Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 What book influenced you the most growing up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic
Page: of 7

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  6:44:38 PM  Show Profile
Oggie,
I read the Boxcar Children. It was entrancing! Ever since then I've imagined finding an old place to "fix up" and being challenged to do it all with only thrift store finds. I think that would be so fun and what a great group project! Did you know it was made into a TV film? I've not seen it in a while, but I bet you could even order it on DVD. Thanks for the memory!

Feythe

quote:
Originally posted by Oggie

What influenced me was my parents and the Bible. What books were my all time favorite as a child was The Boxcar Children. Does that date me or what?

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn

Farmgirl Sister #67
All is Well.
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  7:03:12 PM  Show Profile
I read everything I could get my hands on! Some that I remember though, are The Boxcar Children, The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, Orphan Train Adventures, starting with A Family Apart by Joan Lowery Nixon and there were 5 more books I think (this one I had to look up, couldn't remember the name!) Of course the Little House books, I think I read all of those. One I remember from school Where the Red Fern Grows- that one made me cry... There were so many I don't remember all of them!
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  7:06:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and then there was Anne of Green Gables, and the sequels, and The Secret Garden...
Go to Top of Page

Feythe
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Jana
Decatur GA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  7:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Apologies for the inclusion of the posts I was replying to in my recent responses ... I didn't see an option to reply without, but I will look around to figure it out.

What a delight to read all 9 pages of this topic! I loved being reminded of books I haven't thought of in years (like the Little Rabbit Who Wanted Red Wings - so precious!) and books I hadn't heard of that I can't wait to look up.

I'd have to say that Little Women was the book that influenced me the most growing up. I remember exactly where I was sitting when I reached the chapter where Beth died and tears started streaming down my face. Louisa May Alcott's birthday was a day or two ago and I wrote a post about her on my blog (www.TheNurturedEntrepreneur.wordpress.com).

Like others here, I read almost every book in our elementary school library. In addition, my Mom took me to the big downtown library every two weeks. I loved the smells and quiet. I adore libraries and books - can't imagine curling up with a cup of tea and ... a Kindle?

Read every Nancy Drew, many if not all the Trixie Belden's, probably all the Bobbsey Twins, some Cherry Ames. Didn't discover the Betsy and Tacy books by Maud Lovelace until I was an adult (through an article in Victoria magazine), but got them one by one from my library and adored every page! Anyone here a fan? One book that really intrigued me was The All-of-a-Kind Family. about a large Jewish family growing up at the turn of the century. I wanted to be part of their family.

Love the idea of a bookworm group. Thanks so much to everyone for sharing good book memories.

Farmgirl Sister #67
All is Well.
Go to Top of Page

cranberryrose55
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Jan
San Jose California
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  10:15:18 PM  Show Profile
My side of the Mountain and Euell Gibbons Books, A Girl of the Limberlost, Living like Indians, I grew up in the Mountains and loved to walk the meadows and the woods.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  07:21:59 AM  Show Profile
I can't limit it to just a single book either. I loved the Little House series, Little Women series, Ring of Light. Two that come to mind that I still think about sometimes are both by Julie Edwards (aka Julie Andrews...yes, the actress). "The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles" and "Mandy". Loved both of them.....

"Women are angels...and if someone breaks our wings...we fly on our brooms...we're flexible like that!" -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  2:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Bible stories- especially Esther, what a brave, courageous woman!
Anne of Green Gables (and all the following books) is a first!
Emily of New Moon (also by L.M. Montgomery)
Little Women
Little House on the Prairie
Betsy-Tacy books
Daughters of Destiny
Elsie Dinsmore

Just to name a few! I still love reading these books.

~Breanna

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  2:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Easy for me. ... The Blue Willow Plate, by Doris Gates. This was the book that opened up reading for me.. and changed my life!!

God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  5:28:10 PM  Show Profile
I am the only child of my parents and reading was something that I learned early and have loved it ever since. Since I had no brothers or sisters to play with, I was reading often. I went to the Central Library in downtown Los Angeles on Saturdays and to my neighborhood library often. My library card was a treasure to me then and now. There were soooo many books that I read as a child and as a teenager. If I had to select one that really moved me it would be "GONE WITH THE WIND". I loved Scarlett O'Hara. I would hope that as an adult now, there might even be a little bit of Scarlett in me. I also loved all the NANCY DREW books and to this day, I am still an avid mystery reader.

"Find your own Calcutta!" Mother Teresa

Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  6:11:31 PM  Show Profile
I like the books by the following authors Judy Blume, Number the Stars Lois Lowry, Across Five Aprils by irene Hunt, Beverly Clearly, Boxcar Children, Jane Plaidy, SE Hinton, Cynthia Voight, My Brother Same is Dead, The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi (I loved this book), American Girl series (I loved the Kirsten ones especially), orphan train series, and Lurlene McDaniel series of one last wish. I loved books that especially had a history theme to them. Those are all of the ones that I can think of right now. Although I didn't read the books as children I loved the movies of the secret garden, Chronicles of Narnia, little house on the prairie (which I have since read), Anne of Green Gables (which I have read all of them now).

