Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  08:52:01 AM  Show Profile
I noticed this past spring that my rhubarb was coming in pretty spindly. I think it is time to move it to a new spot. Can anyone tell what is the best time of year to transplant rhubarb. I live in west central Minnesota if that makes a difference. TIA

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  11:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Best time to move it is in fall after it goes completely dormant.But then you have to wait a year to harvest.They need to be "fed" with manure, maybe you should just try that this year, and see what happens? Some good compoted chicken manure dug in around it might do the trick.Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  12:24:19 PM  Show Profile
Rhubarb likes well drained soil. If it's been a wet year, that could be why it's suffering. Just a thought.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  7:26:34 PM  Show Profile
My mom swears that a big shovel full of manure is just the thing for excellent rhubarb. She would know....they raise lots of rhubarb for wine. Which, by the way, is also very good=~)

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:13:50 PM  Show Profile
HI Kathy,

I'm in West Central Wisconsin! My rhubarb was a bit spindly also. I'm thinking a good dividing and fertilizing will do it. Husband's cousin is a chicken farmer so probably a bucket of "huenersheiss" ought to take care of it.

Jana
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rhubarb Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page