Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 What book influenced you the most growing up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic
Page: of 7

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  7:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh My gosh Kristin! I LOVED The Little Rabbit who wanted Red Wings! I remember having my parents buy it for me from the book fair that our school hosted each year. In Fact, I am sure it is still on some bookcase at my Parent's house!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  10:13:38 AM  Show Profile
When I was in my pre-teens I loved all of the Nancy Drew books.

When I was about 13 I discovered Canadian author Charles de Lint and his have been by far my favourite books ever since.

There's nothing like sitting down with a good cup of coffee or tea, put some music on and get lost in a good book. Television has nothing over reeading.

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  5:36:11 PM  Show Profile
quote:
[i]

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

What a wonderful quote!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  10:29:55 AM  Show Profile
My fourth grade teacher read aloud from the Little House series to our class each day. I will never forget how much I loved the half hour listening to her read. Even though I read them myself later, I was most influenced by listening and picturing life on the prairie.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2008 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile
This thread has fascinated me since it was first started. I thought it would be so easy to answer because I'm such an avid reader and book-lover, but it took me forever to think this through. I can only narrow it to two books, not one (sorry).

1 -- Charlotte's Web, which my 3rd grade teacher read aloud to us, reading a bit every day after lunch recess while we laid our heads down on our desks and settled down a bit after getting all hyped up on lunch and kickball. I remember laying there one day, listening to her voice and looking at my classmates -- even those who hated to read -- spellbound by her reading, when I decided that I wanted to be a teacher someday.

2 -- The first book in the Nancy Drew series -- Clue in the Old Clock, or Mystery of the Old Clock. Those books are still in storage, so I'm not sure of the title. That is the book my sister used to teach me to read when I was 4 years old, and when I finished, it's the first book I bought for myself out of my allowance.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!

Edited by - happymama58 on Nov 23 2008 12:43:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  10:52:25 AM  Show Profile
My fifth grade teacher read the whole series of Little House on the Prairie. I also loved the Anne of Green Gables books. For every birthday and Christmas I got the Donna Parker books. My parents purchased a set of World Book Encyclopedias when I was in the 4th grade from a door to door salesman. I will never forget the day the mailman brought them to the door. I spent hours reading and looking at the pictures. They opened the world up to a small town country girl.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2008 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
I know this is going to sound crazy but I was in the 7th grade and remember reading "The Princess Bride" although it was titled "Buttercup" or something like that. I was lying in bed reading, even though I was supposed to be asleep. I was captivated by the fact that this couple dearly loved each other even though circumstances made it impossible for them to be together, then when you thought things were finally going to work out tragedy strikes. I just remember lying there in tears knowing I should put the book away but not being able to stop reading it. LOL I am currently reading Walking in my Boots, great stories! Strong women in these stories, lots of inspiration.
Lori

www.farmgirlinthemaking.blogspot.com

Farmgirl at Heart #397
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I also loved Gone With the Wind, and Anne of Green Gables, and of course, Little Women.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

artistickitty
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Artistickitty
hillcountry Texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  12:42:39 PM  Show Profile
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
quote:
Originally posted by artistickitty

"Fly-by-Night" by K.M. Peyton

This is the book that set me on my path, my passion for horses. I already had Horse Fever but this book pushed me over the brink. Shortly after devouring every word of this little gem, I began taking English riding lessons, started showing Hunter ponies, joined Pony Club, and experienced the happiest times of my life. I never did overcome that Horse Fever....thankfully.

I've discovered in the past hour that K.M. Peyton has a plethora of horse stories out there. I found an old hardback copy via Amazon and can't wait for it to get here. I think these reader's reviews say it all......

http://www.amazon.com/Fly-night-K-M-Peyton/product-reviews/0955191092

My darling girl, when are you going to understand that "normal" isn't a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage. - Frances Owens from Practical Magic

Edited by - artistickitty on Jun 16 2010 1:01:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

artistickitty
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Artistickitty
hillcountry Texas
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  1:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Apologies for the multiple post/edits. Trying to get a handle on the techie stuff here...not my forte....at all.

