whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  08:55:35 AM  Show Profile
How do you all feel about silicone bakeware? Do you think it is safe?

"Greetings from the Gateway to the North Cascades."

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  09:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Patricia,
I found someone asking your same question and here is their answer:
I am looking for material(s) that works well as a non-stick baking and stir-frying surface and that will not harm my family. What do you think about silicone bakeware for environmental and health issues? I know Teflon is dangerous but what about silicone?

L. G.
Alameda CA

Silcone bakeware and other kitchen utensils are safe to use. Silicones are made chemically by creating a "backbone" of silicon (from common sand) and oxygen molecules, a combination that does not occur in nature. Then various other synthetic molecules are added branching off of the main silicon-oxygen line to create hundreds of different silicones that range from liquids to rubbery solids. Though this is a completely manmade product, it is completely inert and will not transfer to foods.

So, what do you think? MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  09:25:45 AM  Show Profile
Honestly marybeth, I am still not sure. It sounds safe and a lot of people use it, just sounds to good to be true.

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  10:10:46 AM  Show Profile
I'm afraid I'm still a pessimist. I think of the lab in the UK splitting sugar molecules to find a pesticide and discovering Splenda. And the biphenol controversy continues to be debated too, although it seems the labs with chemical company funding are the only ones saying it's safe.
I think I'll stick with stainless steel and cast iron, although some of the silicone bakewear sure looks neat.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  8:36:25 PM  Show Profile
When I got married about 1000 years ago I got Revere Ware and I still have it and use it. But my favorite cook wear is Le Crueset. It is castiron covered in porcelain and heavy but cooks and bakes things like a charm. I have never had or used any silicone ware but just answered Patricia's question with what I found. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

whispering pines
True Blue Farmgirl

428 Posts

patricia
sedro woolley wa
USA
428 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  9:38:40 PM  Show Profile
I do want to thank you for answering my question. I myself use cast iron and rever ware without non stick coating. I had a set of non stick and that was the worst ever. I was look looking for opinions on silicone since it is chemically made. I do understand the way it is made and I guess I needed help in deciding whether or not it would be worth the purchase.

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  04:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i usualy only use castiron, but i am starting to get frustrated with it. i hate all the work it takes and the fact that if i'm in a hurry and burn something on (i have an electric stove now) i spend 30 minutes paying for it later. i know there has to be a better solution, but i don't know what. my mama gave me a non-stick electric griddle and i adore that thing...it really makes my cast iron look like a hassle. i'm thinking of buying some of mj's bake over pans, they are non-stick and sunshine at the office has assured me that they are compleatly safe...

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  06:08:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The bake over pans are amazing! I couldn't live without mine now! But for large things we still need our big skillets.

Corrine- I suggest you re-season your cast iron. If Doug and I burn something on, we soak it in hot water (yes, I am sure some of you are saying "Not with cast iron!") and the item comes right off. Then we put it on our stove burner to heat dry it and rub a miniscule bit of oil onto the surface while it is hot. When the metal molocules get hot, they expand slightly and when the oil molecules get hot they get slippery so the smaller less dense oil molecules slip down into the crack and crevices when it is hot, then as the pan cools it locks them in place and that is how you get your cure. Because we always due the mini cure after washing, we don't damage them by letting them soak for 5-10 minutes in hot water. Then about twice a month we re-cure them in the oven.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  06:59:36 AM  Show Profile
my rule of thumb is usually.....let eveyone else use it for a while, like severallllllll years, and if everyone that used it doesn't develop cancer by then, it's probably okay. what can i say? i'm very cautious!
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2008 :  09:14:59 AM  Show Profile
I got to say - I have a Silpat. A silicone sheet that lays ontop of my cookie sheet and I use it all the time for baking. It's a great replacement for parchment paper, which is not only expensive, but wasteful. I haven't heard anything bad about it yet.. and I know all the professional bakers/chefs use them. *keeps fingers crossed they are all right to use* I love my silpat!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  09:49:19 AM  Show Profile
I am considering a Silpat right now, (maybe if I get some birthday money this weekend lol), but I do use parchment paper, and it can be reused many times if your baking temperature is below 400 F.

My friend's son is a chef, and swears by the Silpat.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2008 :  10:48:52 AM  Show Profile
I have a Silpat and a silicone mini muffin pan and a silicone cake pan (good ones also made by Silpat). So you've probably figured I got roped into a "party" at my friend's house. I'm a sucker, but I do hope they are safe, because they are wonderful to cook with and clean up great.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic silicone bakeware Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page