Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Brits & Corp. Food; Small producers almost extinct
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Brits & Corp. Food; Small producers almost extinct Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  12:20:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading the most recent issue of the British Country Living magazine, and it has (for me, having lived there) the most interesting article about "soon to be extinct" distinctly British foods because people are more inclined to buy convenience foods at Waitrose (our Kroger), and that conglomerate companies have bought the name rights from family farmers, small producers, etc...For example, the old Leicesture blue vein cheese you would have purchased 20 years ago from farmwives, isn't at ALL the same as the little anemic plastic wrapped block you would buy at the grocer today, but a generation of consumers have absolutely no idea what the difference is and it's only likely to get worse unless Brits start supporting their local farmers and producers again. To their credit, Waitrose is attempting to carry a "buy British" line of foods from small producers. We have that here in some Kentucky groceries, called Kentucky Proud.

I guess I'm so floored because comparitively speaking, our two countries are VASTLY different in size--we are no longer such an agrarian based society and what farming our grocers (and government) supports are large corporate farms. Britain on the other hand, has always had a large population of farmers, albeit the land prices there make it very difficult to succeed, not to mention hoof and mouth, mad cow, etc....etc..., and when I was there, you could go to little villages that were famous for such and such sausages, or creams, or cheeses, or buy directly from the farms themselves--you still can, but according to this article, people don't.

Obviously the similarities between the UK and this country now are stunning. The author actually makes comments about Britain, similar to ones that I've made about America before--how OTHER European countries still cherish their food histories and heritage, and he shames Britain for not doing more to keep up their food heritage. That the jokes about "the Brits not being known for their good food" wasn't the case 30 years ago.

Anyway, I just found it to be very sad. I still think of my best meals in Cornwall of homemade cheddar cheese and wheat bread.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, Stu says the same thing about the difference between the US and the UK is that America does not cherish its history the way the Brits do. He lived in St. Albans and Cambridge almost his whole life and when he came back here it was really impressed on him how buildings are erected and then torn down 5 years later. It makes no sense.

I get British Country Living too. Then I give them to Lu. I love Brit food and there's a pub we go to in the neighborhood that has the best fish and chips and bangers you've ever had. Not to mention the millions of labels of beer on draught. We play darts and a good night for me is when I hit the right wall but we have fun.

Patricia

Proud Farmgirl Sister #19
Rusty Chicks Chapter

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Today I choose faith not fear.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  3:18:38 PM  Show Profile
I would imagine there is a common problem, in that neither country's small family farmers can compete with factory "food" and imports from China. Does the Slow Food Movement exist in the UK?
My family hails from Cornwall, Liskeard to be exact.

Di
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  5:18:21 PM  Show Profile
I guess I just thought the British public was smarter...they have SO many wonderful options readily available to them, and it may mean driving to 2 or 3 different places but geez.

Well, oddly enough, Diane, the slow food movement appears to just be catching on in Britain (like here). I lived in Cornwall, and know exactly where your family is from. Lovely place, Liskeard. I lived in between Boscastle and Tintagel, on the estate of Trevalga. My friend and her husband were cattle farmers, and has the errant sheep/lambs here and there.

Patricia, I too love brit food--especially cheeses and mussels. My friend, Sarah, would forage for wild berries and things in the spring/summer to make jams and jellys. My favorite is rose hip jelly, but I can't find anyone who makes it here, and I don't have a wild rose handy.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  5:29:19 PM  Show Profile
My thought is that the downplay in farming is becoming commonplace in most Westernized countries, which is a true shame. I recently spoke to a Canadian dairyman from Ontario who is also lamenting that he can't get enough people to work on his dairy, because they deem it "beneath them" (i.e. they want "city jobs") and that he might have to look to AMERICA to get his next farm workers...hmm...I almost hated to burst his bubble...it's not much better here, but studies say that 27% of all new farmers are WOMEN and I am hoping there is a resurgence of interest in America.

I know NY state is aggressively pushing the agrarian way of life, with incentives for organic farms, smaller farms, and such. I hope, in the end, people don't forget their roots, is all...

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  5:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Zan, I'm glad to know that NY provides incentives for farmers, and I have also noticed the trend in women farmers. KOOL. I'm all for it--and am just biding my time until we can get a spot of our own.

Farming is hard work...that's why my family didn't do it after the 1970's, the simply couldn't afford to anymore. I understand people wanting to have "city jobs" but the world is full of different people..I'd be on a plane to Ontario in heartbeat if I didn't have my husband and life here.

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  6:13:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KYgurlsrbest

I lived in between Boscastle and Tintagel, on the estate of Trevalga.

Not meaning to hijack your thread here Jonni, but I believe our family Trevena have a historical tie to the estate of Trevalga and Tintagel. Some day I would so love to go there.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  6:15:07 PM  Show Profile
How interesting! Don't worry, Diane, I could talk about Cornwall ALL day long! If you're ever interested in looking at some photos, I'd be glad to share them with you. I surely loved that place--oddly enough, I felt like I'd been born there on those rocky cliffs --and miss it so much, still.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Brits & Corp. Food; Small producers almost extinct Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page