Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 I am a public school teacher
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic I am a public school teacher Next Topic
Page: of 2

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  10:57:39 AM  Show Profile
And I am really proud of it! I love my job and I think I help offer a wonderful service to many of our nations children.

I understand that there are some flaws in the education system of our country. I understand that public education is not always perfect. I support the right to choose between public school, private school, waldorf, montessori, religious education, homeschooling, unschooling and etc. But I also understand that many of these other establishments have thier flaws too.

Some days I am tired and I get stressed and maybe I don't quite have my A Game on but I always try to do my best. Some days I don't like all the rules and regulations I have to follow but I love my job and I do what needs to be done.

There are days when homeschool parents may be tired and things don't go quite as planned or other things get in the way and lessons get missed or rushed. There are times when things aren't "ideal". This happens in EVERY form of education.

I feel like I am an important part of the future of this country. Sometimes it hurts my feelings when so many people on this forum PUT DOWN public education. I have wanted to teach since I was a child. I spent 8 years getting 2 bachelors degrees and a Masters degree so I could be the BEST TEACHER POSSIBLE to the children I come in contact with. I LOVE what I do.

All I ask is that you please THINK carefully about your comments. I realize that some people may not have a use for public educators but there are a whole lot of kids in the world that would not get and education AT ALL if it were not for the public school system.

MAny of us compost and recycle and try to minimize our trash. We may not have a use for a trash collector but we do not publish comments about how flawed the garbage industry is and how much they are contributing to the failure of the environement and this country as a whole. We realize that many people need trash collectors and that they offer a valuable service to many people. I only wish sometimes people felt the same way about schools and teachers.

Thanks for letting me vent.

PS This comment is in NO WAY directed at a specific person or post. It is something I have thought about for a LONG time. I love all of you on here!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Feb 16 2008 11:32:17 AM

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  11:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Julie I applaude (sp) teachers like you who actually give a hoot about their students. THANK YOU for your HARD work and endless dedication!!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Firemama on Feb 16 2008 11:12:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  11:10:47 AM  Show Profile
My husband and most of my best friends on the planet are public school teachers!!! My children who are THE best people I know have college degrees and are all from the public school system!!! Public school gives everyone a chance to improve their lives! Whether or not they take avantage of this privledge-it is there!!!Hugs and love to you Julie!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  11:39:43 AM  Show Profile
Julie, as a fellow public-school teacher, I can only say thank you so much for expressing so well what I have felt for so long reading some of the messages on these boards. I have put years of my life into furthering my own education, have many hours beyond my Master's degree, and continue to attend workshops and conferences whenever I am able. Is my school district perfect? Not by a long shot, but then, as you've stated, I don't know of any educational experience that is. I do know that I love my students and give them the best that I can every day. (Frankly, I believe that if more parents actually parented their children, you wouldn't hear all the complaints that we do from society, but that's another topic for another time.)

And you're probably already familiar with teacher-come-slam-poet Taylor Mali, but even if you're not, here are a couple of videos of his performances that I know you'll love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw1MFobWD_o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vMHSGmGtuo

Thank you for all that you do, Julie, and I'm right there doin' it with you!

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  12:56:18 PM  Show Profile
I have the highest respect for public school teachers. It is not our teachers who are the problem -- it is the system that is flawed in so many ways. Unfortunately the teachers are the ones who get the brunt of the criticism. I agree that if parents would parent their children things would be better for the teachers and the other children in school. I am just dumbstruck when my daughter comes home to tell me that one of her friends got a detention for cussing out a teacher! I would never have thought of doing that when I was in school. Thank you to the teacher's for all you do for our children!!

My Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

I'm A Rusty Chick!!!
PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100

Edited by - therusticcottage on Feb 16 2008 1:00:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  1:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Here Here!!! I'm a product of a public school for the first 8 years of my life, and I turned out really well, I think :) I can STILL remember the names of my favorite teachers!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  1:19:54 PM  Show Profile
My daughters go to public school and I couldn't be happier with it. The teachers are well-educated and they continue their education each summer through seminars and classes (so much for teaching being "part-time"!!). I feel welcomed in their school anytime I visit.

!!Go Surry County Cougar Cubs!!

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  2:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I am afraid I have offended you by my comment on another post, and I truly apologize. I made a hasty comment about "schools becoming businesses" and I did not clarify and left it open to many interpretations. I am usually much more careful. I agree with everything you and these other lovely ladies have said. Public school does work, teachers do give their heart and soul and are often under appreciated. My feelings have more do to with administrations and what I've seen as part of the school system. For all I know it could be a product of the state I live in.

