Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 anyone interested in a book club?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic anyone interested in a book club? Next Topic
Page: of 6

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  11:18:39 AM  Show Profile
Alright, so I'm not a sisterhood member but am still interested in joining a book club discussion...do you still need me to e-mail you if that's the case Alee? Or should we just look for a separate thread/forum? And as wonderful as the sponsorship idea sounds, I just don't have the inclination at the moment to be a paid member...I have a hard enough time trying to get "my own stuff" done, let alone trying to earn merit badges

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  1:43:17 PM  Show Profile
I'm with laluna, I'm not a chapter member either and would just be interested in doing a book club on here.

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://KentuckyBackwoods.etsy.com
My blog: KentuckyBackwoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  2:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Alee and Melanie, I'm joining both!
Alee - I'm farmgirl #89 and my full real name is being emailed, I want to be a part of the book worms in the henhouse, but...
Melanie - i want to discuss other books as well and with everybody on the forum so sign me up for your version too! Please.
love, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89

Edited by - chessie on Feb 24 2008 3:42:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  2:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Karen, just a little hint. This forum is public, meaning anyone can read it. You can edit your comment to take your personal information out and send it directly to Alee. Just click on her name beside her share.
I was happy that someone let me know this.

May we always be in thankful contemplation of God who presides over us all.
Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  3:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Linda, thanks good to know! I will remember to do this always.
Cheers, karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2008 :  4:06:18 PM  Show Profile
does anyone mind if i "read" (ok, listen to) unabridged audio versions of the books? This way i can make soap and other shop products, work in the garden, drive to a speaking engagement, etc and also be "reading". It will be much harder for me to actually read the books in order to participate...
what are all of your thoughts on this?
Right now, I am "reading" James Herriot's "all creatures great and small" this way. It is on 12 discs and read by chritopher Timothy, the british star of the all creatures tv show and i am loving it! iT is better than when i read it the old fashioned way in high school. I have listened to maryjane's lifebook a dozen times since i bought the audio version last year. I will probably listen to it again next. Unfortunately MJF's audio book is abridged, and not the whole book, still it is enough for me because it read by the author and i love listening to MaryJanes voice... i have also read the actual book through several times to make sure i get all the wonderful info...
cheers, karen

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  07:47:36 AM  Show Profile
I am new and would like to participate too!! I am not a sisterhood member (yet), how do I sign up for the non-sisterhood version of the book club?!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  08:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karen- I ADORE audio books! I get mine as a download from Audible.com with the option to burn to your own CD's. For instance we burn a book or two for when we are doing the 15 hour drive between Idaho and our parent's place in Wyoming.

I love listening to the Ideabook too! Her voice is so soothing and it is neat to hear where she puts the emphasis on different passages and such.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  09:32:55 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I am so glad you hear things my way! thanks.
i will look into audible site... I have been buying the ones i want to listen to over and over and checking out the rest from the library. Also, my girlfriend and i swap audio books...

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Karen- I ADORE audio books! I get mine as a download from Audible.com with the option to burn to your own CD's. For instance we burn a book or two for when we are doing the 15 hour drive between Idaho and our parent's place in Wyoming.

I love listening to the Ideabook too! Her voice is so soothing and it is neat to hear where she puts the emphasis on different passages and such.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  09:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karen-

I highly recommend www.audible.com My sister and I both have accounts and we share audiobooks all the time- even though we are over 750 miles apart! You can download them onto an MP3 player, play them on the computer, or burn them to CD's. I always loose CD's to Audiobooks that I buy on tape or they get scratched and I get frustrated, so this really helps solve that problem for me. Email me privately if you would like a "sneak peek" into the world of Audible.com I have TONS of Orson Scott Card books if you are interested, plus Skinny Bleep and a few murder mysteries.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  10:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Is the book club up in the hen houses? Is it separate or is it the book discussion topic in the separate hen houses? Thanks Sherri

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I actually have thought of this too! Great Job Melanie! We used to have a book club here with about 9 of us girls but it got too hard with schedules, kids, and life! Let me know how we are going to do this.. I am not a sisterhood & agree with Laluna, I have ALOT on my plate & just do not have time for the badges right now..
thanks
Laura
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile
okay gals....I think I have a solution.....I will give it a few more days and then all of us "non-members" can have a book club, which I can organize, I don't mind, and those that are "members" can start their own book club. Does that sound good to you? please let me know. Thanks

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:21:50 PM  Show Profile
sounds great to me!! I will keep checking back for details...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  3:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Plum Creek Mama, Celtic Heart, Herbquilter-

Ladies I need you last names so we can get your "key" to work in the front door of the hen house. I can hear hammering and sawing so I know our henhouse is being built as we speak!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  5:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Sounds good, will check back!
Laura

Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  5:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Count me in Melanie, the one that will be open here in the forum.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://KentuckyBackwoods.etsy.com
My blog: KentuckyBackwoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  04:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Alee I sent you a email. Would love to be member.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

If both of our troubles were hung on a line--You would take yours and I would take mine.
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2008 :  5:21:42 PM  Show Profile
So for those of us who aren't official farmgirls, what is our plan?

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  10:51:58 AM  Show Profile
I have no clue. It looks like the members got their HenHouse together and going, hopefully the rest of us that aren't members yet can get something going soon too :) I wanna read!! :)
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  11:11:26 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies.......do we have our bookmarks ready LOL!!
For those of us that aren't "memebers" that would like to start a book club. E-mail me and I will post the list on Friday and then we can start reading. In the meantime, any suggestions for a book. I wouldn't mind EAT PRAY LOVE or ANNE OF GREEN GABLES seeing as how I am from Prince Edward Island and it is ANNE's 100 year birthday this year. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome :)

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  11:41:06 AM  Show Profile
Girls, I am going to try to both groups!
I would love, love, love to read Anne of Green Gables during the 100 year celebraion with a Prince Edward Islander! So, that is my vote for the group Melanie is heading up. MAy i suggest a name for the group? SInce i just saw the movie "The Jane Austen Book Club" (Very strange movie, don't see it...) how about the "MJF Anne of Green Gables Book Club"? of course we can read anything... It just might help to keep the group organized, etc... to have a name, any name (doesn't have to be the Anne one i suggested).
love, karen

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Jeanna
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Jeanna
Franklin NC
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  11:52:05 AM  Show Profile
I loved "The Jane Austen Book Club". I think I will try both clubs also. I love to read and since my health makes me have days when I can't do anything else I should be able to keep up.

Jeanna
Farmgirl Sister #41

If both of our troubles were hung on a line--You would take yours and I would take mine.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  12:31:26 PM  Show Profile
Jeanna, I'm glad you liked the Jane Austen Book Club, I'm sure most folks will like it. It was not for me, I did not like it. This, not liking movies that others love, is nothing new for me, since I hate Gone with the Wind! I know, I know...heard it all before... but in my estimation Scarlett is a horrible person with no redeeming qualities and I just can't like movies, no matter how great a movie, about characters i don't like. Probably one of the reasons why I did not like JA book club...
I'm glad you are doing both book groups too.
You mentioned your health - How are you feeling today? Is it a good day? I really hope so! take care.
Cheers, karen

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2008 :  1:06:33 PM  Show Profile
I vote for Anne of Green Gables
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Reading Room: Previous Topic anyone interested in a book club? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page