Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fondue Cooking Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  1:50:28 PM  Show Profile
We all seem to be of a certain "era" here and I was wondering if any of you remember the fondue craze of the late 60"s and 70"s? Do you still have that "avocado green" fondue pot? Or was it "harvest gold"? Any steno heating disasters on that coffee table? I bought a small but efficient fondue set a few years ago at a yard sale. With these cold wintry days I think I will make a cheese fondue this weekend. I dip torn up chunks of french bread, and vegetables to dip. Here is a favorite recipe:

1 garlic clove
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon lemon juice
10 ounces Emmentaler cheese, grated
10 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons Kirsch, or brandy
pinch of white pepper
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of paprika
cubes of French bread, brocolli, carrots, mushrooms, ect... to serve

1. Rub the inside of a fondue pot with a cut clove of garlic, then discard the garlic. Pour the wine into the pot with the lemon juice and heat gently on the stove. Gradually add the cheese, stirring in a figure eight motion, until all the cheese is combined.
2. Blend the cornstarch and Kirsch together and as soon as the cheese mixture begins to bubble, add to the fondue. Continue to cook gently for a further 2-3 minutes and season to taste with the pepper, nutmeg and paprika.
3. Transfer the fondue pot to the table and keep warm on the burner. Serve with the cubes of bread and vegetables to dip into the fondue. Serves 4, Prep time 10 minutes, cooking time: 15-20 minutes

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  3:37:31 PM  Show Profile
This recipe sounds delicious; I don't have a fondue pot but I think a crockpot would work. However in the interests of simplifying my lifestyle in 2005, I'm not doing any recipes which require me to buy things I know I won't use for months (i.e. the cornstarch - I've never seen it in anything but a box, and though it's fairly inexpensive I know I won't use the rest of the box, even for dusting powder in the summer!). I used to think it was necessary to have lots of herbs & spices on hand, ones which I don't grow, but lately I've found that it's actually cheaper to buy mixes (i.e. Greek herbs, Italian, etc) than to buy the separate bottles of spices which I don't use up as fast. This does sound delicious though....

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  07:38:30 AM  Show Profile
Here are some chocolate fondue recipies that don't require cornstarch. I'm sure they could be made in a crock pot and with Valentines Day approaching maybe could be used for a chocolate tasting party?

Mocha Fondue

1 pound dark chocolate
2 tablespoons instand coffee granules
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons sherry

To Serve:
1x 6-ounce package marshmallows
pound cake

1. Grate the chocolate and mix with the coffee granules.
2. Place the cream in a porcelin or heat proof bowl and add the chocolate and coffe. Place over the fondue pot ( or a regular sauce pan on the stove) half filled with simmering water and heat gently, stirring continuously until the chocolate is throughly blended and smooth.
3. Stir in the sherry and heat gently, then transfer to the table and place over a fondue burner to keep warm ( or put in the crock pot)
4. Serve with marshmallows or cubes of pound cake to dip into the fondue.

Serves 4
Prep time 10 minutes
Cooking time 10-15 minutes

White Chocolate Fondue

9 ounces white chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Kirsch

To serve:
strawberries
kiwi fruit

1. Heat the chocolate and cream in a fondue pot, stirring.
continuously, but do not boil. When melted stir in the Kirsch.
2. Transfer the fondue pot to the table and keep warm over the burner. Serve with strawberries and chunks of kiwi fruit, using bamboo skewers or toothpicks to spear the fruit.
Prep time 5-10 minutes Cooking time 10 minutes. Serves 2 so you would need to triple or more the recipie.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  08:46:07 AM  Show Profile
I think that the fondu recipe at the top could be made without the cornstarch. It is used for a thickener and you could probably leave it out or substitute flour for it.
These all sound so yummy!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2005 :  4:06:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the chocolate recipes & suggestions. I just may give them a try.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Can I resurrect this one? Just like my orange fondue pot keeps getting pulled back up to the top!
I too don't use cornstarch ...just flour.

