Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Help - I need a good recipe for ice cream
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help - I need a good recipe for ice cream Next Topic  

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  02:00:10 AM  Show Profile
I promised my kids we'd make homemade ice cream tomorrow! Does anyone have a not too difficult recipe for use with the old hand crank style of ice cream maker?
THANKS very much - & my children thank you, too!

Edited by - lamamama on Sep 06 2005 02:02:45 AM

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  07:07:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh yummy!! If I give you a recipe though you have to save me some, promise??? I've been so busy lately we haven't made any and I miss it. I don't have a crank ice cream maker I only have an electic one but this is one of my family's favorites and it's sooooo easy and fairly cheap to make....

Chocolate Toffee Crunch Ice Cream

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 cup chocolate covered toffee pieces
cubed or crushed ice
rock salt

In canister for ice cream maker combine sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in cream, milk, vanilla, and salt. Whisk thoroughly until sugar is dissolved. Place lid over ice cream container. Place in machine. Layer the ice and rock salt until bucket is full. Turn machine on (or crank) until ice cream becomes very thick. Stir in toffee pieces and serve immediately or place in freezer to harden. Makes about 1 quart.

I also just bought an Amish Cookbook and it has a recipe for Homemade Vanilla Icecream. Since I just bought it I haven't made it yet so if you do let me know how it turns out.

3 cups cream
9 cups milk
7 eggs
3 1/2 cups sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
ice
rock salt

In the canister of a hand-crank ice cream maker, combine the cream, milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Insert the container into the ice cream maker and fill the outside with 5 parts ice to 1 part rock salt. Crank the ice cream maker and process until the ice cream is thick. Serves 15
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  1:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Thanks so much - I can't wait to try it.
And come over anytime for a cone - "a cold one" as my kids say.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Help - I need a good recipe for ice cream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page