Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirl overalls Next Topic
Page: of 4

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  12:20:27 PM  Show Profile
I wasn't really sure where would the appropriate place to post this question but I am wondering what your favorite brand of overalls is and where you buy them. I don't have any that fit me and I'd like to get a comfortable pair or two. Thanks in advance for the advice.

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile
I love Old Navy overalls. The first pair I bought are Old Navy and I actually found them at the Goodwill(great place for this sort of thing). I have a second pair that I bought brand new but they aren't as worn out and comfy.

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  12:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Farmgirls!!!
I have several pair but they are quickly becoming too
worn with several holes and frayed spots. Ok I admit thats when they are the best but arent that appropriate for public consumption!!
I too have a favorite pair from Old Navy and an old pair from Union Bay. I think the resale shops are the best place to start!. Next try
the farmstores and of course online. There is a place in tennessee that makes them and sells online..made is USA!!!! I also have a pair from Key brand, Dickies, and Carrhart. Iv,e seen a friend of mine with a pair of shortalls from Lee brand. JCPenny has a lot of different styles in mens sizes ...railroad stripe, painters and of course plain denim. I was online looking a few weeks ago and found a lot of resources online in a large range of sizes!! if you,re hard to fit I would suggest typing in womens overalls and going from there! Gotta say ...I could live the rest of my life in bibs no problem!!
Good luck!!
susan

LaPorter County Indiana Farmgirls
FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  12:36:07 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for some overalls too~~ At the farm store, they want $35 for them...I am thinking I would like some "painters pants" fabric instead of demin. I was thinking of checking at Goodwill too~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  2:45:44 PM  Show Profile
I have found out that you get what you pay for with overalls. I like sturdy big ones..nice and loose and comfy..they are not very flattering on me...(big busted and size 18) but I don't wear them to town much..I love my carharts or dickies. Used to like OshKosh but don't like how they changed the clasp things on the straps..I have worn overalls for about 20 years and love love love them. Right now my favorite pair (my dress overalls )were hand me downs from my sis in law who said they didn't fit her right. I am wearing my garden pair right now...dickies that are big and faded and frayed. They are better than any sweats invented and I couldn't part with them until I have another pair of ratty ones ready...about once a year that happens. I embroider on the bibs and patch them when needed. I usually get mine at farm stores when they have a sale for about $25. If you are a small person you can usually find some at goodwill.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  4:35:59 PM  Show Profile
I confess I bought my alls at gap...After you all chastize me I must admit that they wear like iron and are very soft and comfy! I still wear a pair I bought in '99! They are VERY broken in and frayed on the cuffs, and one of the clasps fell off who knows where, but still servicable. I do have to mend the crotch though. I have 2 other pairs that I save for town and going out in public. I wear the short alls in summer. I love my alls. I wore them when I was pregnant with my girls a size bigger than normal. DH thinks they are sexy, but I don't see how. I am looking forward to fall, and being able to wear the long ones. I want to be buried in my alls. Am I weird?

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  6:44:41 PM  Show Profile
MeadowLark ,
You are such a cutie and not weird at all!
Today I found a picture of myself as a senior in highschool wearing my favorite bibs.Hand embroidered and all.. I thought, too, darn those things looked cute on me!! However, 27 years later, I fill 'em out just a little 'differnt!
Your post made me smile.
Hope you are fine...been thinking 'bout ya.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  7:12:58 PM  Show Profile
My best friend and I made a pact years ago to make sure we were buried in our overalls. We were younger at the time but both still wear them all the time. I have either overalls or jeans and an apron on every day...my uniform. I fill mine out alot different now too. Alot.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  7:30:14 PM  Show Profile
I have a very very old ratty pair that I LOVE from Gap. I also have some from Old Navy but they don't fit the same, don't know what the difference there is since they are the same company. I also have some Liz Claiborne capri alls that I love for this time of year when it is still hot but not 105 type heat. I think I got those at Sams Club. I love them so much and am in desperate need for need ones. I've never looked at a 2nd hand store for those before have to check that one out.
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  7:34:58 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
This cracked me up! I have worn overalls since high school! I have 6 pairs all from LLBean...they stopped making them!!! I am so mad! They were perfect. When I found out I couldnt get them, I put two pair up for "later"...My dress up is an overall jumper from Eddie Bauer...very cute!

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  9:42:17 PM  Show Profile
I have several Pairs of Bib overall's. But my very favorites are my Carharts. I work with my sheep alot and they are the best for dirty work. They wear like iron. I also like Carharts T shirts.I have about one of every color they have.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  09:15:54 AM  Show Profile
Well, Meadowlark, you said it first so now I'll say it . . . I love my Gap alls the best. I can get dressed up by wearing the light khaki ones too. As for short-alls, for some reason I like the Old Navy. I once had some linen-like short-alls and they were great! But, I think I grew out of them. Other than that, they last a long time. I've even replaced the clasp on some that I really loved.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  12:32:39 PM  Show Profile
I feel sooooo left out~~ I dont even have one pair of bibs! Although, last year I did by myself some coverallls....for winter..My hubby laughs but I tell him "I'm Country!!~
Jan
By the way...can someone inlighten me on "DH"...?
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  1:02:50 PM  Show Profile
Jan, I think DH means dear husband or dumn hubby, whichever fits at the moment. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. ( maybe dumn could be replaced by darling too...but I like dumn better!)

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  2:18:19 PM  Show Profile
My overalls are ancient and are Duck Head.
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  3:08:49 PM  Show Profile
I love my overalls, have two pairs that I got at the farm store about five years ago, and I know I never would have paid more than $25 for them. Wore them during first pregnancy until they wouldn't fit any more, and all the time around the farm. Now that No. 2 is due, March 7, guessing they'll come in handy on a regular basis for a while. Don't know whatever happened to the cute short-alls I had...

One other suggestion, try the Men's department for overalls -- sometimes the prices are cheaper, and the construction sturdier.
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  7:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
dang!!!!! I NEVER thought about being buried in them but it totally makes sense!!!I'm not sure anyone would recognize me dressed up...let alone dressed up and dead!!!Guess I'll have to make sure I've always got a decent clean pair ready to go.........Thanks girls!!! One more thing off my list..Meetin my maker outfit.....Bibs!Check!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  7:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Girls!!! Pointer Brand on line has the hickory stripe lowback overalls on closeout for 12.50 a pair...shipping is 6.oo.These are MADE IN THE USA in bristol Tenn!! check it out....also look in the ladies category for a long skirt bib overall jumper option...great for those FORMAL OCCAISIONS!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  01:07:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Personally I want to be buried in my flannel pajama's with one of my quilts over me...I figure I want to be comfortable for my "long sleep". Hey, and this week I found Sock Monkey flannels pj's at Target whoppee I am in heaven.I have a Sock Monkey fetish if you didn't know.."hello my name is Diane and I have been a sock monkey addict for 40 some years" can't you hear me at the 12 step program!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  10:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh I love my sock monkey!!!! My MIL made them for grandkids a few years back and I loved them so much she made me one too! His name is Otis. Bet those PJ's are adorable!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  10:45:00 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever sewn a pair of alls for themselves? My daughters always had their Osh Cosh alls and youngest had a soft black velvet pair that were so cute! I think a pair of velvet alls would be so cute for dress up! A white turtle neck or other color and a pair of boots, like cowboy boots maybe! Farmgirl Chic! I am going to look for an overall pattern!

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  11:43:33 AM  Show Profile
Recently on Oprah, they did a makeover on a girl that only wore overalls. She had short ones, skirted ones, all kinds of long ones, maternity ones, and even capri length. She had velvet pairs and all different fabrics. Her closet was a riot to look at, and the Oprah audience died laughing. But I thought she looked cute and did not need the makeover! Anyway, they must come in dressy fabrics, because she sure owned a lot of them!
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2005 :  06:34:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to Susan for the info on the closeout sale and to Clare for the link! I immediately ordered a pair for my husband and a pair for myself!

I once made a pair of bib overalls "customized" for a special occasion: for our wedding anniversary we went to a Fourth-of-July Willie Nelson Concert!
I made some red-white-and-blue themed overalls, of cause! I used a striped fabric that I tea-stained to "antique" it and combined it with a floral in the same colors for the accents, (like pockets, cuffs and plackets). It looked soooo good! I actually got a little tired of talking about them at the concert! Just about every other woman there wanted to know where I got such an unusual yet appropriate outfit.

From this hour on I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  11:54:12 AM  Show Profile
Susan and Clare, thank you for directions to the Pointer sale. These overalls look great. They remind me of the old railroad kind that just scream for a light blue work shirt (with the sleeves fetchingly rolled back and stuffed up over the elbows) and, of course, a red bandana. I'll skip the hat. Don't want somebody to hand me a shovel and tell me to get busy stoking the engine!

I ordered myself a pair, but had to call them for clarification on what size to order, since the suggestions on their site are for men. I'll pass along the advice I got for others who might want to do likewise. The lady I spoke with said to order a comfortably loose version of your WAIST (not hip) size, and the inseam length you would normally choose for jeans. The style is cut generously, she said, so that a woman's hips should be amply accommodated if the waist is right.

I'm checking out my very own ample hips right now and thinking, "Hmmm, we'll just see about that!"

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  12:08:24 PM  Show Profile
My favorites were also a pair of Gap ones. But my next fave orite I got at Farm & Fleet for $19.99, I can't remember the brand.

Diane, did you know sock monkey were manufactured in Rockford Illinois? We had a book about them with the history at my part time job (J.Jill Clothing)

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Thanks for the Sock Monkey info Kim, no I didn't know that actually. It was just the first and only handmade gift I received as a child and from a farmgirl to boot.

Hubby and I used to wear overalls all the time as young marrieds in the late 70's. Then we got shipped to Germany, where we continued to wear them out and about, and we gathered looks of such hostility we could not imagine for what reason.I finally asked one of my German neighbors who spoke English, and she informed me "Those are WORK clothes, it is considered ill mannered to wear them out in public". Oops!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmgirl overalls Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page