I do truly apologize, Julie.

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  3:35:34 PM  Show Profile
I hope nothing I said when I posted about Head Start offended you Julie. I wouldn't have been referring at all to public school teachers because I only can speak for preschool and there is no public preschool in our area. And, both of my daughters are public school teachers. My oldest daughter taught elementary school, then became high school vice principal and now is the coordinator for staff development and assessments for the district. My other daughter is a public high school Spanish teacher. I know how hard they both work. My comments were directly referring to preschool, and the evolution of the philosophy of teaching preschool children.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  6:22:15 PM  Show Profile
I think I have made it clear in other posts I really like our public school system here. I have known so many of the teachers for years. I feel they do a wonderful job as I said before both teaching and making learning a wonderful experience for our kids and also reinforcing the values and morals we believe in. My niece is a teacher in the city schools and I applaud her, she has some very trying circumstances and works very hard to give these children every opportunity for the best education possible. I also respect everyone's choice for the education process that they feel is best for their children. I know home schooling can work very well for some children. My best friends grandchildren were both homeschooled. For them it was the perfect solution. I do have one question though, I don't know what unschooling is, would someone be kind enough to explain that to me? Thanks.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  6:22:41 PM  Show Profile
bonnie and sherri you silly girls! Neither of you have hurt me or offended me. I was not speaking of specific people or posts just a general feeling that is sometimes expressed. I love the different backgrounds and opinions we all have on this site but I think sometimes we forget that there are ALLKINDS of people here on this forum. Sometimes people who are not directly involved in the public school system font have a clear picture of what REALLY is going on. The media exagerates certain aspects while completely ignoring others. The medias job is to point out the flaws and unfortunatly that can create the wrong impression on people. There are A LOT of thing about public education that are WONDERFUL.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  6:31:19 PM  Show Profile
MJ I think Tasha(gaiasrose) "unschools" her kids. I am not really sure what it is but I think it is a more self-directed learning program. Maybe she'll read this and explain it better. It sounds neat. Kindof what my mom did with us in the summers.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2008 :  6:43:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I'd like to hear about unschooling too!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1806 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1806 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  3:50:06 PM  Show Profile
I work for an alternative high school where we see adults over 18 coming to get their GED or high school diplomas or students coming to take transfer courses to transfer back to regular high schools and online courses and a distance learning program where student take courses through the mail. It is really important students are kept interested in high school or they drop out. We have a program where students can take college courses in high school and get college credit-they are career edge programs. They can take everything from auto mechanics to nursing courses to many other courses that would give them career courses so they have goals toward careers. So many students have children as teenagers and then try to obtain a HS diploma or GED so they can get a decent job to support their family. We have a graduation in May and have close to 1000 graduates a year that would not have graduated without an alternative school.
I am proud to be a part of helping these students take a step forward to a more positive future.
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  4:36:47 PM  Show Profile
It amazes me that kids can earn college credits in high school. I just think that is so cool. In our school system, kids can start earning college credits in the 9th grade and graduate with an associates degree. How awesome is that?

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  6:25:56 PM  Show Profile
My third son graduated from a great University in 3 years instead of 4 because of taking honors classes for college credit in high school...wonderful program. I am hoping some of my younger kids will do that too!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  6:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh Julie...I just wrote you a long reply, but my computer ate it....grrrr, hate when that happens. Anyway, we are a homeschool family and love it. But I agree with everything you wrote. Every education system has a set of challenges. We chose HS not because of any problem with public/private school, but because we wanted to be with our kids. We like them. LOL One of my biggest accomplishments (and joys) has been teaching each of our boys to read. I think teaching has always been "in me". If I'd had a real job in the real world, I probably would have been a teacher.

I cringe when I hear others who HS make thoughtless, misguided comments about public/private schools or teachers. Some of the biggest influences in my life were teachers who really loved teaching and their students. From all I know of you on these boards, I'd guess you to be in that category. I've heard my share of ignorant comments about home education, and even more so being a SAHM. I understand the need to rant sometimes...LOL so you go ahead. Just don't let those comments get you too down.

I, for one, applaude the job you do Julie! Lot's of kids out there NEED good teachers. Heaven knows if it were up to their parents...well I'm sure you know all about that.

Rhonda

Ps My other reply was SO much better.

