Page: of 4

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  03:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Most lefties, even if they were taught to write with their right hand can do it. For a while I took notes that way at school since I sat besides a nasty girl who always tried to copy my notes etc- that way she could not read them. I also taught myself the old German style of writing which was illegible to her too.
But backwards was most comfortable.

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Wow Nadine! That's amazing! I bet your pen collection is phenomenal! My dad is a lefty as well. I'll have to see if he does the backwards writing thing :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  03:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Hello Rosemary,
so nice to hear from other pen-lovers. I have a great pen for dipping and a nib that is just right for it- and I must use it more often....

As for the Montblancs- I tried many and actually asked about a custom nib but in the end- it would have been way more expensive than other pens around and just for the sake of owning one.... I got a Waterman Audace instead and the girly pen worked without any trouble. And it cost I think 1/5 of the Meisterstück... :)

I guess I am lucky to be in a country where fountain pens are used often- I have never had any trouble finding inks and such- the art supply store has the entire Herbin and Caran d'Ache collection and most stores over in France (I live on the border) carry them too. My favourite stores were in Italy though- handmade books, pens, specialty inks......

I am currently hunting for some German scented inks- they have chocolate ink and ink made from real beer and one teacher ink- red but scented. I want that one so bad!!!

But on the other hand- at work...... I use Sharpies most of the time. :) I use transparency foils quite often.

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!

Edited by - NadKnitBlog on Jul 23 2008 03:14:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  05:54:44 AM  Show Profile
I find fancy pens very appealing, but being a lefty I thought they were something I had to forego because I make such a mess smudging the ink. Especially on greeting cards, because the paper is shiny-coated and the ink floats on it for awhile before drying. I hate sending cards for that reason, and it makes me feel like I'm missing out. The company I work for recently merged with the Reuters company, and they gave every employee a refillable Parker pen to celebrate the new name and logo. Maybe I should look for different kinds of ink cartridges to put in it? I'm excited to think it might be possible for me to be a better writer. I've never tried writing backwards, but I have tried writing with my right hand and I can do it fairly legibly.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  06:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary- I emailed you!

Nadine- That is so funny! I used to have people copy my notes so I learned how to write in Clawrite
http://www.spinnys.com/clawrite/clawrite.html

It is fun to write but hard to read at first. You have to translate in you mind. But if you have friends that are willing to learn you can learn to read it just as fast as normal writing. It drove my teacher NUTS because he couldn't tell if we were actually taking notes. Once he realized we were though he didn't care.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  07:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Dear Amie,
do not give up on pens! I'm a leftie and there are several things you can do. Test some different inks- some take ages to dry and these are not for lefties- they will definitely smudge. If you have a very broad pen a lot of ink flows out and it takes longer to dry than with a fine nib. And if nothing helps- use a sheet of blotting paper under your hand. :)
The paper does make a different- shiny cards are indeed tricky. Find a writing pad of cream unlined paper and fold it in half to put into the greeting card- it looks good and no smudges. Plus, the recipient could even reuse the card again.
As a leftie a lot is trial and error. Some pens are instant friends for life- others can be your worst enemy.

quote:
Originally posted by Amie C.

I find fancy pens very appealing, but being a lefty I thought they were something I had to forego because I make such a mess smudging the ink. Especially on greeting cards, because the paper is shiny-coated and the ink floats on it for awhile before drying. I hate sending cards for that reason, and it makes me feel like I'm missing out. The company I work for recently merged with the Reuters company, and they gave every employee a refillable Parker pen to celebrate the new name and logo. Maybe I should look for different kinds of ink cartridges to put in it? I'm excited to think it might be possible for me to be a better writer. I've never tried writing backwards, but I have tried writing with my right hand and I can do it fairly legibly.

Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  07:24:39 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Alee, I love this script! I think I will copy this on cards to teach students when I have to sub for other teachers........ it looks fun!!!!! Thank you for sharing!

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  08:58:55 AM  Show Profile
Good advice, Nadine. There are several fast-drying inks on the market now, and many papers that are ideal for all fountain-pen users. It's a good idea to lurk -- or better yet, make your questions heard! -- on some of the forums for pen people. My favorite is http://www.pentrace.net/mboard.htm . You'll pick up tips on which inks can create problems in some (if not all) FPs. Better to know this up front than to ruin a pen by using a corrosive or otherwise dangerous ink. Noodlers brand inks have been acused of having problems, although others say this is rubbish. The main thing we all agree on is never to use inks strictly meant for calligraphy or dipping pens, India ink and the like in a FP. They contain lacquers that will kill a pen in no time, and often, there's no remedy.

