a family and family time spent together. KUDOS!!!!!!

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  8:27:03 PM  Show Profile
What an awesome story! You have made me think. Thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  06:31:25 AM  Show Profile
I agree. A very awesome story. I was discussing with a friend of ours yesterday the roll of money. Yes, we all need SOME to live. We all need a roof over our head, food, and clothing. We don't NEED 2 cars, it just makes life easier, we don't NEED cell phones or cable, it just makes life easier. Yes there are frozen pizzas and other dinners, but they taste like crap and a waste of money, but it's easier. People today have no concept of how far their money will stretch if they do a little extra work. I'll admit, I still have a long way to go, but I've also come a long way and realized if I want to stay at home and not have my hubby work like a dog, then I need to make some changes. I'm home anyways, I have no excuse.

Thank you for sharing this story. I hope more people realize that family time is so much more important than ANY material things.
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  09:24:58 AM  Show Profile
Sarah,
Awesome story!! You are a wonderful writer and can make the word just climb off of the screen.
Thank you, Thank you for sharing with us.

Have you ever thought of writing a book????

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  09:29:57 AM  Show Profile
I am going to print this out and use it for inspiration. I am such a waster of money!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  1:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Sarah,
Awesome story!! You are a wonderful writer and can make the word just climb off of the screen.
Thank you, Thank you for sharing with us.

Have you ever thought of writing a book????

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

mdotterer
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Marlene
Pleasant Hill CA
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2006 :  5:09:51 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! What a great story! You've given me some food for thought and encouragment to keep trying to simplify and consume less! We've been tightening our belts more and more since I lost my job over a year ago. I've started a new business, but it hasn't quite taken off, yet, so we're still living on just my husband's salary. I manage to make my car payment every month, though and there are only 2 of those left!!!!

Really, we are far from poor, but my darling husband wants so much to retire in a few years. He's been working and saving for 35 years and I want to help him reach his goal and not be a hindrance! I'm going to keep a sharp eye on my shopping cart and keep working on managing with what we have!
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic A Pizza teaches me how to be a Stay At Home Mom Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page