Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  9:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love pens. Pens are one of my "happy" things. If I find the perfect pen- it can make my day.

I love to write with old fashioned fountain pens. Some how they just make everything seem so much more special. And the newer models have these great ink refill cartridges that just pop right in.

I also love the "gel" pens, but get frustrated as they often don't work properly.

I love the smell of ink. It must be one of those Pavlovian responses from the days when I used to spend the day day-dreaming and writing fiction in notebook after notebook.

So do you have a special pen?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  06:12:13 AM  Show Profile
I love any color ink but blue, for some reason. I don't like gel pens because I always end up smearing it. I usually lose a pen immediately after using it and then find it months later, so I never get attached to a specific pen!

http://plumcreekmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  06:31:21 AM  Show Profile
I do - for our first anniversary (15 years ago!) my husband surprised me with a beautiful roll-top desk, and on the desktop was a black MontBlanc pen, which I still use all the time.

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  07:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
alee, i am with you i love great pens. i like to use the schafer(?) calligraphy pens that have the ink cartridges in so many colors. i also love the ultrafine tip sharpie permanent markers. they come in a lot of great colors, and i like to use them when i am making cards or tags.
i even like the felt tip calligraphy pens that you can get at wallmart.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Crafty Chic
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Melissa
West Plains MO
USA
64 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  1:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Crafty Chic a Yahoo! Message
My favorite color is purple so I have this purple pen that I love to use. It's one that has the different colors you can chose whichever one you want to write with. I keep it in my purse at all times. I also have another pen that is big and fat and has the rubber at the tip so it doesn't give you the "writing marks" on your fingers. It's purple too! I keep it with me at all times too!

Visit me at my other blogs:
family-fixins.blogspot.com
wwwmyblessedworld.blogspot.com
Visit our Etsy Store:
Heart2Home
www.heart2home.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  10:16:50 AM  Show Profile
I have my mother-in-laws fountain pens.She always wrote with them, so my using them is sort of a "tribute" to her memory. Took forever to find the right ink refills! I don't use them too often because our checks are the duplicates and the fountain pen doesn't press hard enough to read the carbon.Mostly I use them to sign cards and such. I do have a favorite pencil! It's a "mechanical" type, but used #9 lead, really nice and thick!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2008 :  4:59:14 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a special pen, but I am particular about how the pen I use presents is. I like a blue ink pen, and usually it is a lidded one. If the lid is missing, it goes straight into the trash. No doubt- I won't use it if the lid is missing. RIght now I'm using a black sharpie a lot. I started a new journal a week or so ago, and the sharpies does wonders on the heavier paper. I've also bought some cool fine felt tip art pens that I use in my journal.

I agree that the right pen makes all the difference in how I feel about my actual handwriting. When I was younger (in high school), I always bought pens and pencils at the Hello Kitty/Sanrio store in the mall. I really liked those.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Fleck Farm
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Shannon
Eden Prairie MN
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  1:57:49 PM  Show Profile
I too have a HUGE pen fettish. I have a box of favorite pens. I have never tried a fountain pen and will have to give it a whirl!

There is something very invigorating and liberating when writing things down. Journals are also wonderful. I prefer the sketching journals because they are unlined and I can enclose pictures, doodles, tickets, cards, etc.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Farmgirl #169

Shan
Mother Hen at the Fleck Farm
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  2:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Yes it is an expensive one I snaked( ok begged for) from my boss, when I worked at the Funeral Home. I love it! LOL

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  3:12:55 PM  Show Profile
i love pens .. mostly i use the very fine-tipped felt tipped ones .. but i do love GEL ones too .. especially the 'fat' sized ones .. so .. i can see my writing without two pairs of glasses! xo

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:
"GATHERING ROOM" ..
http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. up for adoption:
http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LunaTheFarmLady
True Blue Farmgirl

448 Posts

Luna
Rineyville KY
USA
448 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  9:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhh pens, my true love is an old fashioned fountain pen. It inspires such flourishes...especially on really nice paper. But for practical writing I like the Uniball signo...it is very smooth anf flowing. It comes in lotsa colors. A fine tip sharpie is nice for fast lettering or doodling.

But now pencils....really good color pencils cannot be beat..

