Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 What book influenced you the most growing up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic
Page: of 7

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  8:42:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm sitting here trying to decide which ones had the biggest impact and I'm not sure. I was raised in a Christian home so the Bible and various Bible story books would be on the list. Then from school I would have to say, Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames (got me interested in nursing), Jack London, Mark Twain, and The Happy Hollisters. I read alot so it's hard to pinpoint just a few. I have read most of the books already mentioned.

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:58:29 AM  Show Profile
Little House on the Prairie and I love the Beatrix Potter books!
Laura

http://cottagekids-laura.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  11:02:03 AM  Show Profile
With out a doubt, the Little House on the Prairie series. Gave me my first glimpse of that 'can do' spirit. I read so much as a kid, but those are the books that stick with me.

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2008 :  07:54:35 AM  Show Profile
I loved to read as a kid too . . . still do! I loved Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie and any biography on women in history, such as Helen Keller, Betsy Ross, Joan of Arc, etc. But one of the books that had the biggest influence on me from about aged 10 to 12 was my "Pioneer Girls" handbook. Pioneer Girls were kind of like a country version of Girl Scouts. I learned how to do the most amazing things! I was the queen, even as a pre-teen, at Macrame Owls and could make a mean strawberry jelly! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  6:47:18 PM  Show Profile
Reading is one of my favorite things to do. In elementary school it was definitely Little House series. In middle school it was Little Women, which is still my fave alltime. In high school it was anything Jane Austen. In college, whatever was required. Now I love going back to the Anne series and Jane Austen.

Blessings!
~Farrah
www.homesteadblogger.com/keeperofthehome/

Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2008 :  9:04:38 PM  Show Profile
My all time favorite-Secret Garden. Five Little Peppers, Poppy Seed Cakes, Jack London, Beatrix Potter and Hans Christian Andersen.It's great to reminisce.

Follow Your Bliss

Edited by - KatyDo on Jul 31 2008 9:06:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2008 :  07:46:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Anyone ever read "Toyon: A Dog of the North and His People" or "Silver Chief: A Dog of the North"?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  7:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh, how I love to read. Our little farming community has one of the Carnegie libraries. Fireplace, grandfather clock ticking away, and beautiful marble and woodwork. Very small but it took hundreds of childen on journeys exploring their world through books. Every summer a reading program was held with ribbons given out for the most books read.

The books that most influenced me as a child were :

Little House On The Prairie Series
Lois Lenski Series
Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (showing my age here )
Little Women
Any of the biographies for children

What do you read now? Does anyone collect children's books or cookbooks? I have a few of the Tip and Mitten, Dick and Jane series books and Under The Big Top. Would like to find the large book (flip cart) teachers used to covert into framed prints.

Stacks of books of all subjects are on the night table, potters bench and basket in car. Never without a book if possible.

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page

JILLSEWSIT
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

JILL
RACINE WI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2008 :  8:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I started off as an English teacher and am not a big reader. I liked Nancy Drew Series
Alas Babylon
In cold Blood by Truman Capote
Shakespeare.

Note: I am in Racine, WI. Is there a chapter near Chicago? I can't find the list of chapters lately.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  1:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Oh my gosh, what a long answer I could give to this question! Reading was a major part of my childhood, young adulthood, and still today what would life be without books?
I read almost every Nancy Drew book, and to this day regret donating them all to a charity thrift store.. but hopefully they have been well-read by many other little girls!

The Perilous Gard, The Moorchild, Little House on the Prairie books, Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Boxcar Children, Sherlock Holmes, fairy tales and spin-offs of them, Wizard of Oz series, Alice in Wonderland series, The Phantom Tollbooth, The Plug at the Bottom of the Sea.. wow I can't possibly list them all!

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  7:28:29 PM  Show Profile
I forgot in my last post here to add "Pollyanna"...I loved that book and still do!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile
I loved (and was deeply influenced by) "horse books." ANything with a horse on the cover, I checked it out. When my parents were able to buy a book for me, it was usually a horse book, but a special one, like Misty of Chincoteague. I also loved Nancy Drew and later the Hardy Boys, too. I read them in their earliest incarnations, when "roadsters" roamed the earth. But I think I was most influenced by Little Women. Like most girls I knew, I identified most with Jo. I think it's possible that my aversion to marriage (until I was pushing 50) may have its roots in that book. The chapter on Meg in the Dovecote pretty much soured me on marriage, although if there had been a Laurie in my life, I'd have snapped him up without question! I kind of understood Amy, actually, though I understood I was supposed to find her selfish and shallow. She wasn't, not really. In her honor, I still go all warm and squishy when I see Faber's drawing pencils in an art supply store. Beth? Well, she liked kittens. You can say that for her.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile
I didn't read these growing up, but I love the Little House books. Have them all and still read them. I saw the tv show and maybe the books were around at that time too. But since I don't read Dutch books, just bought them when we visited Canada 14 times, hehe. SO that is when I started reading them, as an adult.

