Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic safety of onion tops Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  1:31:52 PM  Show Profile
I know leeks and scallions are ok, but what about regular onions? I have burgermasters, vidalia's and egyption walking onions, I just sliced up some tops from some egyption walking onions and they made me cry just like a regular onion, but the texture was thicker and a little more woody. Is there any toxic reason not to eat them? You never see onion tops sold in the grocery store so I just thought I'd better ask.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  5:17:05 PM  Show Profile
no..they are great to eat...I wouldn't eat the ornamental type onion tops..unless someone says it is okay..I eat the tops from my regular onions..I am growing walla walla and red onions this year..all the time.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  5:44:21 PM  Show Profile
I assume that by ornamental type onion you are referring to alliums? Or chives? Chives and garlic chives have wonderful edible blooms. Garlic chive blossoms are white and so beautiful -- mine just opened a couple of weeks ago, and their fresh white blooms look so fabulous in the garden, especially this summer when the heat and drought makes the perennials look a little tired right now. Alliums -- my absolute favorite for late spring! -- are also in the onion family, but you probably wouldn't eat the tops/blossoms because they are not as tender as chives. I love alliums and have probably 5 different varieties in my perennial gardens. And my chives run along the path of my veggie garden -- very pretty and so useful.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Are egyption walking onions considered ornamental? They are a lot goofier looking than the average onion

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  7:56:14 PM  Show Profile
Alliums is what I meant. My mind was tired and couldn't think of the name. I grow chives and garlic chives and love them both!! Alliums are pretty though, arn't they? I don't know about the Egyption walking onions Bobbi..wish I could help..I am sure someone here will know.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic safety of onion tops Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page