campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  10:14:25 AM  Show Profile
I have been using homemade laundry soap and have a couple of questions?
My whites are really dingy, we have really hard water. Any suggestions?
What is better Fels Naptha or Castile? My husband works with form oil.
LIquid or powder version? What dissolves better with out leaving marks on dark colors?
Hope you can help!

Erin

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  11:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Erin-

What you are describing is a classic problem of hard water. The glycerin that is in real soap (aka homemade, castille, and even Fels) can bind with hard water to actually make a soap scum. The best thing you can do is add baking soda to the mix as this softens your water. Also if you are still having a problem, add a quarter to half cup of vinegar to the rinse water. This helps everything rinse clean and is a natural fabric softener.

I had the exact same problem at first as we have hard water. Now that I add baking soda I no longer have any problems at all. I make my mix dry and use the lazy way of measuring:

One box borax
one box washing soda
one 4 lb box of baking soda
3 bars of soap (castille or Fels)

Fels does have some petro chemicals in it, so if you are trying to go completely natural I would recommend either Boraxo Powdered Hand Soap (Already powdered so nice!) or Castile soap.

As long as I don't over stuff my washer I haven't ever had marks on my clothes, but if I do over stuff it does leave marks. However if you are still having problems, just get a cup of hot water from the tap and dissolve your soap into the cup of water before dumping it into your wash. That way you can still dissolve your soap and use cold water wash cycles. I believe that is the method that Aunt Jenny uses.

I hope that helps!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  12:50:50 PM  Show Profile
I use Ivory soap in my laundry detergent instead of Fels and I don't have any trouble with dingy whites. I make the liquid (gel) detergent. I have heard of people with hard water having problems with their whites, so that could be it too.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  6:48:54 PM  Show Profile
I also add a few drops of Mrs. Stewart's bluing to my vinegar rinse when doing my whites.

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  8:22:39 PM  Show Profile
I add vinegar to the rinse sometimes...we have hard water here too. The bluing is a great idea...and I have some on hand...will have to try that.
I use mostly the dry, but I do what Alee suggested and dissolve it in hot water first if I am doing darks. I always put the dry soap in the washer first..and get the water going...I sort of swoosh it with my hand to dissolve it and then add the clothes. I used the liquid (gel) form of homemade laundry soap for years..but like the dry better..mostly cuz it dosn't make me gag to see it going into the tub..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  05:01:26 AM  Show Profile
I just mixed up a batch based off Jenny's recipe for dry soap (found on her blog) and I LOVE it. I will never buy laundry soap at the store again. I don't get why people got away from basics like this in the first place! (and thank you, Jenny, for posting the instructions! Works great!)

Funny Farm ramblings http://happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  07:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The Homemade laundry soap really does work wonders. When we were last at Costco, Doug convinced me that it would be nice to buy the Costco laundry detergent because we were both really busy at the time. I was tired of arguing with him and finally said "Okay".

I finally used up the last of it this last week and joyfully bought the stuff to make more. I had Doug shake the soap up for me so evenly distribute the mix since I made a really big batch. When I showed him the final product and told him to only use a table spoon, he was shocked! He asked what all the other products put in the store bought detergents to make you have to use so much.

I answered simply, "Fillers. Lots of fillers!" I then went on to explain how this was a concentrated detergent because everything I put in there was geared towards cleaning- no fillers. He got so excited "You should sell this much for like $50" and I had to gently tell him that most people already make their own and if not, there are some Farmgirls out there that do sell the mix packaged for those who don't have time to make their own.

My latest loads of laundry smell and feel so much better! Good bye Costco laundry detergent- I WON'T miss you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  4:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
How much of the Boraxo powder do you use?

Thanks for the recipe,

Erin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  6:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
One canister is about equivalent to one bar of soap.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA