therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  9:38:11 PM  Show Profile
We went yesterday to help my 75 year old in-laws clean out their garage. Both tend to be pack rats and the garage hadn't been done in 15 years! It was so full that they could hardly get the car in. We had a 20 yard dumpster in the driveway and when we got done it was full.

My mom-in-law was in the giving away mood and I came home with so many treasures! My favorite is an electric ice cream maker that had only been used once. I've wanted one forever. Tomorrow we're going to Missy's and make ice cream. I also got some vintage linens that were my hubby's grandmothers. Those are real treasures to me since I just adored his grandma. She was quite the seamstress and I got to bring home her tomato pincushion -- I love it! I got a Sunbeam Mixmaster Mixer, Dazey Seal A Meal, a bright red metal kitchen cart from the 50's, and a really cool concrete bird bath pedestal. The pedestal had the top broken and had been painted white but the paint is now chippy. It looks so cool sitting in my yard, even without a top. I may just leave it that way.

I've been having fun all day cleaning and finding places for my "new" things.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  06:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Kay: One year a tree branch fell down and broke the top part of my ceramic bird bath. So I put a gazing ball on top. It worked great! Congratulations on all your great finds.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  6:24:36 PM  Show Profile
You know, I totally understand. Some of the most cherished items in my home aren't valuable ones; they're ones that belonged to the women who came before me. I think of them often as I use the things that were once a part of their everyday lives.

They truly are treasures.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  07:45:56 AM  Show Profile
When my grandparents moved out of their house and into an apartment, my grandmother gave me a pair of brass candlesticks that had belonged to her grandmother, and had been brought over from the Ukraine from her mother.

I light my Sabbath candles on them every week. They're wonderful.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Inherited Treasures Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page