Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Skinny Bleep Lifestyle Progress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Skinny Bleep Lifestyle Progress Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  5:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay. So I was kind of skeptical when I heard all the rave reviews of Skinny *itch. But I have been listening to the Audiobook of it all day today, and I have got to say. They have this "meat and potatoes" gal convinced. I am going to give it a shot. They recommend that if you don't feel up to jumping right in to veganism, that you remove at least 1 bad thing a week. I am going to get a running start and remove meat and dairy this week, and as we get the money to go shopping again, I will cut out the rest! Wish me lots of luck!

Any other Vegans or people trying to convert to vegitarian or vegan please feel free to jump in and talk about your journey as well!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  6:04:48 PM  Show Profile
oh my.. good luck. I have been vegetarian and vegan in the past and wasn't happy after a season. I feel great now- I am losing weight.. if I could just get organic meat and dairy I would feel so much better. but I can only do what I can.
I still many vegetarian items but can't live without meat and dairy. you go girl!

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  6:23:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The dairy is going to be hard because I am addicted to milk and cheese. But I lived the first 13 years of my life without milk and cheese, so I am sure I can go back.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  7:28:29 PM  Show Profile
cream, butter and cheese would be hard for me! so I can relate.

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2008 :  8:32:28 PM  Show Profile
Meat would be easier than dairy for me. Not that I want to give up meat completly either though..haha. I could start with sugar and like that..much easier!! Good luck Alee!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  08:28:22 AM  Show Profile
I can't eat any dairy my tummy yells at me later. So for the past 8 years or so I have been using soy milk. Avoiding cheese is my problem I love it, but it gives me migraines so I shouldn't eat it anyway, but i do . My daughter and I tried to go vegan about 10 years ago but for some reason i don't remember why we stopped. I am trying this vegetarian/vegan thing again. Mostly for my health, to lose weight, and to feel better. I would love to go all organic but I can afford to right now. I am haveing trouble buying vegies, like which ones to buy and how to cook some of them. But a part of this is because I am trying to only buy local or US grown produce, not an easy thing to do. The rice and beans I have down lol. I would love to get my hands on some recipes that didn't include expensive items such a coconut oil. If any of you have any pass them along if you would like.

"Not all who wander are lost"
JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  08:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Last night I had my last milk chocolate bar for a while. I also cut out meat and did my best to cut out dairy. Lately I have been a milk-a-holic so last night I had my last few sips of milk and am leaving the rest for Nora who needs the milk still. For a snack I had a Boca burger but I forgot to get whole wheat buns so I just ate it with a little bit of ketchup. Then for dinner I had lentils and rice. Although the lentils and rice are not vegan or vegitarian because I made them with chicken stock about a week ago. BUT..they need to get eaten and are much closer than grilling up a steak or chicken breast. So for this week I will cut out actually eating meat and only finish up the stuff made with chicken stock. Next time I make this dish, I will make it with veggie stock instead.

I am waiting for my body to tell me it's hungry so I can have breakfast. But right now it is pretty content to just be. Normally by now I would have eaten something because you are "supposed" to eat first thing in the morning.

One thing that this book really opened my eyes up to is how much we listen to others about what we are "supposed to do" and when we are "supposed to" do it. Instead of listening to our bodies and our own brains.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  08:33:40 AM  Show Profile
Good lock sweetie!! Bon appetit mon amie!!!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  08:42:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey Alee
Is your hubby going to do this too?? I know men are more reisitant to this much of the time. It's funny, cause I gave up cheese for Lent, & can already tell in 3 days my bra is not as tight. Then Thursday, I made a big pot of veggie lentil soup (which hubby called "interesting")
& last night we had venison enchiladas(I scraped off the cheese). So I am going to try to eat less meat, but don't know if we'll go totally vegan. Just most of the time.. Keep us updated on your progress
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  08:48:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I'll talk to him about it. I am sure that if he sees me drop weight and get healthy he will be more willing to try it. He has gone off meat before, but right new sure is a carnivor!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  12:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am doing pretty good with just having fruit for breakfast and then eating a good lunch. Well, today is yet to be seen. Hubby just went to go do an errand and said he would bring home lunch. I wonder if he will remember I said I am trying to go vegitarian/vegan? If not, I will go ahead and eat what he brings because he is being super sweet to bring food. Changes are coming. Slowly but surely. I have to change lots of ways I am thinking for it to be a lifestyle change and not just a "diet". But I also have to respect our budget too! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  12:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Having run an organic market garden for the past eight years, I have seen every type of diet going. Some crazy bizarre ones too! For what it's worth, here are my personal observations of the folks that come to my farm, starting with the healthiest:

