Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 What book influenced you the most growing up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic
Page: of 7

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  07:38:53 AM  Show Profile
Honestly...my two favorite classics were to Kill a Mockingbird and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!! Read the Little House books, The Chronicles of Narnia and Where the Red Fern Grows to my kids...the latter made both my son and myself ball our eyes out!!!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  08:00:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh! I love the Walter Farley books, James Herriot and such as well! I even wanted to be a vet for a really long time because of the James Herriot books. That's even why I live in Moscow!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  10:39:16 AM  Show Profile
This brought back some great memories for me, too.

My Side of the Mountain...had forgotten about that book but WOW, did I ever love it at the time! I relaly need to re-read that to see how close I've stayed (or strayed) from the influence of that book. Also, the Anne of Green Gables books, Nancy Drew, and do you remember Pippi Longstocking?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  10:58:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Where the Red Fern Grows. Haven't been able to read it since 4th grade. I've never made myself sooo upset before---my mom actually had to take the book away from and me and tell my teacher that I had "read enough" of it. I actually threw up from crying

I too love James Herriot--I'm actually reading (re-re-re-re) his short stories right now. Can't get enough of them.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  3:13:04 PM  Show Profile
All the Misty of Chincoteague books. The original one was the first hardcover book I ever owned.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  05:04:51 AM  Show Profile
All of the horse books...I never got over being a horse mad girl :P , all animal stories books from realistic to not, Rabbit Hill, Watership Down, later the Tolkein books, anything mythological, Little Women, Dickens and a lot of the classics....I cried myself silly over Where the red fern grows...

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  3:34:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi All! Happy Spring! Some favorite books I read growing up: Little Women, Little Men, The Secret Garden, Nancy Drew, The Dana Girls books, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Cheaper by the Dozen, fairy tales and biographies written for children about all kinds of interesting people. I loved to read and still do. I have this disease called "BOOKS". I am having so much fun reading with my granddaughters now.

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2008 :  3:36:16 PM  Show Profile
P.S. Out of all the books I just spoke about (previous post) I think the one book that most influenced me was probably Little Women. Great book!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

nelia48
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Cora
Spring Hill FL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2008 :  07:03:14 AM  Show Profile
I know most of you probably never heard of it, but the books I read over and over and over again and meant the most to me was the Elsie Dinsmore series. I see they have just reprinted the series. It takes place in the Civil War era in the south. Great Christian morals and principals taught in these books!

Cora

http://hiddenrichessecretplaces.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2008 :  09:50:16 AM  Show Profile
The books that influenced me the most were Anna Sewell's "Black Beauty", the Walter Farley series "The Black Stallion" and the "Misty of Chincoteague" series....Can you tell I love horses?

Kim

" Life's A Garden- Dig It! " Joe Dirt
Go to Top of Page

Claudelle
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Karla
Corbett Oregon
USA
32 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  12:54:07 PM  Show Profile
Although I read almost every book in my elementary school library...the two books that I loved so much I've given them as gifts are: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell and Sadako & The Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr. =)

Karla
Farmgirl Sister #171
Free Tibet!
Go to Top of Page

ErinW
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Erin
Corbeil ON
Canada
17 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Like just about everyone else, Little Women and Little House top my list. I've always credited Ma Ingles with giving me the desire to have a 'make-do' lifestyle. Her favourite adages still wander through my mind all the time.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 05 2008 :  5:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am an Ann of Green Gables girl....But,If you have little girls, I would recommend a series of books from a girl in my hometown.. they are absolutley "farmette" worthy... you can check them out at www.mokitime.com ..... I have all boys.. Most now grown... but I have the series, just in case I get grandgirls someday :) had these books been around when I was little I would have loved them...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

HAINAngel2000
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Mary
Sweet Home OR
USA
157 Posts

Posted - May 06 2008 :  3:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Ramona the pest
Any Beverly cleary books (I met her in person)
Walt Maury books-gentle Ben (I also met him in person)
Charlotte's web
Where the red fern gowns
Any books that were biographies of Jewish people that suffered and survived the Holocaust. I remember being 14 and reading book and cried through the whole thing. That book impacted me so much. It opened reality of other peoples persecutions.