Nadine, one of my favorite pens (although nothing beats my Pelikan) is also a Waterman. It's the sterling Le Man (a.k.a. Gentilhomme) Godron anniversary edition from 1985. I love the "flexy" nib and juicy ink flow, although I find the narrow barrel to be hard on my hand for lengthy writing spells. I might have John Mottishaw italicize the nib for me just a little bit this year at the DC Pen Show. (Maybe by then, with this cast off my right arm and a couple of weeks of physical therapy, I'll be able to write again!) I also have the little Waterman Lady Agathe, which comes in its own storage tube that matches the barrel. Have you seen those? Really, really cute. We'll have to post photos of our "babies" -- I'd love to see yours. Can I ask, do you get Rhodia and Clairefontaine papers where you are? And are there others that we might not get in the US that I should know about?

Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:06:37 AM  Show Profile
I don't have any one particular favorite pen but I do love the Sakura Gel pens that come in different colors and the Sakura pigma ink pens. I got hooked on them when we lived in Japan because I like having that fine tip.

Of course I do always love a good free pen. I still have about 50 from different drug reps that would come into the doctors office. I don't miss the job but I do miss the freebies!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary- How silly is it of me to not have realized there are pen groups out there?! Maye we should start a pen lover's chapter!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  10:11:13 AM  Show Profile
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rune

The clawscript is neat. My husband and I used to write letters to each other in runic, although I think our alphabet was a mashup of two or three of the historical ones. If you have a harcopy version of JRR Tolkien's Hobbit or Lord of the Rings books, you can translate the runes on the covers. Lots of fun!
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  10:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Rosemary,
it is so wonderful to finally have some people to talk to about pens- most of my friends have long quit using them.... I just looked up the pens you mentioned and wow- they are lovely. :) I really must round up all my babies to take a photo.
As for papers, clairefontaine is easy to find in the French supermarkets even- but the art supply store is the place for good writing paper. Most of it is for calligraphy- for my everyday writing I have a hodgepodge of writing pads, I like the basic brown paper ones you get at Muji's (Japanese no-name store, I think there is one in NYC) since that paper soaks up ink straight away- great for lefties. :) And for letters, there is a great paper, handmade with those handmade paper edges on all four sides- by a German company called Silberburg. Not a bad deal either- 100 small pages, off white for under $20. Can't beat that- especially since it even works in the ink jet printer so it is easy to personalize with initials and such. I plan to order a pack or two and create lettersets for friends for the holidays.

Did you break your arm? I hope you can write again soon- in my jopb a broken arm...... could be tricky as a teacher. :) Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  11:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love paper and pens so much- going into a specialty shop is like sending a five year old into a candy shop. I get a bad case of the "anda"s "I want this anda this anda this anda this...ooo and five of that!" lol

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  12:26:09 PM  Show Profile
Are there any pen shops where you are, Alee? There aren't many any more. For anyone in the San Francisco area, I can recommend Atelier Gargoyle for the BEST sealing waxes and seals, both of which they make themselves, and calligraphy items. They have a Web site, by the way. It's http://www.ateliergargoyle.com/ . They teach terrific wokshops. One of the most surprising tips I picked up from them last year at the DC Pen Show was a calligraphy tool that's really just a piece of bamboo with a slanted end. You can customize it with sandpaper :-) Works beautifully. There's also a plastic thing that works well. Sooo...you can spend all your money of faboo paper :-)
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  12:33:39 PM  Show Profile
Nadine, yes, I did break my arm -- the radius clean through just above the wrist joint, ulna fractured. I only have (I hope!) another week in a cast. I plan to be obsessive about my physical therapy and will get out all my dear pens to try as soon as possible. I do miss writing with them just awfully. I do computer graphics for a living, and my FPs are a way to balance all the techology. I'm sad without them.

You may be officially the only FarmGirl in Europe at present, but there's also "Nance in France," alias Nancy, who lives part of the year back here in the States. Maybe you'll meet somehow!

