Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Skinny Bleep Lifestyle Progress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Skinny Bleep Lifestyle Progress Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  7:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Isn't it wonderful when someone is getting better and not having to be on meds so much? I love it. I as realizing today as I was driving that I am feeling so much better, my skin looks better, and I think I have dropped a little weight. I am so proud of myself and everyone who has decided to take their health and take control. You ladies are such an inspiration!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  08:57:36 AM  Show Profile
I've enjoyed reading all your posts. Maybe I didn't realize it before, but I think DD and I are on our way to being somewhat vegetarian. I noticed last fall that all the warm heavy comfort foods of fall, like stews and lambs shanks just didn't taste real good anymore. I also noticed that she and I both were craving more veggies and salads and having just a salad with "stuff" on it with a side of fruit was very satisfying. Her favorite is my shrimp and avocado salad.

Although I don't think we'll go totally vegetarian, I do think we have reduced our meat meals to maybe 3 times a week. As we get more into spring and summer we eat primarily fruit and veggies because there is so much wonderful produce at the farm markets.

My goal is to eat lighter meals, then move more towards fewer meat based meals. We'll see how that goes.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2008 :  09:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's great to eat fresh seasonal fruits and veggies. I always feel like I get an extra jump of energy from biting into something fresh from the garden. There is nothing so great as having a sandwich made from fresh baked whole wheat bread, a nice thick slice of grilled mushroom, a slice fresh of garden tomato and sweet peppers. Yum! Oh I can hardly wait!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  3:30:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to get my library to interlibrary loan this book for me, and see what it's all about. The guys in my family are huge carnivores, you should hear DH complain about giving up meat on Fridays right now during Lent!

Oh well, we all have the right to eat differently! (but it's hard to get your beef farmer husband to see the good health aspects of eating less meat...)

Lori
Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  07:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
A great thread.. my resolution this year was to head back to my former vegetarian ways. I've been finding a lot of support and good info at susanpowteronline.com I don't know if you remember her, but she was the original "Skinny *itch".. ;)
You'll find recipes, workout ideas, and an online community of other who are eating this way. It's an empowering site.
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  09:35:28 AM  Show Profile
I am reading a great book- The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. It is basically mostly a raw diet.. The author says it is better to take it slow to get to where you are mostly 100% raw (eating all raw everyday with an occasional cooked meal). For people like me who have a lot of weight to lose she recommends eating raw until dinner. Then have a large salad before your cooked portion. But then you can have meat or starches but never together- as it would take to long to digest- you want your food to go in and out as quick as possible.
It is a good read.. check it out at the library..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  09:59:23 AM  Show Profile
I forgot about Susan Powter. She was so very popular in the 80's?
I will check out that website for sure:)

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  10:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I must say, I am really pleased with the Boca brand Chik'in patties. They taste like real chicken to me!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2008 :  4:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
Ahh.. we eat Boca allll the time!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  04:14:04 AM  Show Profile
there are so many great meatless products out there. have you every tried TVP? It is very good in a lot of things. I use it a lot to thicken soups and stews as well as a ground beef replacer.
Also a great quick, easy meatless main is....
-firm tofu drained
-tamari or soy or brags liquid
-nutritional yeast flakes

slice the tofu somewhat thinly, soak it in the liquid, then cover it with nutritional yeast flakes. put them on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350 oven for approx 10 minutes each side
takes like shake and bake chicken...YUM!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  04:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What is TVP?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

HFox
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Laura
Parkesburg PA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  05:53:54 AM  Show Profile  Send HFox a Yahoo! Message
Textured Vegetable Protein. Bob's Red Mill is the Brand I use:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/

You can use it to "fake" ground meats or add it to one dish meals for extra veggie protein. It's made from soybeans.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  06:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie-
For your recipe, when you say "soy" as a liquid- do you mean soy milk or soy sauce?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2008 :  11:07:02 AM  Show Profile
oops!:) I meant soy sauce. I haven't tried Bob's Red mill TVP as i usually go to the bulk food store and get it there sooooo cheap!!

Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:05:04 PM  Show Profile
I lost a lot of weight in a short period of time on the Susan Powter program and McDougall program (similar diet vegan lowfat) after Eimi was born. I lost 75 lbs in about 7 months. I am going to be brutally honest here. I have a lot of weight to lose. Like 150 lbs! I used to say that I was the healthiest fat person you had ever met but not anymore. I have developed bursitis in my knee and plantars faciitis in my left foot. and because I walk on it weird and have uneven terrain out here I now have a bad ankle in the same foot as the pf foot. I feel like an old woman! I have got to get this weight off once and for all. At this point if I could afford it I would get the gb surgery but I can't afford it. I have no insurance either to cover it. So I need to approach my diet with what would give me the most nutrients with the least amount of calories and fat- to insure the quickest loss- that I can get some weight off my knee and ankle/foot quick! I am sure even just 50 lbs at this point would make a huge difference.
So from experience I know that the SP/McDougall program allow me to eat comfort foods- rice, pasta, beans, oatmeal, fruits, veggies and as much as I want while still allowing me to lose a lot of weight quickly- as there is virtually no fat in the above foods unless you add it. I have got to do this. I haven't had a regular menstrual cycle in a year because of stress and weight issues.
Part of my struggle is that my hubby thinking in his mind that it would help me was always teasing me about my weight. This did not help me- it led me to the fridge. I finally came up with an analogy that helped him to understand.. I asked him if he thought he would have come this far in his sobriety if I hadn't encouraged him, if I had teased and tormented him daily about his condition. He bowed his head- he finally got it. He told me that he knew for sure that if he had been daily harrassed as he has done to me that he wouldn't have made it this far. So maybe now with his encouragement I can get somewhere. I sure would appreciate your support in this.. I just have to make it work this time!

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  2:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Aghhhhhh....the ever popular "loose the weight" conversation. I have been up and down sooooo many times. It IS discouraging yes? I've been vegetarian, vegan, even macrobiotic (lots of brown rice, seaweed, and bancha tea), oh and the bottle-of-cheap-wine-and-a-slice-of cheese-a-day diet of my own invention (I don't recommend it.)...I've tried em all....w/my most successful being Atkins (believe it or not)! Interestingly enough, when I was seriously following Atkins, there were a bunch of us at work all "dieting" some were Weight Watchers, a few of us were Atkins, one was a medical weight loss program and one person was on Sugar Busters. We all lost about 25-30 pounds in the same amount of time! I think that the only one who kept it all off, was the Sugar Busters gal. Why? Because she eliminated white/processed sugars from her diet and left them out. (at least that's my theory) I've put back on my 30 pounds over the years for a variety of reasons including I just can't stay away from rich, empty carbs! However, now that I'm starting to feel better (sorta) it's time to again lose that weight and keep it off. My new diabetes/high bp make it imperative that I take better care of myself! (something I am NOT good at, at all....)

I've always tried to take care of my family. The kids don't even know the chicken nuggets are tofu and the corn dogs don't have a "dog" anywhere near them! (except the one at our feet who would willingly do anything to get a taste!) The milk is organic, even though it's $6 a gallon and there is only organic sugar & flour in my baking cabinet. I started a garden and I've put up corn/tomatoes/blueberries/and some peaches.

Tonight's dinner...(OK we still are meat eaters around here) cubesteak w/organic mushies, tomatoes from the garden, acorn squash from the garden, organic chocolate pie, wild rice pilaf, and cucumbers from the farmers market (I only had 1 in the garden and that's another post) Oh and for me (instead of meat) is some wonderful little patty pan squashes sauted with some of those mushies/onions from the FM/and heirloom garlic, also from the FM

Alee, how are you doing?
Debra, you hang in there! YOU are worth it for your own good health!!!

Edited by - StarMeadow on Aug 25 2008 2:03:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  2:14:23 PM  Show Profile
I have done it all too- but the McDougall program was the one that I succeeded with. It isn't all or nothing- his philosophy is that the more you eat this way the better you will feel.
Several months ago I was doing Atkins. I lost 16 lbs and then 3 weeks nothing- in the end I went up 3 lbs. No change in my eating habits or anything. that did it for me. :-)

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://modernmanna.org
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTs2fAv/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Skinny Bleep Lifestyle Progress Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page