I love reading about the hardships, the way they eat snow candy and how the work the land and the crops etc. etc.
LOVE them, OH and the big snow storm when they had to walk behind eachother next to the buildings. Or they would wander into the prairie and get lost! I loved that one, could see it in front of me etc.

HAVE to read them again, as soon as my attention span is up to par

(Only Elvis is a black kitten :) )

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG

Edited by - dutchy on Aug 18 2008 12:19:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile
Did anyone else read Trixie Beldon books? I loved them growing up!

Wrinkle in time was my absolutle favorate. I still get it out from time to time. As an adult I have read most all of Madeline L'Engles books and find great joy in them.

I loved any kinds of horse books fiction and non fiction.

Also Little house on the Prairie.

whiteraven

Life is what you make it!

Edited by - whiteraven on Aug 18 2008 2:38:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  4:19:14 PM  Show Profile
The one book that I just loved -- it immediately pops into my head -- is 'Mrs. Mike' -- it's a wonderful love story about a young woman who marries and moves to the great north -- just a wonderful book! Look it up -- I think it's on Amazon.

And now I am a 'Mrs. Mike' -- that is, my husband's name is Mike!

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

spiral sage
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

crystal
rock hill sc
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  2:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello all, I am new to this forum, so glad I found y'all.
The books that most influenced me where two books by Phyllis Shaudys 'The Pleasure of Herbs' and 'Herbal Treasures' they were my first glimpse of herbs and have kept me hooked ever since.
and a book titled "The Farmers Wife" I read it in 9th grade from our small school library. it was about a city girl that married a farmer and her first year on the farm, it was funny and delightful, made me want to marry a farmer. (I did not however) I have never been able to find this book since.
I never read the little house books, I did watch every episode though. My middle son has read most of the little house books.

insanity is doing what you've always done and expecting something different to happen.
http://twistedthyme.blogspot.com/
http://www.xanga.com/twistedthyme
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  7:10:08 PM  Show Profile
The Trixie Belden books were my absolute favorites!! A friend in my class at school (5th grade) always got the latest books right away and after she read them she lent them to me. When I got a couple of my own I thought I hit the jackpot! I think they fostered my love of mysteries that I have today! I look for Trixie Belden books all the time at flea markets and used book stores and never find them. Bobbsey Twins, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew but no Trixie Belden!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  7:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Harriet the Spy, Nancy Drew, Little Women, then Agatha Cristie

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone :) Avid reader here and think most of my childhood favs have been covered. 5th grade teacher read all of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books to us so of course I love those. Boxcar children was a 2nd grade favorite. I forget the author of that book. I wanted to live in a rail road car for a long time...LOL. Loved Little Women and Men. Excellent books. Jack London's Call of the Wild was a fav as I'm an animal lover. As an adult I'm hooked on historical romances and loved Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice. Also all time favorite is Katherine by Anya Seton. I've so enjoyed PBS broadcasts of Jane Austin's books made into movies. Does everyone know about free sites online to read classics?
If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get the addy for you.
Go to Top of Page

pasofino
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Claudia
Stony Creek New York
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  04:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Send pasofino a Yahoo! Message
I have to agree with Rosemary....anything to do with horses...and I am still that way, last book I read was about Epona. "The Horse Goddess"

Claudia
Sisterhood #328
http://www.wolfpondstables.com
http://friendsofwolfpond.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  04:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Wow, you know you're in the right place when you read 5 pages of posts and realize that the farmgirls love the books you love. Harriet the Spy lovers, unite!

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Hanalu
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

Hana
Redwood City California
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  11:47:40 AM  Show Profile
The Box Car Children....after I read those books my friends and I would play around my dad's fruit trees that we were abandoned by our parents and could only eat the plums that fell on the ground...HAHA!
Ramona Quimby Age Eight! I loved that book! Remember Bezsus and Picky Picky?
In my teen years I read the Christy Miller Series over and over! Those books were probably the most influential on my life!
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  8:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Anything that was OLD....pioneerish, country, horsey, and farm animal, but, the most one, I think is the Bible...not that I understood it, but, tried my best in my childlike thinking to follow it, and it has carried over in my life today,...... love all, be kind, help others....Mother use to say, "Remember Terri...if you want others to be kind to you, then no matter how they treat you, you must be kind to them"....tough stuff.....

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2008 :  8:15:42 PM  Show Profile
A tree grows in Brooklyn and Little Women, Charles Dickens A christmas story. Gosh there are many others... I think I started with Dick & Jane & See Spot Run. Muff the kitten...Now ya know how old I am....

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2008 :  7:46:59 PM  Show Profile
I loved "the Little Rabbit who wanted Red Wings" as a tiny little one. It is a great story about learning to love who you already are. I also loved the "Large and Growly Bear". If I remember right it teaches not to be afraid. I tend to like read a loud type books since I work with children. If you haven't read "Frog and Toad" books I would suggest picking up a few even as an adult. They will make you laugh and have such great lessons about life in general. Happy Reading

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page