Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Do you think it is appropriate?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Do you think it is appropriate? Next Topic  

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  06:45:02 AM  Show Profile
My daughter came home from school yesterday and told me about the PG movie that was shown in her class. She is in 1st grade. She does not see PG movies in our home.
It seems highly inappropriate to me for a class of 1st graders to be shown a PG movie.
What is your view on this? I want your honest, open, frank opinions.

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  07:27:35 AM  Show Profile
I looked up the "Best PG Movies of the Last 20 Years" and it was movies like:

The Parent Trap (the remake)
The Princess Bride
Fly Away Home

I'll be darned if I can find anything objectionable about those movies, so I guess it depends more on the movie.

Which movie was it, Country Lawyer?

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Edited by - Peanut on Mar 13 2008 07:32:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  07:43:03 AM  Show Profile
*Big Sigh* I think that it is going to be more and more prevalent in our media bloated world. Appropriate is a home choice. Life is going faster and faster and I think that most people don't even think about it being appropriate when you can see ANYTHING on the internet. You know? I'm sure that the teacher didn't mean to do anything wrong, I think she is just part of the big media world.

I'm a defender of internet neutrality. I think that internet openness is vital to learning and communication and should be a home by home choice as to what content is shown, but NOT informing you that your child was going to be shown PG content was wrong. I'm sorry that the teacher did not think to inform the parents of a minor that there was going to be a PG film...that I would bring up. You have rights here...she is NOT the parent.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  07:49:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm curious too! What movie was it! You'd think they would have sent home some communication before so as a parent you could decide beforehand whether or not you would want her to see it! Hmmm...

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  10:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ok...I am only 33 but I will sound old fashioned...we used to have permission slips for movies in school because they wanted it to be ok with the parents that school time was being used for recreational time. We had maybe 2 movies a year- I think 101 Dalmations or something was shown but I was also in 3rd grade or something.

I would talk to the school about it. If someone's parent didn't approve, child could do some art or take recess or something with a supervising adult.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  10:40:48 AM  Show Profile
That sounds inappropriate to me. I'd call the principal or the teacher and talk to them. Let them know how you feel. When my daughter was ten, her history teacher told the class they had to watch the prime time news for two weeks. I told 'Susannah I couldn't watch that for two weeks , and I told her teacher I thought it was a terrible idea and it wasn't going to happen a at my house. Kids are so bombarded with information, and I feel like schools are always trying to get the kids to be little grownups.Sorry for the rant, I just find schools to be disappointing. I home schooled my kids from eightth grade on and they both got their GEDs. Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  10:46:13 AM  Show Profile
When my son was attending our local school, they had to send notes home for anything other than "G" ratings. I think that any more most live action movies seem to get at least a "PG". I agree that the school should notify the parents and let them make the decision on what their child may watch.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  11:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree with the others, I think that anything above a G rating should have notes sent home- at least until middle school. When I was in elementary school I wasn't allowed to watch PG or PG-13 unless my parents okay'ed it first. PG stands for "Parental Guidance" so I feel that the parents should have a say in it.

I do, however, remember watching "The Princess Bride" in Elementary school. I thought it was a great movie and didn't pick up on all of the adult themes that are in the movie, but that isn't to say that some of the other kids didn't.

I don't blame you for being upset, and I would make it clear to the principal and teacher that in the future you would like to be appraised ahead of time about what media content you child will be exposed to that isn't G rated.

I too am curious as to which movie was shown!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  11:48:16 AM  Show Profile
There's such a wide variation in PG rated movies. Without knowing the specific movie, I can't really say whether it was an appropriate choice for the age group. I guess the bigger question is what role the movie played in the classroom. Was it a substitute for reading a book or learning a topic directly from the teacher? Or just a fun activity for a special day?

This topic makes me think back to my school days. In elementary school, vcrs were still a new thing and only the special "performing arts" room had one. The teacher showed us "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Life of Brian" (we were in 4th grade - those choices seem a little weird to me now).

In junior high, I went to catholic school, where there were no vcrs at all. One teacher had us watch a film strip version of Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" (to illustrate the concept of modernism). Very bizarre!

In high school, my private school made a deal with the devil and allowed the Channel 1 corporation to install a tv and vcr in every classroom. We were contractually obligated to watch a 15 minute newscast (with commercials) every afternoon. The rest of the time, teachers could use the tv/vcrs to show us clips from "Romeo and Juliet" or "Glory". I still remember how much a certain teacher hated turning on that newscast every day! He saw it as a real violation of his teaching environment, but he had no choice.

