Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Anyone tried a Neti pot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone tried a Neti pot? Next Topic  

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  2:04:43 PM  Show Profile
I saw Dr Oz on Oprah a few weeks ago and they were doing a demo of a neti pot. Has anyone tried one? I have lots of allergies and I think this would help. I bought one at a health food store last week, I just have not gotten up the courage to try it yet. So, if anyone used one can you tell me it's ok, and I won't drown myself

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  2:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy,
We had a discussion on this before. I will try to find the thread for you.

I have had great success since I started using mine.

***Edit***
Here is the thread:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13485&SearchTerms=allergies

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Feb 11 2008 2:25:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile
I know Kate posted the other discussion thread, but I just wanted to jump in and say to "go for it" Kathy - I've used a neti pot for several years now, and when I use it when I'm feeling particularly stuffy it is amazing! Just make sure your head stays tilted and your mouth open, and you'll get used to the feeling after a little bit. :-)

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  4:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Neti pots work wonderful for nasal allergies and sinus problems. It will only take you a few times to get the hang of it. But I know you will see a wonderful difference with positive results. This is an awesome natural therapy, also to combat colds/flu and whatnot.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  8:12:08 PM  Show Profile
I have used the Neti Pots for several years and I love it. I have several allergies, sinus and asthma. I use it faithfully and the results are amazing. When there is lots of pollen in the air or I am exposed to dust etc, it does the job. I agree with everyone, you will get the hang of it and not miss a step; or should I say, a nasal !!!

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  8:34:38 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
so glad to read about this, i have wanted to try it out, but didnt know anyone to ask about it. when you get the neti pot, does it have agood explanation on how to use it, or is there a site that you have checked out that explains what you do.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  12:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Laluna, Why do you have to have your mouth open?
when I use mine, it goes in one nostril and thru the sinuses and out the other nostril, then visa a vera
Maybe Im doing something wrong, or maybe its to breath, DUH is that it? LOL
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  07:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I wrote about this in my first post on a blog. Gosh, I hadn't realized it's been so long since I posted there. Here is the link if you'd like. www.mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  4:05:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Shirley

Laluna, Why do you have to have your mouth open?
when I use mine, it goes in one nostril and thru the sinuses and out the other nostril, then visa a vera
Maybe Im doing something wrong, or maybe its to breath, DUH is that it? LOL

Yep, breathing is good, otherwise you definitely experience that choking feeling.

And Frannie, the neti pot I bought is from the Himalayan Institute and came with excellent directions. Plus, they have a little demo video on their website: http://www.himalayaninstitute.org/NetiPot/NetiPotInstructions.aspx

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  4:26:04 PM  Show Profile
Yea, I hate it when that happens. LOL

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  5:17:23 PM  Show Profile
There direction with pictuires to follow that are very good. They explain everything and you can check your position against the instructions.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  8:54:17 PM  Show Profile
You gals are right, the initial "feeling" of actually using it is alittle strange. BUT, once I got used to using it and switched to the salt/soda mix in the water, I absolutely swear by it especially during allergy season. My son even purchased one and started using it and completely eliminated use of allergy meds (for outdoor allergies)like claritin during the spring season. They're great once you get used to them. I wouldn't be without it now :)

Farmgirl Sister #117

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  2:34:53 PM  Show Profile
Hello!
For some reason the Neti pot never seemed to work for me. Someone recommended something called "Neil Med". It is similar to a neti, just a slightly different design. More of a squeeze-bottle thing. You can get it at most drug stores.
Well, I started using it, and it worked much better for me. In fact, I just managed to get over a cold without it turning into a sinus infection for the first time in about 5 years!!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  2:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
My daughter and sister swear by them. My sister uses one everyday for her allergies. My daughter uses it when she gets a cold or sinus infection. They both love it. I get a sinus infection every time I try it. If I have a sinus infection and use it I then end up with an ear infection too. I have lots of luck with just plain saline solution in a squirt bottle. The cheap stuff from Wal-mart, Walgreen's or any of those places. Give the Neti pot a try it might work for you better then it works for me.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2008 :  3:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I made a homemade one out of a baby bottle. It has been working fabulous and I think it really saved me from getting a full blown sinus infection that would have needed antibiotics. I was afraid of the "drowning" feeling but was happy that no such feeling came about. I would recommend them to anyone now.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Anyone tried a Neti pot? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page