Luna The Farm Lady
http://blueballmountainspindleneedleworks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2008 :  9:18:48 PM  Show Profile
I love pens too. I will "run off" as my husband calls it..with any click pen that comes in the house. I hate stick pens with a separate cap..I think from being a waitress..you can't quickly put those things in and out of your pocket. I love the heavy feel of a good pen..and like a fine ball point tip best. I don't have good luck with gel pens either Alee..they are frustrating. I love to label things with a sharpie too..and have them stashed all over the place where the kids won't cart them off.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  12:59:15 PM  Show Profile
I love Pilot Precise V5 pens. I must have hundreds of them squirreled away all over the house. My addiction started in high school with a friend–whom I idolized–who used them constantly for her artwork, and I started using them because they were so perfect. That was over... is it really almost 10 years now? I used to buy them in big boxes at office supply stores, but can't seem to find them anymore. I tend to get very picky about my Pilot pens, I refuse to use V7's if I have a choice (fine-V7, versus very fine-V5).

And they're great because the clippy-thingy on the cap is soft metal, so I can bend them and stick them over my ear. Everyone that notices it stares, and seem to think it's an oddity, because I'm constantly asked, "What's that?" quickly followed by, "Doesn't that hurt?"

http://yarnfoodcoffee.typepad.com/
The Age of Discovery in a Nutshell:
-I claim this land in the name of England.
-You can't claim it, we live here!
-Do you have a flag?...
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  1:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and I can never have enough Sharpies. I found a BIG black one, and "stole" it... Don't remember where I found it, but it's mine now. *grin*
And I got my boyfriend, Bo, a Space Pen, which he LOVES, and uses all the time. He usually doesn't show much excitement over gifts, but this one he was over the moon about, bragging to everyone who would listen, "This is a SPACE PEN! Marie got it for me." I think I'll keep him.

-Do you have a flag?...

Edited by - N Marie on Apr 13 2008 1:04:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  6:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Marie-
Guess what I found for you! And I love those pens as well!

http://www.amazon.com/Pilot-Precise-Liquid-Rollerball-Extra-Fine/dp/B00006IEBI

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
Go to Top of Page

N Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Marie
Seattle Washington
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  01:20:43 AM  Show Profile
No way. Get out!

Has anyone mentioned how wonderful you are?

-Do you have a flag?...
Go to Top of Page

gardencottage
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kelley
Oxnard Ca
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  06:04:36 AM  Show Profile
I love pens too!
I am not really a pen snob but I like fine points ALOT!
And there are these certain calligraphy pens that I used to buy at the stationery store...
There is just something wonderful about finding a really good pen!

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
~Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  7:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Alee -- you've touched my heart! I'm wild about fountain pens. I also have dipping pens, but fountain pens are my passion. I save up every year to go to the Washington DC Pen "Supershow," where I can trade with other pen collectors and add to my collection. We should post pictures of our favorites, don't you think?

My special pen is in the pen hospital right now -- a vintage Pelikan Souveran 800 with a nib that I had modified by "nibmaster" John Mottishaw so that it writes with a lovely italic flair. Its pretty green striped barrel got damaged and they're replacing it for me. I feel naked without this pen! My other favorite pens are all vintage, inlcluding several from the 1930s and (a recent acquisition), a ladylike gold-plate and mother-of-pearl one from about 1880 thta you have to fill with an eyedropper! The only new one I have is a Delta Dolce Vita (the big orange and vermeil one) that I got at the DC pen show last year, barely used, for less than a third of what it would cost new. I use orange ink in it -- too much fun :-)

I know what you mean about the smell of inks. Do you have any favorite inks? I love the Private Reserve colors and the new Noodlers Inks, even though some pen people say they cause problems. While I have lots of great modern inks -- some of them in really beautiful bottles -- my favorite one is an old Shaeffer's Scrip in Washable Blue -- the stuff I used in 5th grade, when we had proper little inkwells in our desks. (That's how old I am!)

Do you carry your fountain pens with you and use them to write checks, take notes, and so on? If so, isn't it interesting how people react to them?

You know, fountain pens, especially vintage ones, make good environmental sense these days because they're refillable, not just something to toss in the trash, so no plastic for the landfill. If you like to use the plastic cartridges, did you know you can refill them with ink from a bottle by using a hypodermic needle that you can get from a pharmacist if you explain what you want it for and don't look too crazy?

You might enjoy this message board for "pen freaks" ( http://www.pentrace.net/mboard.htm ) and some of the info sites that people mention in their messages.

Pens are such romantic wonderful things -- and so are the people who love them! Try to post some pix of your babies! I'd love to see them.

Edited by - Rosemary on Apr 21 2008 7:45:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2008 :  8:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Rosemary!

I think you could give me an education in pens! I had a couple of fountain pens when I as in school- one had a very pretty scroll design engraved into the nib. I think they are still in my "things" back home at my parent's house. When I do have them with me- yes I carry them around in my purse along with my check book and a little portable journal as you never know when a thought might occur to you that you just have to write down or when a story idea might pop into your head!