Email: info@heavenlyangelsinneed.com
Bereavement: http://Heavenlyangelsinneed.org
Blog: http://Heavenlyangelsinneed.blogspot.com/
Home: http://rockypointschool-homestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlkate
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

kate
bryan TX
USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 31 2008 :  7:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow-what memories. My favs were:
My side of the mountain
Little Women
Black Beauty
Little House series
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Watership Down
Cheaper by the Dozen, and of course...
Charlottes Web.

I think the one that changed my perspective on life was My Side of the Mountain. I wanted to run away and do that. Heck, I still want to run away and do that!

"You only have what you give...""
Go to Top of Page

MsSadie
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

SD
Texas
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2008 :  10:46:13 AM  Show Profile
Anne of Green Gables for sure.

http://artsyetc2.blogspot.com/
http://www.pbase.com/sadie04
Go to Top of Page

Soozy-B
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Susan
Glendale WI
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2008 :  10:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Soozy-B a Yahoo! Message
Like so many of you, I loved the Little House series of books. But one of my all-time favorites was The Secret Garden. I remember reading that book over & over, especially on cool & rainy summer days, when the weather seemed to match the feeling of the book & lonely little Mary Lenox, before she found her secret garden & brought it back to life!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  05:27:35 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree with LALUNA about A Wrinkle in Time....and A Wind in the Door and the other books that were part of that series. Charles Wallace and Meg became part of my family. I first read them when I was in third grade....and then every other year for a couple of decades. I bought them for my nephew when he began reading...and now he is approaching 20 and loves Charles Wallace and Meg as much as much as I do. I think your students will respond positively toward your choice of books. I also read every Nancy Drew mystery...and all the Little House books also. When I was in the classroom my students all loved the Ramona books. They are some of my favorites too.

Farmgirl sister #234

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2008 :  06:23:47 AM  Show Profile
The first book that MOST influenced my life for sure was My Side of the Mountain. I have always loved the challenge of being as self-sufficient as possible and later when I was 14 it was The Diary of Anne Frank....there were a lot of other books I loved but these 2 I think, truly influenced who I became and what I valued more than any others. But there were The Five Little Peppers, The Bobbsey Twins (can you tell my age? LOL!), Nancy Drew, ALL animal books...the Chincoteague books, Walter Farley and the Lassie and Laddie books,(the author escapes me right now) and Jack London and when I was a kid we used to be able to buy these cute little books for a nickle or a dime and they were westerns...I sure wish I still had some of those books!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  03:37:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
I Absolutely LOVED to read as a child and do to this day, though not as much as I would like! the books that influenced me the most were; The Little House Series (LOVE LOVE LOVE that set to this day!!!), The Sam Campbell Series, Mystery at Christmas Tree Farm, Back to Basics (yes I use to read and re-read this as a child!!), and God's Minutes. And has that list of favortites grown!! I too have the "Book" problem but firmly believe you can never have too many!!!

I have enjoyed reading everyones list and have to go check our "My Side of the Mountain" because I never heard of it!!

Hugz to All!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:40:50 PM  Show Profile
I read pretty much anything and everything I could get my hands on. However my all-time favorite books were the entire Anne of Green Gables series. I SO related to Anne! I loved Little Women as well. I got the chance to go to Green Gables on PEI a few years ago, it's every bit as beautiful there as the book described. :)
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow! This is a great question! When I was growing up I read like a maniac! I absolutely loved reading and still do! There were many books that influenced me. "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret" was a very important book for me growing up. I read it many times. My mother gave it to me. "Where the Red Fern Grows" was so amazing! My teacher read this aloud to my class in elementary school. After she finished the book we watched the movie. "Anne of Green Gables" is a classic! "Island of the Blue Dophin" all I can say is wow! Nancy Drew was one of my fave book series'. Harry Potter (I grew up during the huge HP surge)was and still is so great! I have read each about a million times lol!

Chelsey
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:30:25 PM  Show Profile
I'll probably date myself here, but when I was a kid I loved the Pipi Longstocking books and the Borrowers. And I loved Tom Sawyer. Lucky me I live only about an hour from Hannibal MO, so we've done all the Mark Twain touristy stuff, but it's also where one of my favorite B&B is located.

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  2:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I LOVE Pipi Longstocking and the Borrowers! I love how much imagination those books have!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pink rose garden
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jess
west olive michigan
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  7:36:52 PM  Show Profile
Little House On the Prairie.I loved everything about them! Know I read them to my Daughter on lazy sundays after lunch!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic What book influenced you the most growing up? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page