Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cactus Jelly Next Topic  

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  6:17:43 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone make this? This is my favorite jelly and I'm going to make it this year for the first time. The recipe I have says to fill jars then cover with melted paraffin, do I have to do this? Can I just fill and process in a boiling water canner and store? Thanks.

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  3:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Lonestar-What do you make this with, prickly pear? I had it once and it was delicous but very mild.As for the paraffin, my Gram always did this and she rarely had any bad jars.When I make jams and jellies ,I always follow the procedure they suggest for the final "canning", you can't be too safe.Have fun with it!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  12:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Yes I use prickly pear and yes it is mild but very yummy. Well I guess I'll do the paraffin then I just didn't know what it was for and if I could get away without it. Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  08:54:25 AM  Show Profile
As far as I know the parrafin is meant to act as an extra seal. You always leave head room in a jar so I guess this helps prevent any chance of a leaky or faulty seal on the canned goods internally. I'm sure there is a more Food Science savvy person around with a better explanation! That's just what Gram did, so I do it too! And always on raspberry jam or it wouldn't be her jam I'm making!

I have heard of Jalepeno Cactus jelly, it's used on meats like a glaze or chutney, but I sure don't want to try it on my mornning toast! Well, it might be an idea for some sloth like teenagers on the first day of school!

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Aug 30 2005 09:01:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  1:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Yeah no kidding!!! Maybe I should try that on my daughter to get her going...thanks again!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cactus Jelly Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page