Has anyone ever used crystal pens for dipping? I have two, and I love them. They hold ink for a surprisingly long bit of writing.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 23 2008 2:50:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  12:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary-

I am not sure if there are any pen shops around here. I will have to do some googling to see!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  2:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Alee, Googling might reveal more ways to spend your hard-earned money than you ever dreamed of! If not pen shops, then pen shows (which are really just big gathering of pen collectors and a few fancy-schmancy dealers; a lot of swapping and schmoozing goes on at these shows and it is AMAZING what you learn at them). Here's the Web site for the one I go to every year in DC: http://pencentral.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  3:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What do you think of pens that are made out of carved wood?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  08:13:56 AM  Show Profile
I tried the bamboo one shown by the Atelier Gargoyle workshop leader (I wish I could remember his name -- fabulous man). It was for fairly large calligraphy, of course, but I was surprised by how well it worked. It fits the hand nicely. Of course, no two are alike. You'd have to try different ones. The only thing is that it doesn't make super-sharp-edged lines, as you would probably expect to get with a proper nib, but that might suit some people's wish to emulate that old pirate-map look.

The only writing instrument I've used other than that is graphite pencils made from thick twigs of ash or oak trees. They have to be sharpened by whittling. Fun for certain kinds of rustic uses, but not my go-to experience.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  09:22:45 AM  Show Profile
For Nadine and interested others, this from Cross:

AT Cross Co. Q2 2008 Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha
"Specifically, we decided that by the end of this year, we will move several component operations such as fountain pen nib and ball pen point production from our Lincoln, Rhode Island facility to China. On an annual basis, our moves will save the Company $2 million beginning in the fourth quarter of 2009. The effort will require a modest restructuring charge, less than $1 million, but we feel the charge is well worth it. We will continue to aggressively pursue opportunities to lower our cost structure. If we could bring processes into the China facility, we will. If we cannot bring the operations in-house, we will look to establish vendor relationships in China. All of this is with the purpose of lowering our cost and shrinking our time-to-market."
http://seekingalpha.com/article/86658-at-cross-co-q2-2008-earnings-call-transcript?page=-1
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Rosemary, I hope that by the time you read this reply you no longer need a cast- hope physical therapy will go well for you.
I am writing all the time at work (teacher) and my way of relaxing is letters- and testing out quirky inks and pens. I have discovered some really affordable student plastic fountain pens over in France, they have all the back to school things out and they had good brands there for under $10- I WAS a child in a candy store. And how can one say no to erasable pink, purple and blue ink that is also scented? In cartridges?

Oh, I must look for Nancy on the boards here- I'd love to meet up with some Europeans- my village is pretty much the centre of Western Europe and I live close to France anyway! :)

quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary

Nadine, yes, I did break my arm -- the radius clean through just above the wrist joint, ulna fractured. I only have (I hope!) another week in a cast. I plan to be obsessive about my physical therapy and will get out all my dear pens to try as soon as possible. I do miss writing with them just awfully. I do computer graphics for a living, and my FPs are a way to balance all the techology. I'm sad without them.

You may be officially the only FarmGirl in Europe at present, but there's also "Nance in France," alias Nancy, who lives part of the year back here in the States. Maybe you'll meet somehow!

Has anyone ever used crystal pens for dipping? I have two, and I love them. They hold ink for a surprisingly long bit of writing.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I love scented ink! :D What scents did you get?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
The blue is vanilla, purple is grape and the pink is strawberry. They are lovely but the added scent makes the ink soak into the paper quickly and if you have paper that soaks up ink anyway it looks runny- but there is some ultra shiny paper I never liked much and it works just perfectly with these inks. Go figure. There really is a paper for each ink and vice versa! :)
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Wow! I love scented ink! :D What scents did you get?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:51:55 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
Oh dear! LOL! I just received a message from a friend telling me she saw great scented inks in jars (the ones from France are cartridges) on a website- uh oh. Here is what I got- red teachers ink (scented with "happy scents" to make marking essays more fun), chocolate ink, green tea ink and Jasmine ink (that one is orange, a colour I can mark in too)....... they had LOTS of flowery ones and beer ink and wine inks made from real beer and wine! Tobacco ink and coffee and so on and so on. I could have spent a fortune there! LOL the shop is in Germany but if you are curious, the link is http://www.fuellhalter.de/index.php?list=KAT16

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  07:58:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh! I SOOO want a chocolate ink!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  10:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
I did research and found the supplier's site- it is also in English. http://www.de-atramentis.com/oxid.php/sid/7227af96470bbc72ac3e174a27ad048d/
I was completely flabbergasted at all the literary inks and scented ones. And they work in fountain pens- they also state which ones don't so no nasty suprises. :) I may have ordered some there too. Ahem. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Do you have a special pen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page