EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2008 :  5:19:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if any of you are aware that there is a Friends of Gladys Taber club - I have joined (dues in USA are $15) you get a wonderful newsletter that is published four times a year and it is just filled to the brim with all things Gladys and Stillmeadow.They have even started a real pen pal club too!
Gladys Tabers books would be wonderful for discussion too, don't you think?
Another great book would be The Magic Apple Tree by Susan Hill!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  11:59:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy,
I don't get here to the forums very often, but today I'm treating myself (and taking a work break). I was surprised to see the name Gladys Taber in the topics. I just found out about her this past year in a magazine article and was very taken by her writing (it reminded me a bit of my very favorite author, Elizabeth Goudge). I was under the impression from what I could find out online that Gladys wrote magazine articles. Are there books, too?! What would you recommend? Do you think the library would have them? I'll have to look at the other book you mentioned by Susan Hill.

Thanks for sharing!

All is Well.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  12:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Here is an excellent site to tell you all about Gladys - Hers Stillmeadow books are the best ones by far -I am sure your library will have them or you can find them cheaply via Ebay or sites such as alibris.com abebooks.com
http://groups.msn.com/StillmeadowFriends/

She has been an inspiration to me for many many years - I will be looking up the author you recommended too.
Blessed be,

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

rose hill farm
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jule Ann
Rhineland Missouri
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  12:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see rose hill farm's MSN Messenger address
I have loved Gladys Taber FOREVER! I think I can honestly say she was my first inspiration for country living! Isn't she wonderful! I think I'll check out her CLUB!
You might also like....Tasha Tudor's Garden...a book that is filled with inspiration!
Glad to know more people out there LOVE Gladys!

Jule
Farmgirl #109

Donkeys for Peace!
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  12:38:31 PM  Show Profile
When you join the club you they also send you a real printed picture of Stillmeadow - I found that very exciting! I just received a list of people wanting real pen pals too - writing a real handwritten letter has nearly become a lost art hasn't it?
Jule - I love Tasha Tudor and want that book! I also have a Corgi (one Corgi is enough hehehe, I have one because of Tasha, and all my Cockers that I raise because of Gladys - and now my one Irish Setter (Jilly, named after Jill) because of her too).
Do you have a favorite Stillmeadow book? I think I can pick up just about any one of them and open to any spot and find something that soothes my soul.I love looking through the Stillmeadow Album and looking at all the pictures of Stillmeadow and her pets - I love looking at all the tiny details, like the things on her desk and her milk glass collection. It takes me out of a stress-worn world into one where time seems to stand still. She was truly a beautiful and gifted woman *my eyes are tearing up over here*

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  1:01:56 PM  Show Profile
Yes Miss Tabor as well as Tasha are two of my favorites also. I think I have most of Tasha's books. I have six Tabor books. I also have a letter that Miss Tabor wrote to my Aunt thanking her for a gift. Its hand written on stillmeadow paper. The year 1961.And a four cent stamp.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Wow - Nancy Jo. That is very cool. Until I came to this site, I had never heard of GLadys Tabor. She sure seems to have been (or is she still alive?) the MaryJane Butters of her time!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  1:14:12 PM  Show Profile
Nancy it would be wonderful to see a picture of that wonderful letter on Stillmeadow stationery! You are indeed lucky to own that piece of memoribilia!

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  1:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Gladys Taber is my ALL TIME favorite writer and I just loved the way she lived. I grew up in Connecticut and dreamed of us as neighbors!!! I just love anything about or by her.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  2:08:46 PM  Show Profile
I have started a collection of her magazine columns - I love the old magazines they are in - it is fun to look at all the old advertisements -

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

rose hill farm
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jule Ann
Rhineland Missouri
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  2:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see rose hill farm's MSN Messenger address
Hi Kathy! The first book of hers that I read was My Own Cape Cod...then I went on a hunt and I think I have most of them. She does make you wish for a more simple time! She was and is my inspiration STILL!
I now have a farm! Because of her! How funny is that!
When I start my blog...(which I want to SOMEDAY)...Then I'll be as close to her as I can in these times....living in the country and writing about it!
Can't wait to check out her club!
Jule
Farmgirl #109

Donkeys for Peace!
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  2:27:24 PM  Show Profile
Jule you should start your blog and share all about you life with us. I never thought I would blog, but I do - you can read mine below my signature. I named my home the Enchanted Wood because I loved the idea of naming my home like Gladys did. Also, when I found that I shared my property with white deer, I truly knew it was indeed enchanted. Those very white deer made me think of Glady's unicorn that see would see "cropping the violets".
I guess, I pretty much live in my own little reality over here in the woods - it is much nicer than the real world most times.
From Gladys I learned so many things - I have learned how to be kind to others and be a good listener - I have learned to see humor in things and to love fiercely - I have learned to cherish the feel of a velvet dog muzzle in my hand - watching the way the Irish blows when she breathes - all the little nuances that without her keen eye for beauty, I might have otherwise missed.
What kinds of critters do you have on your farm? I think we might get a greenhouse put up this summer and possible a sunroom out on the deck......