Farmgirl Sister #2619

Edited by - vmfein on Feb 08 2011 6:13:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  6:42:29 PM  Show Profile
I also forgot about the babysitters club and the sweet valley high books as well.totally 80's books. My sister even had the sweet valley high boardgame. lol

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  06:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Little House on the Prairie and Judy Blume

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  10:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever read books by Betty Cavanna?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  4:59:45 PM  Show Profile
I haven't read any books by Betty Cavanna. I really loved the Little House in the Prairie series, Juy Blume, anything by Madeline L'Engle, Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis... gosh this is making me remember all the really great books for kids that are out there!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  11:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Oh My Gosh , I Loved "Blue Willow" ! I loved O Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" The "Little House" books were among my favorites.
Maybe you ladies could help me with a book. I read it when I was in grade school, but for the life of me I don't remember the author or title!
It took place in the 30's-40's era. The main character was a young boy that had moved with his family from the farm to the city. He missed the farm,grass and growing a garden. He and his city friends hauled dirt in their pockets to the roof of their apartment to start a garden.
Sound familar to anyone? If i can find it I would love to read it to my grandson
Susan
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  5:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Reading through these 10 pages made me remember another series I loved and that no one mentioned. Growing up with 3 brothers and a male cousin in the same house I was the only girl and a tomboy so I read their books since I was the youngest. The series I loved beside the Boxcar Children was Homer Price! Especially Homer and the Doughnut Machine or something about doughnuts! I loved all of Robert McCloskey books along with Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Make Way for Ducklings. And now that I look back on it I think it must have been fate because I married a Mainiac and have now lived in Maine for 30 years! I also have a field full of blueberries! I read all of these books growing up in Minnesota.

I have to mention also that every Saturday morning we were given our 25 cent allowance and allowed to walk into town to the 5 & 10. There we would buy a comic book and some candy and then we would take turns reading each other's comics. I hated most of my brothers comics but I loved to trade with my cousin because he'd buy Archie or Richie Rich so we could both read them. What a sweet guy!

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

ric-barb
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Barb
New Fairfield Connecticut
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  05:12:36 AM  Show Profile
Little House in The Big Woods and I still have and treasure it today. It is my dream property and house to live simply on a prairie.
Go to Top of Page

JEN000
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jennifer
Omaha NE
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  08:53:56 AM  Show Profile
I read a book when I was about 10. It was about a little girl in an orphanage that discovered an old run down cottage outside of the brick wall surrounding the orphanage. She fixed it up and made it her own. I believe she met some friends in the woods and was eventually discovered by the orphanage. I think I remember reading that for some reason she was allowed to continue visiting the cottage. I have searched many times over the years for this book but can't remember the title or the author. Shortly after I read the book we had tornados break all the huge trees in half (so they were turned upside down like teepees) at the park down the street from my house. All of us neighbor kids turned those trees into homes - until the state came and took them away. That summer we spent our entire waking hours in those trees or in the creek. It was the best time of my life and I think the book started it all. If anyone has read this book and can let me know the title, I would be very thankful. I'd love for my daughter to read it.
Go to Top of Page

SunnyJam
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Jamie
Seattle WA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  3:43:16 PM  Show Profile
JEN000, I think that's "Mandy" by Julie Edwards. (aka Julie Andrews)

Farmgirl Sister #2504
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  05:00:50 AM  Show Profile
The boxcar children books were my favorites!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TansyShy
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Joanna
Wasilla AK
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  8:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Send TansyShy an AOL message  Click to see TansyShy's MSN Messenger address  Send TansyShy a Yahoo! Message
I had several favorite books as a child. But I might able to narrow it all down.

Heidi by Johanna Spryi
The American Girl books
I am Regina by Sally M Keehn
Indian Captive by Lois Lenski
All of a kind Family
Little house on the Prairie books
A Little Princess
Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard
The Secret Garden
The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
Christy by Catherine Marshall

Farm girl Sister #907

http://joannasmusings.blogspot.com/

Crayola skies for a thousand miles.
~Charmed Life~
Uptown Girls Soundtrack
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  06:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Jennifer, I have an old copy of "Mandy", that I would be more than happy to send to you. Just email your address to me if you're interested. BTW, your summer of the upside down trees sounds awesome! I think my favorite book growing up was To Kill a Mockingbird, but every time I read this thread I am reminded of many other books that I loved almost as much! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  09:47:48 AM  Show Profile
the Little House on the Prairie series
Gone with the Wind
Diary of Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

JEN000
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jennifer
Omaha NE
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  1:03:34 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy! Thank you SunnyJam and MaggieMB! It is like I'm being reunited with a long lost friend.
Go to Top of Page

Taos Lyn
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Lyn
Taos NM
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  7:01:26 PM  Show Profile
The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
Harriet the Spy
Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page