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com

Edited by - abbasgurl on Feb 17 2008 7:01:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  8:14:39 PM  Show Profile
thanks rhonda. If you guys want to see the work of some of my students got to http://Bradford.wmsc.k12.ar.us. Then click HighSchool then click Julie Kohl. There are links to some student gallaries. We have been having server issues so it hasn't been updated since before Christmas. I hope to get some new things up soon. Thanks everyone for your encouragement. We are ALL important in the life and education of our children.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  8:37:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow Julie! That sure brings back memories. I took art classes all through school...all the other girls took typing and shorthand. I still think I made the right choice! Thanks for sharing your student's work with us!
Rhonda

I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance even if I'm the only one...

http://www.kattywhompus.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  12:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Our public school teachers are to be commended, and after my homeschooling time is over , I want to go back to school to become a public school teacher. You are all heroes, devoting yourselves to children everyday. As a home school mom, I have nothing but admiration for our wonderful public school teachers. Our path went differently, and no solution in this world is perfect, but I wholeheartedly admire you and all you do! Please accept my thanks for being willing to devote your life to children with little thanks from the world in general.
Morgen in Pa

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder
Go to Top of Page

farminmama
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Jen
Florida
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  1:23:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie,

I praise you for your work. I am a HS mom to 3 children, and you are right. You can't have an A game every day. I know that it must be hard to not be offended when you feel that someone has belittled what you do and the effort that you give.

I was talking with a mom in a store the other day and she said the best thing...it was so profound and heartfelt that it took me by suprise. Her son is in Iraq and she had a picture of him behind the counter. The lady in front of me was talking about all of the ways that we were wrong for still being there, and how the soldiers didn't need any more funding, and that she was "not pro-war". The fire in this mom's eyes was unreal. In a tone that was calm and collected, yet firm and commanding, she said, "yes, I hear you, and I am not "pro-war" either, but I AM "pro-my son" and whatever he needs to get the job done and get out of there is what I am for."

So, the whole long, story boils down to this...I'm not anti-public school, I'm just pro-my children. I so sorry that you have not been given the credit that you deserve. Please don't think that all HSers feel negatively about public school. I am sorry that grown-ups still feel the need to bash someone else to make themselves feel better.

I'm sure that you are valued by many parents and children. You are leaving a legacy on the hearts of hundreds every year. Cherish that. Don't let anyone take that from you. :-)

Jen
sweetheart to Harley
mama to 3 beautiful angels...^i^ ^i^ ^i^
farmgirl Sister #151
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  1:50:11 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
I sure hope I never said anything that makes you feel "bashed"! I have strong feelings as to why we homeschool and what I feel is "wrong" with our public school system (here in CA). In my opinion, teachers aren't the problem.I feel the great majority of teachers are hard-working and extremely dedicated to their students.Like any group, there are going to be ones that do less, aren't as dedicated, etc. You'll find that in the medical field, pilice and fire departments and even in retail sales! Guess that's just how people are. (Now that I've upset medical people, fire, police and retail...oh, I'd better just quit!)
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2008 :  3:21:12 PM  Show Profile
nope Sharon. No hard feelings to you. Just a thought. I really appreciate everyones thoughts!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  08:13:04 AM  Show Profile
Great discussion! Have to chime in though -- if most ps teachers don't have issues with homeschoolers then they need to address the issues their main "union" has with it! The NEA is downright hostile to homeschoolers and wishes to see our rights/privliges taken away and federal mandates put in place (see their own website if you don't beleive me).

SO how do you reconcile that?

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  09:28:48 AM  Show Profile
My school is NOT in a UNION! Nor am I a member of NEA. NEA is TOTALLY optional for teachers! I can not speak of thier beliefs or practices. As far as I am concerned the NEA does not speak for Teachers. What they do is based on theior lobbyists in WDC. MOST public school teachers are NOT members of NEA!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2008 :  10:09:47 AM  Show Profile
sorry if I made you mad but the fact is that the NEA does lobby on behalf of ps across the US and membership is generally encouraged. (All the ps teachers I know have said this even if you chose not to join). Again the question is how do you reconcile that with homeschooling? You may be a great teacher -- not disputing that or the fact that there are many out there -- but more teachers, more money or infringing on parents rights has not solved the problems in the ps. The system is broken and until it is revamped or fixed all the great teachers in the world don't make a difference to the big picture -- speaking of the schoools not students lives per se. Not sure why you are upset by my saying this as I am not slamming you personally -- I had some great teachers yes, but overall school was still not a good thing because of policy,etc.

Blessings!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

http://timsarmywifey.blogspot.com

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Mar 05 2008 10:11:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic I am a public school teacher Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page