Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic FruitFly FYI Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  5:49:23 PM  Show Profile
It's getting ot be fruit fly season around here and I thought I would share a tip that works just great for them.

You pour a glass of wine and let it sit out in the area where your fruit flys are hanging out, and they will go for the wine over anything else, and then drown in it. It usually only takes me about a day or so to get rid of them.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY

FarmChickSerena
Farm Chick

45 Posts

Serena
WA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  6:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Bobbi,
Does it matter if it's red or white?

Serena
www.thefarmchicks.com
Live Well * Laugh Often * Junk Much
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  9:45:54 PM  Show Profile
I always have Rose' in the house... so thats what I use... thats a good question though.. maybe try it with what you have and if there is nothing dead in it by morning drink it for breakfast and try again with the other color :)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2005 :  10:18:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh I know the bane of the fruit fly!!! I battle them constantly!We have a grape vineyard so we always seem to have them. I have found any alcoholic beverage will do em in...even beer! They do seem to be drawn to the lighter colored beverages. I take a glass and trace around the rim of the glass on paper, then cut the circle out about an inch and half from the trace line, place the paper circle over the glass filled with the wine and scotch tape it to the glass. Punch a whole in the top with a pencil or pen tip and watch the little flies enter into the hole. They don't come out! The fumes of alcohol knock em out and they drown.

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi

Edited by - MeadowLark on Aug 01 2005 10:20:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  09:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Canning season brings em on here and I have tried a lot of things but not the glass of wine. I will now! Thanks!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile
I have a fruit farm. For in the house, have you tried putting a bay or basil leaves in the fruit baskets? If you are trying to bait them, wine works, so will cider vinegar. Do you bait/spray them in the grape arbor meadowlark?

BTW:Love the Rumi quote. I like his thought is like a gnat(fruit fly? ;)

"Everyone is overridden by thoughts;
that's why they have so much heartache and sorrow.
At times I give myself up to thought purposefully;
but when I choose,
I spring up from those under its sway.
I am like a high-flying bird,
and thought is a gnat:
how should a gnat overpower me?"

Mathnawi II:3559-3561
Version by Camille and Kabir Helminski
"Rumi: Jewels of Remembrance"

Go to Top of Page

Morning_Dew
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen
cottageville sc
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  03:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Morning_Dew a Yahoo! Message
that came just in time. i just been flailing my arms at them and it doesn't work very well. going to try that wine trick, and what was it about a bay leave does that stop them from starting up to begin with? i'll try anything. i've never seen fruit flies like here in SC,even if i bring in just few pieces in a matter of just a day or two they are all over. i get fruit from the farmers market down here, i was hoping to do some canning. thanks again for the tip!!!!

every gardener should make time for the humming BIRDS and honey BEES, stop and smell the flowers.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  12:50:07 PM  Show Profile
This may not be all that useful, but it's a funny story. I had a desparate phone message waiting for me from a friend. She was having a terrible fruitfly infestation in her kitchen and if I, being a bug person, knew anything to get rid of them. Well, I promptly called her, but she had already taken care of the situation with... a butterfly net. She ran around her house with her trusted butterfly net, catching all the fruitflies. If she has the problem again, I will mention both wine and apple cider vinegar as alternatives to net flailing.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  12:53:50 PM  Show Profile
LOL that must have taken forever!!!
[/quote]

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  9:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I believe it took all afternoon. Later I told my Dad about my friend's fly troubles, and he gave me yellow sticky strips to give to her, but they were no longer needed. She has yet to have a fruitfly reoccurrence. If only I had pictures!

Cat
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  06:53:23 AM  Show Profile
Chickiepies you haven't seen the half of it!Ifn you had wine to sipdown here one year hey you had to fight the buggers for a drink! They were buzzing the rim, flying up your snout, in your mouth with every gulp of fresh air!
Then my buddy came over to jam around the piano with us and had the sorry luck to pour some sour mash yee doggies thinking he could get a gulp between hymns. He got a swill of protein!

You'd get them halfway knocked back go to bed and be arisin to hatched fruit flies covering the windows. Being as they all rush to sunlight,the windows looked like some loose blowing black screen.We made jokes of the plague.I took to sucking the windows with our shop vac while my coffee brewed for a good couple weeks. We finally busted them and now no internal flies.

We have to be mindful no sour drains, trash pickup and the compost pile is far from the house since we are right behind a grove! Really wash the veggies and fruit!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic FruitFly FYI Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page