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

rose hill farm
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jule Ann
Rhineland Missouri
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2008 :  2:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see rose hill farm's MSN Messenger address
Hi again Kathy!

My husband said to tell you that I married a Jersey boy! He lived in Fair Lawn and Cranford NJ....until he was about 12 years old.

Right now we have 3 donkeys, 1 turkey (a pet), 1 chicken, 2 Golden Retreivers and 1 mini-daushound.

Soon we'll be getting 5 mother sheep and their babies. My husband got them for me as a Christmas present...the mom's deliver this Month and then they are all then coming to live on our farm this spring!

Good Times!

I'd post a photo of my donkeys but I can't figure out how to do it on Farmgirl Connection.

It's so neat to meet someone that really loved Gladys too. She changed my life really. She gave me a DIRECTION!

Talk soon!

Jule
Farmgirl #109

Donkeys for Peace!
Go to Top of Page

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  7:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Dear Kathy and other Gladys Taber friends,
I'm so glad I found this topic! I just spent a lovely time browsing the Stillmeadow web site. How dear! The feeling of it reminds me of the fictional English villages of Thrushgreen and Fairacre and all their inhabitants as penned by Miss Read (Dora Saint). I have over three dozen of her books and read them over and over. Kathy, my home of 20 years is known to all my family and friends as Teacup Cottage. I love having a name for my home, my little quarter acre of earth. I was drawn to Shetland Sheepdogs from reading the journals of May Sarton. My little Bonny Marie just turned 8 last week and she is my third Sheltie (a rescue). It is a wonder how our lives can be touched so deeply by the lives and creations of people we've never met. "It's a wonderful world."

All is Well.
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  06:54:18 AM  Show Profile
I love the name Teacup Cottage - do you collect teacups? We had a teacup and saucer exchange once before, we could do it again if you were interested! I love dainty little teacups and saucers, makes me feel special!
It is funny the way we can get drawn into the world of a writer. I think Gladys would be tickled pink to know that this many years later, she still was touching hearts and molding lives after her precious Stillmeadow.
One of my cocker spaniels AKC name is actually Ode to Stillmeadow - one is called Sister, like her one cocker, one is Windy aka Poppy -
If you get a chance to look at The Magic Apple Tree by Susan Hill, you will not be disappointed - it is a charming book written much in the style of Gladys - it even has recipes- a little later I will post a few paragraphs from different sections of the book.
I ask you - can any of you think of Jill without thinking of her out in the garden bent over something?

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2008 :  2:07:39 PM  Show Profile
Okay you guys! You are making me home-sick for England!! I am obviously going to have to investigate both Gladys and Tasha because my curiosity is well and truly piqued! I love Miss Read books and can vouch for the fact that they transport you to a very real England that sort of gets lost these days in the news. Get off the beaten path and you will find the quiet little villages with thatched cottages and the most gorgeous flowers and gardens.
I think we need to charter a plane and spend a couple of weeks soaking it up!
I am looking forward to reading both Gladys and Tasha.
TTFN!Angie
Angie

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  1:02:58 PM  Show Profile
I have been a fan of Gladys Taber for a long time now. I just love the way she writes. It makes you feel like you are right there. I love cockers so I was very find of that subject. Their way of life was just so simple and friends and family (that includes the pets) were everything to them. I greatly admire Tasha Tudor too. That lady is amazing. Talk about a farm girl. And the crafts she knows, she does everything. Her books and the books about her are some of my most prized possesions. I am so happy to see their are many others who love them too.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  1:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Girls I have bought out an estate and there was several Gladys Tabor books, if any one is interested they are 3.00 each +shipping. If you are interested I will give a list of what I have thanks Miss wILMA

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  6:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I would be interested to know which Gladys Taber books you have, what a lucky buy that was!

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  7:51:38 PM  Show Profile
I will ck what I have in the morning and will post list thanks Miss wilma

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2008 :  8:33:08 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for one of the Stillmeadow books that is illustrated with I believe three cockers on the front cover, could be chronicles of stillmeadow - not sure.
Thanks

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  07:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I do not have any of her books but would love some too! (I am open to suggestions!)
Angie.

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  07:37:56 AM  Show Profile
Angie if you like books about living in the country then any of her Stillmeadow books are excellent choices - Stillmeadow Seasons, Road to Stillmeadow, Stillmeadow Sampler.....

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  11:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion Kathy. Just the names are lovely aren't they?
Ang.

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  1:50:19 PM  Show Profile
You can open any Gladys Taber book and find something that will touch you - she was such a down-to-earth woman, she never saw herself as a famous person. She touched so many lives while she was on this earth, and still touches them.

Farmgirl Sister #59

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2008 :  1:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
If anyone has extra copies of some of her older books, I think I have a few extra copies of her "newer" stuff to trade. I will look when I get back to Texas.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Fans Of Gladys Taber Club Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page