Country Lawyer, I imagine that multimedia have only become more prevalent as a teaching aid over the years. This is an issue you are probably going to run into every year in one form or another, so I hope you are able to work out a solution that you and the school can live with.
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  5:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I can't believe they showed you Life of Brian in fourth grade! What was their reasoning behind that? I personally love that movie, but I wouldn't show it to a room of fourth graders!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  8:23:41 PM  Show Profile
alee thats funny about Princess Bride because while I love that movie there are SEVERAL swear words in it! I am a school teacher and my personal belief is that teachers should NOT be showing movies. I find little or no educational value in them. There are MANY teachers at my school that show them often. Personally I see it to be a sign of laziness in teaching. most of the time the movies they show are ones the kids have seen 100 times already anyway. If I feel like we need a break i would much rather go outside and play than stick in a video! I LOVE to go out on the playground with the kids. There is no better stress relief than climbing up the slide and sliding down. I wish more teachers would give it a try.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  8:24:48 PM  Show Profile
also I would contact the teacher before you went to the principal.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

farminmama
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  8:48:37 PM  Show Profile
In first grade, anything other than G should require at least a note sent home a night or two before letting parents know that they will be showing...on Thursday...please contact us with any objections. I understand how you feel, I think. Undermined as a parent. You wouldn't have exposed her to PG and feel it shouldn't have been done being your back, without you consent, or at least without knowing until after the fact. I would watch the movie, whatever it was, and KNOW exactly what she saw and heard. Then I could address any issues as they come up.

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
farmgirl Sister #151
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  8:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Wow. What school did I attend? I don't recall seeing any films...well, ok, Romeo and Juliet (in 7th grade) where the teacher fast forwarded through all the "racy" parts...but we just watched the Electric Company and Sesame Street.

I would go with Julie though, about movies in the classroom--I just really wonder "what for" unless it's something made for PBS.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  8:55:49 PM  Show Profile
Personally, I would be highly disappointed if my 1st grader was shown a PG movie - regardless of what it is. PG - parental guidance - that pretty much summarizes it for me. Where does the teacher get the idea that she can make that call for all of the children? I would definately call that overstepping her boundries.

If it was me, I would certainly gently approach the teacher to voice my concerns to her as well as the principal.

I think Annika said it all when she comment that "Appropriate is a home choice." I don't try to dictate what others choose for their children, but we all deserve the freedom to raise our children according the values held in our homes.

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  9:28:16 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't be pleased at all!! I have been very dissapointed to find out that in 6th grade they have shown movies that I wasn't excited about my kids seeing...in first grade I would be furious!! I would talk to both the teacher and the principal.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  07:24:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your voices. This particular issue is one of my (many) soapboxes regarding kids. I was having a "knee-jerk" reaction yesterday. I so enjoy listening to those who are not. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I feel much less "pig-headed" about it now.

Here is what I have decided. Now, know that I have not seen the movie. And, I'd tell you what it is, but that's not the issue for me. I am certain of this. The Ratings Board thinks it deserves a PG rating, so I am sure I would not find it fully appropriate for my 6-year old daughter. I don't think some G movies are appropriate, to tell the truth...So, I have no doubt that I am more conservative with my daughter than the Ratings Board. Now, know that if other parents want to show PG movies to their 1st graders in their home to their kids, fine. Doesn't bother me in the least; whatever works in their family.

So, back to where I am with this. I believe there should be a clear, bright-line rule in the school that first graders will not be shown PG movies at school. That is what I will ask for. I have looked at the definition of a PG rating and in my mind, no PG movie should ever be forced upon a 1st grade child in a classroom setting. Ever. If I can't get that, then I will ask to be notified when a PG movie is scheduled to be shown so that I can pick my daughter up from school early.

I am a "mother bear" when it comes to my daughter. I'm afraid working with so many troubled kids and families for so long made me what some could call "overprotective." That label doesn't bother me in the least...

Thanks again, even-headed Farmgirl Sisters. I know we tell each other all the time, "You Rock." But, still it's never enough. You Farmgirls Rock!!
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  12:29:47 PM  Show Profile
I would be unhappy about it too. We were always sent home permission slips. Even G movies, I want to know. That sounds pretty strict, but there are just some things out there that I don't agree with and just because someone else says it appropriate/inappropriate doesn't mean I agree.
Do you feel comfortable asking the teacher to give you prior notice in the future?

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  5:37:58 PM  Show Profile
As a middle school English teacher, I have a few things to say about this topic. First, I do in fact see value in showing movies to my students; I often use film versions of texts we've read in order to illustrate or emphasize certain literary elements (setting, mood, etc.). Also, sometimes it's important to show kids why reading the book is often far more fulfilling than watching the movie (and many of them do say they preferred the book when asked to write a comparative analysis essay). That said, I also have several rather reluctant, struggling readers who really benefit from the visual presentation. I don't often show the entire movie, by the way, often just enough for the students to "get a feel" for it. (One that I do show in it's entirety, however, is Much Ado About Nothing - it really helps my 8th graders "get" Shakespeare while we read the play; not to mention, he's really meant to be seen more than read).

Now to the issue of parental consent/approval, I always send home a letter whenever we watch a movie/excerpt that's not rated G. In middle school, I approach it more as a "for your information" letter, and to be perfectly honest, I've never once had a parent call to complain. Perhaps it's because of the way I frame it ("we'll be watching (an excerpt from) movie "X" as an extension of the literature unit, etc...") or the movies themselves, who knows? If a parent did have a concern, however, I'd be happy to discuss alternative ways of addressing the assignment. (I hope this doesn't sound like all I do is show movies, by the way! I show maybe two a year! )

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Do you think it is appropriate? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page