I find that I am tempted to write more if I have a special pen! Writing just isn't any fun if your pen isn't fun too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

NadKnitBlog
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Nadine
Nalbach Saarland
Germany
72 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  01:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Send NadKnitBlog an AOL message
This is a topic that is very dear to my heart. Over here in Germany students still use fountain pens with blue erasable ink. I still remember getting my first blue Pelikan student pen- it was for left handers (I'm a leftie) and it felt so grown up to be using a real fountain pen instead of a pencil. Because I live so close to France my family went across the border regularly for groceries, holidays etc and every summer, their shops had wonderful pens to start the new school year. I often picked one up and I remember my friends and I collecting cheap plastic fountain pens.
As a teenager I expanded my collection with grown-up pens by LAMY and Parker and every major occasion or birthday was often celebrated with another pen. Bicentennary of French Revolution? I was on holiday in France and got a pen with the notes and lyrics of the Marseillaise. My first pen that uses an ink well not cartridges was purchased by my grandmother. I just wanted to go to the pen store to get a regular cartridge one- she insisted on buying me a proper pen. It was a black Pelikan pen, gold plated nib. I still have it and use it. But my favourite is another Pelikan model- it has the perfect broad nib and I love writing with it. It is the one I always reach for when writing a lot of text because it is very smooth.
I have lots of ink jars by Herbin and Caran D'Ache, my favourite inks for amazing hues. On my Saturday trip to France I picked up some new ink cartridges- scented, erasable (over here we have ink eraser pens for blue erasable ink- the white tip makes it disappear, the blue tip means you can write over it- for years that only worked on blue ink)purple and pink ink- I was intrigued and yes, I picked some up along with $4 fountain pens. They work well enough and it is fun to use them.
As a leftie I never buy expensive pens without having to try them first- the Montblanc my family wanted to get me for my graduation- I could not write smoothly with it- the nib was all in the wrong place for me. I was quite sad about that. I do have gel pens and the likes but I very rarely use them. The way I write the back of my hand does move over the page I am writing on and I often smudge things when I use gel ink which doesn't dry as quickly.
I still love pens and other accessories for writing- and as a teacher I also coach and encourage my leftie students- I was once told I'd never have beautiful handwriting. I can even do calligraphy these days and love sharing a "secret" with the leftie students- we can write backwards without any trouble. :)

Nadine is Farmgirl Sister #262 (the only one in Europe so far!) and she blogs at http://nadsknittingblog.blogspot.com/ and knits on Ravelry as Nadknitblog and on Plurk she is NadKnitBlog too!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  07:16:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Nadine! That's amazing! I bet your pen collection is phenomenal! My dad is a lefty as well. I'll have to see if he does the backwards writing thing :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Nadine, we're soul-sisters when it comes to pens. I like Herbin inks, too, but only for dipping. I adore Caran d'Ache inks. They come in gorgeous bottles. (For those not in on the joke, Caran d'Ache isn't a French word. It's a play on the Russian word for crayon. Isn't that fun?)

Pen afficionados are of the same mind as you are about how the Mont Blancs actually write. Sometimes it's a matter of the paper (I like Clairefontaine Triomphe best) but usually, they need fine-tuning to grind and set the nib to suit your hand. I have a custom nib on my 149 (the Diplomat, or Meisterstuck), and it writes beautifully now. John Mottishow did the work. He's a genius.

Are you familiar with all the sites online for pen people? It's getting harder to buy inks, so I often wind u getting them from online shops. There are many based in the US, but several in Europe and the Far East as well. One I use often is https://www.pendemonium.com/ .
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I want to get a whole writing box set up with dip pens, reservoir pens and nice paper. Also some sealing wax and a stamp to use. That way I can sit down and have all the nice things to write with whenever I want it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  09:36:22 AM  Show Profile
I love pens full of chickens, horses and sheep...LOL. There's 2 ways to interpret that question!!
Giggle for the day.

Jami in WA

Okay, so now I have a blog. http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  10:54:56 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I have such a set! It was made by Herbin. It consists of a pretty furniture-finished wooden box with 4 or 5 bottles of different colored Herbin inks inside, a beautiful twisted-wood dipping pen, and a large assortment of gold-plated calligraphy and handwriting nibs for use in the pen. It was issued as an anniversary commemorative set back in the 1980s, I believe. I paid about $100 for it on awhim but actually didn't use it much. A couple of the ink bottles were never even opened. Interested? Let me know off-list if you're interested and we can work something out.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  10:56:10 AM  Show Profile
Jami, thanks for the phunny! I'll share that with all the urbane (urban) folks at the DC Pen Supershow this August.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Do you have a special pen? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page