My favorite is Butterscotch fondue. My ways to eat oranges but the boys always jump up and grabbed bananas too.

Another I make with white wine,romano and fontino cheese with mushroom and onions, or should I act learnt and say shallots. We dip shrimp and aspargus spears or artichoke hearts.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  08:18:41 AM  Show Profile
I don't have a fondue pot but see them at thrift stores all the time..may have to get one. I KNOW the kids would love it for family night or like that. My husband would roll his eyes, but would get over it..haha. I LOVE cheese fondue..especially with hot fresh homemade french bread..hmmmmmmm I should go to a thrift store today...I have a craving for cheese lately!!
I have a small crockpot that came with my very big oval one and I think it would work until I get the fondue pot. Thanks for the recipe..it WILL get used..one way or the other..thanks for the reminder too, havn't had fondue in years!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  5:48:39 PM  Show Profile
Man I love homemade bread. I should start a breadaholic's anonymous.
Hi I'm Ellen and I am addicted to warm loaves.I love ripping off hunks. I shoo them from the kitchen. I'm stuffing every bit. Thats how it happens living life by the crumb.

The very first fondue we had was on an electric stove. Boy Howdy we swirl in it and zap Stuck in cement!So we broke down and bought her. I have added to the forks over the years so everyone may fork. Some are wood with different color ceramic dots on the end, some are clear lucite from the 80's, and my 90 were stainless.My new ones have little flipflops in resin. What's up with that?Shouldn't be a ski boot or snowshoe? How many swiss cheese alps guys are wearing a flipflop?Florida flipping foodude!

Tossing out the bait::::
any recipes biting?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  6:38:36 PM  Show Profile
I will have to attend your breadaholic meetings. I am sure I would be a size 5 if I wern't so addicted. I would give up all sweets just to have bread.Hello my name is Jenny and I have been bread addicted for 46 years. haha

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  6:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Ellen, I confess I am a breadaholic...have the hips and butt to prove it! By all means dear lady, start a topic on breads! Ahhhh, the smell of bread yeast and sourdough starter! Passion!!!!!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  08:26:55 AM  Show Profile
Me too, But boy can it reck havoc with my system.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  6:29:45 PM  Show Profile
sweeeta
I am singing with a choir!
do you remember the little girl for the bread with no holes? Boy howdy little miss sunbeam, I'll never be. When I was a youngin I'd hop out of bed before everybody in the house and sneak through the cupboards for our loaf of bread. I'd eat a bite of every piece first so nobody could get any before me. I still can eat my own loaf!

We had a hootenanny last night and one gal brought her tomato goat cheese fondue. We ate all her bread and then mine too.Just got her email with the recipe:
tomato goat cheese fondue
In fondue pot saute 1 minced onion, 3 cloves minced garlic in 2 T. olive oil until translucent. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of crushed pureelike tomatoes. Tie up 1 celery stalk, 2 bay leaves,4 sprigs each of parsley, thyme, and oregano into a bundle and add to the tomato mix.Cook over medium heat until it begins to get thick 10-20 minutes.Remove from heat and throw out the herb bundle.Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of Jalpeno sauce, 1 teaspoon of red hot sauce, pinch of salt.Crumble 12 ounces of goat cheese over the top, put back on heat and heat for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley on top and start dipping the bread.
(She tripled this recipe for the crowd we had last night.)
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  6:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Ellen, I remember sunbeam bread! I always ate the soft centers and leave the crusts. Made Mom so mad! Then she'd use the crusts I left to make raisin bread pudding, yum! That fondue sounds delicous! Will try that real soon! Thanks for the recipe!

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  11:26:01 AM  Show Profile
I do too! Don't they still make it in parts of the midwest?

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  5:39:55 PM  Show Profile
My mom always told me I had to eat the crusts if I wanted curly hair.Is your hair curly?
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Fondue Cooking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page