My darling girl, when are you going to understand that "normal" isn't a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage. - Frances Owens from Practical Magic
Go to Top of Page

Odie
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Viola
Fort Pierce Florida
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  7:58:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Odie a Yahoo! Message
The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach. It was light-hearted and whimsical. (what I needed).

Pay attention to the poets, you need them and you know it. -some long ago radio announcer
Go to Top of Page

miss kris
True Blue Farmgirl

118 Posts

kris
mi
USA
118 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  3:17:52 PM  Show Profile
I really didn't read much when I was a kid because of dyslexia - but I read Heidi - the story still is with me from time to time. I also give a copy to my granddaughter. Miss Kris

For I know the plans I have for you...Jer.29:11
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  6:47:31 PM  Show Profile
What comes to mind for me is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

"Serene was a word you could put to Brooklyn, New York. Especially in the summer of 1912."

I just loved the character Francie Nolan!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2010 :  8:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Mother West Wind series my grandmother read to me when I was young.
My Side of the Mountian
Plantation Trilogy
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  07:26:21 AM  Show Profile
Black Beauty and The Black Stallion series....I was and still am horse crazy!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
I would have to say the Bible comes in first. We had the Little House books read to us. I liked several of Louisa May Alcott's books. I remember reading all the books with Brer Rabbit and other animals.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  3:56:00 PM  Show Profile
What influenced me was my parents and the Bible. What books were my all time favorite as a child was The Boxcar Children. Does that date me or what?

Life is Beautiful with Bunnies
www.thedewhopinn.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/thedewhopinn
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2010 :  8:47:05 PM  Show Profile
I would have to sat the bible and "Little Women"
Deb
10.00 tutus @

http://fairiesflowersandfireflys.blogspot.com

http://brandyannessoycandles.blogspot.com

Get 5.00 off of our 16 oz soy jar candles @

http://oldesaltboxscents.blogspot.com

We are having a sale@
http://pilgrimsandpioneersprimitives.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  08:19:00 AM  Show Profile
Everyone has listed most of the books that I remember. Going to the library with my dad is a fond memory. Just the smell of the books and to touch them. I felt like I was in a secret world. Everyone was quiet and you could just sit in a corner. The only books that no one mentioned would be how Fletcher hatched and mister God this is Anna. I am going to read some of the books listed that I have not read. Love this thread, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  7:25:29 PM  Show Profile
I still love the Helga Sandburg books about horses... "Blueberry" and "Gingerbread" adolescent girls will love it, out of print now but available through used book sellers.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  3:47:48 PM  Show Profile
The James Herriot series... "All Creatures Great and Small" is the first in the series and loved everyone of this series, growing up on a Farm with parents who encouraged my extreme love of all animals, wild and domesticated, and my Dad who built more cages than I can count, for all the injured and orphan babies I brought home and helped me nurse/raise them up to be returned to the wild where they belong.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Marlies Schmitt
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Marlies
Nampa Idaho
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  07:00:16 AM  Show Profile
This is my first time on the Farmgirl Connection site! I'm so excited.
Little House on the Prairie
Nancy Drew Series
Anne of Green Gables

Marlies

Duck Lane Winery
Go to Top of Page

TeaPriestess
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Dionne
Duluth Georgia
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  10:42:04 AM  Show Profile
I read all of Judy Blume's books and the Nancy Drew series as well. Oh and I loved Beverly Clearly books!
This is a great list! I never read the Little House books so I checked Little House in the Big Woods out from the library last week...what a charming story!

"Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world."- Tien Yiheng
Yay I'm Farmgirl Sister #1690!
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  2:54:55 PM  Show Profile
... I gotta say Amelia Bedelia, hands downs! (okay my hands are not down, in fact my fingers are currently typing)

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  6:18:00 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the forum Marlies - I loved all those books too!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page