Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 What book influenced you the most growing up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic
Page: of 7

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  8:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Ronia the Robbers Daughter
Pippi Longstocking
Little House
Anne of Green Gables
Trolls!
Encyclopedia of Gnomes (I think this is what it was called, by Rien Poortvleit)
Pony Club Manual
Loved Nancy Drew too
Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com

Edited by - Sarahpauline on Jun 30 2010 8:05:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  10:48:29 PM  Show Profile
I also loved all the Little House Books - these are definately coming out tops on here.

I also loved all the Enid Blyton books - the idea of going off and having adventures was something I was always trying to copy - but there were never any adults around in her books - they kept stopping me!!!
Also
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden
Heidi
The Moomins

The very first book I can remember reading myself was about a group of Teddies in a nursery who came to life when the children went to bed - I can still see the pictures from it in my mind but have no idea what it was called. I remember I got it out of the library several times but have never been able to find it since.

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  3:12:49 PM  Show Profile
I would have to say the very first "Boxcar Children" book. I really liked how the kids were adult free and independent taking care of themselves and each other.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Q.
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jennifer
Irmo SC
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  5:23:31 PM  Show Profile
I had to think real hard about this one, but I finally came up with my most influential book growing up:
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck...

I read it over and over, each time crying and trying to keep the pages together (it was a very old and tattered book).
However, The Very Hungry Caterpillar book helped me to learn and talk in preschool!
Go to Top of Page

Yart
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

MI
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  7:30:34 PM  Show Profile
The Little House Series
Anne of Green Gables
Nancy Drew

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie. ~Jim Davis
http://urban-eco.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  10:46:00 AM  Show Profile
i have to agree with so many of the above responses! We were all quite the little readers weren't we!!

Little House
then Nancy Drew
Third, Anne of Green Gables

...life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

cheriemazzella
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Cherie
Saint Petersburg Florida
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  11:36:05 PM  Show Profile
A Taste of Blackberries... made me realize how special life is. There are so many others but that always stuck out...
Go to Top of Page

Lida
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Lida
Rochester NY
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  1:44:11 PM  Show Profile
I have loved to read since I was a little gorl. I read all of the classics but in praticular I remember Black beauty, Freckles (by Gene Stratton Porter), Christy (by Catherine Marshall), Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon mysteries. But I think the book that most shaped me was Pollyanna.

The books I enjoyed reading to my children were the Little House books and Horton hears a Hoo/Horton Hatches an Egg.

Lida
Go to Top of Page

Jennie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jennifer Robin
Olympic Peninsula, Washington
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  6:36:50 PM  Show Profile
I read copiously as a child, but the ones that got read more times than I can count were Peter Pan ( the old, unabridged version), Elsie Dinsmore, by Martha Finley, and my number one favorite, George MacDonald's "The Princess and the Goblin". I wanted to fly with Peter and have a fairy for a friend, be virtuous like Elsie, and follow that magical thread with little Princess Irene!

Jennifer Robin
http://robinswoods.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile
I had "How Fletcher Was Hatched" for years! My favorites were the Babar books and Freckles. For a long time I forgot the title to Freckles, but remembered the story. The ones that influenced me the most would have to be the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  4:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Yes! I am not the only one who has read and re-read "Back to Basics"! I used to browse this frequently in high school. I still have a copy.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2010 :  06:31:06 AM  Show Profile
I am just like so many of you. The Little House series really impacted me. I would read them as a child, when I was up at my parent's ranch in the hill country, and loved to pretend I was Laura! I remember not being able to put down Little Women as a second grader. Rabbit Hill was another favorite in third grade. Anyone else remember that one? Wonder if it is still in print. I just bought my daughter her first Beverly Cleary book. Loved those. In junior high, it was The Outsiders, which led me to devour anything else S.E. Hinton wrote. As an adult, I read alot, but one book that affected me is "The Delany Sisters' Book of Everyday Wisdom". Remember them? They were the two women, sisters, over 100 ears of age who lived in NYC until their deaths. They also wrote "Having Our Say, the First Hundred Years". But the little book of everyday wisdom is just that. Out of print now, I reread it every summer because it is a reminder to live simply. Everything they say there is so smart. Another one that has truly affected me is MaryJanes Idea/Life book!

