Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 Help! Sow Bugs in my strawberries!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Sow Bugs in my strawberries! Next Topic  

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2004 :  2:24:41 PM  Show Profile

This has been a very unusual year for my strawberries. They are the June bearing variety. We did not get as many berries this year as last and I noticed that they were extreemly small but very sweet so I wondered if they had cross polinated with the wild sweet strawberries that grow so abundantly here. After they were done with fruiting I cleaned them up and gave them a mulch of well rotted composted steer manuer. The drought caused them to look dead but I watered them and they came back. Then we had a few nights of frost in september so most of the leaves died back. We have since had an unseasonably warm fall and they seem to think that spring has sprung.Tons of new huge leaves and I noticed that they were setting on fruit again last week. Looked at them today to see how they were doing and found some very large and ripe strawberries on the plants so started to pick them only to discover that all of them were semihollow inside with sow bugs eating their little hearts out. I have neve had sow bugs in my strawberries before and am wondering why now and how to safely get them to move out. Today I cut off 90% of the new leaf growth and cleaned out all of the dead and dying leaves. I put clean brown paper strips under all of the berries and am going to cover them for the night with a sheet because it might freeze tonight.
Anybody know how to deal with sow bugs in strawberries?
Eileen

songbird

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2004 :  2:05:23 PM  Show Profile
Eileen-- It's been a while since I grew strawberries but I seem to remember that a little diatomaceous earth went a long way to keep the pests away. I do remember that when I was organic everyone else was still using Kelthane commercially(now banned...) and the berries tasted like kerosene but they were mite free. Since sow bugs have sort of fat bodies it should work, can't hurt to try. You've done everything else right so far. Good Luck! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Sow Bugs in my strawberries! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page