Hugs!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  8:40:15 PM  Show Profile
/when I was a kid in the 50s, The Watkins man came around selling their vanilla and other spices. My mom got enough stuff that she got this cookbook with a pretty blue cover. She gave it to me. (I was about 5) Eventually I made every recipe in that book. Being an only child was very lonely. I never had anyone to do stuff with. I fell in love with baking. I still love to bake. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  8:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Yep, me too... for me it was the Little House series. I loved those books so much! I wanted to be Laura Ingalls so badly, my Grandma made me a bonnet to wear when it was on t.v. :) I didn't discover "Little Women" until I was an adult... I would love to be one of the March's, too! What would we do without good books to take us away to wonderful worlds we never otherwise could have imagined? - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

boxermama
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lolita
Carrollton OH
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  4:09:06 PM  Show Profile
Little Women, Little Men, Jo's Boys, Eight Cousins, The Five Little Peppers,All Creatures Great and Small, The Hobbit, anything by Dickens, Myths and Legends...

I only NEED 4 chickens,But I love all 32 of them!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  6:33:12 PM  Show Profile
I loved anything by Margarite Henry; Lad: A Dog; The Black Stallion;Rascal, by Sterling North; Julie of the Wolves; Bless the Beasts and Children; A Tree Grows in Brooklyn;Summer of My German Soldier; The Member of the Wedding...the list is endless.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  10:29:04 AM  Show Profile
All the books about the Melendy's by Eliza Enright and Island of the Blue Dolphins, that one taught me about how to survive.

Merry
Farmgirl #536

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

Your life is an occasion, rise to it. Mr. Magorium
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  1:30:36 PM  Show Profile
Green Eggs and Ham. Seriously, I still go to that when life gets rough LOL

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  5:03:26 PM  Show Profile
The Little House on the Prairie books...totally! I spent a better portion of my childhood pretending to be Laura Ingalls.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  5:14:27 PM  Show Profile
I think that the Little House books had some of the strongest influence on me...always wanted to live like the Ingalls family and I've even sewn a Prairie dress for myself as part of the living history program through 4H.

As far as my spiritual walk, Corrie Ten Boom's "The Hiding Place" was a book that I read over and over as a teen. I always hoped that my life in Christ would give me the strength to do what her family did, and then to give forgiveness to those that hurt them. She is an amazing woman. And I loved her stories about her father. He was so wise and such a great father and example of Christ to his family. I remember stuff from that book to this day and it keeps me inspired.

Love you all my farmgirl sisters out there!
Carrie

www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

canyonwren
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Alisha
Reno NV
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  09:49:31 AM  Show Profile
Definitely _Anne of Green Gables_, then later, around sixteen, LOTR. Like so many of you, I also enjoyed Little House books too. My mother got my name from a little girl named Alisha on the Little House tv series!
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  12:08:48 PM  Show Profile
I loved the Williamsbur Novels by Elswyth Thane. It is a series of novels starting with families before the Revolutionary War up to england in I believe WW2. I read them when I was 10 or 11 and gave me a love of history and the past that I had not experienced. I realized these were real people, afraid, hungry, hating and loving, much as we do today. I checked with Amazon to see if the first book was available. It can be purchased in prices ranging from $22-$64. Too bad it isn't still in print. Loved them.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  3:31:40 PM  Show Profile
Beatrix Potter! Oh, I can close my eyes and still see the section in my elementary school library that housed those adorable small books no bigger than a child's hand. The illustrations, the adorable clothing......

And the example they would unknowingly set for younguns: To be kind, kind and kind.
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2010 :  10:33:50 PM  Show Profile
T.A. for Tots, Green Eggs and Ham, Mine for Keeps, Jamie and the Dump Truck and the Lazy Automobile were my childhood favorites. The latter two belonged to my dad first. now we have them patched together and my niece and nephew are also enjoying them. I still think of Warm Fuzzies, Cold Pricklies and Frozzes when I ponder life's ups and downs. And when things get tough, who else but Dr. Seuss can remind you about what really matters most? Sam I am!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  6:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi there,
I think the teddy books you're remembering just might be the series by Jane Hissey. I didn't discover them until I was an adult, but they are precious: Old Bear, Little Bear Lost, and Little Bear's Trousers. The drawings are so charming as are the story lines. I hope these are the stories you remember and that you can find them.

Feythe

quote:
Originally posted by sue5901

I also loved all the Little House Books - these are definately coming out tops on here.

I also loved all the Enid Blyton books - the idea of going off and having adventures was something I was always trying to copy - but there were never any adults around in her books - they kept stopping me!!!
Also
A Little Princess
The Secret Garden
Heidi
The Moomins

The very first book I can remember reading myself was about a group of Teddies in a nursery who came to life when the children went to bed - I can still see the pictures from it in my mind but have no idea what it was called. I remember I got it out of the library several times but have never been able to find it since.

Dance like nobody's watching!

Farmgirl Sister #67
All is Well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page