1. Strict organic food eaters - they win #1. Vibrant, beautiful skin, etc. etc.
2. Organic vegetarians - those that do it properly, combining proteins, etc. Close tie to #1.
3. Vegetarians.
4. Meat and potatoes folks.
5. Vegans.
6. Fast food lovers.
7. "Raw Foodies" - I don't know why, but the ones I have seen come here are the sickest looking of them all. Go figure.

Di
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2008 :  5:06:34 PM  Show Profile
Seems like it used to be in the 'old days' that "health food stores' were merely places to buy supplements and frozen veggie burgers, that the sickest looking people around were the ones hanging around at "health food" stores. Fortunately, all that has changed with the advent of natural, whole food markets and organic food stores. I love to shop at them - wish there was one around where I live!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  09:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I agree with you. It seems that every time I call something a diet I fail at it. And I really do have to change my way of thinking, which is a hard thing to do after all these years. The budget is a concern also, it's the food that is Good for you that is expensive. All the junk and "bad" for you foods are the ones that are affordable. hmmm makes you wonder. I wish I had a yard so I could grow some of my own veggies . I am still going at it although I will admit that I have eaten chicken once this weekend. It seems that organic peanut butter and Jelly have become my best friend, at least until I find some good recipes.

Cathy

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Changes are coming. Slowly but surely. I have to change lots of ways I am thinking for it to be a lifestyle change and not just a "diet". But I also have to respect our budget too! LOL

JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  10:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been doing pretty good for someone who used to be a HUGE carnivor.

For breakfast every morning I have had only fruit or fruit juice. Most mornings I make a strawberry smoothie with just water for the liquid because we ran out of frozen juice and I haven't bought soy milk yet. I know it sounds weird, but it isn't that much different than just eating a strawberry!

Last night, hubby's and my burritos got mixed up and with this cold, I couldn't tell I was eating chicken and cheese before more than half the burrito was gone. That and Nora was having a "don't put me to bed" panic attack so I was a bit distracted.

I also snitched about half a teaspoon of Nora's scrambled eggs this morning because they looked SOOO good, and a tiny bit of toast with butter.

Okay so I am a better vegitarian than vegan, but I am working on it and not beating myself up about small slip ups. I figure I am making progress and that is what really counts.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  07:33:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh Good luck Alee! I hope this lifestyle change works out for you. We are mighty carnivores here and I am trying to cut back to being super snobbish about what I eat and only once in a while have meat. I make a better vegetarian then I would do as a vegan *sigh*

Let us know how you do =) I'm cheerin' for ya

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  07:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am doing better as a vegitarian than a vegan too- but I am trying. I went to the Co-Op yesterday and bought a few supplies.

NSA Organic Red Wine
Soya Cheddar (non dairy cheese)
Non Dairy Feta cheese
Rice Dream Ice Cream (Non dairy as well)
Soy Milk
Fruit
Veggies
An Eggplant
hmm... I know there was more but I can't think of it right now.

Oh, I did cave and buy some California Sushi rolls, though. They have real crab in them so I failed a bit there. But Sushi is a huge weakness of mine...yum yum yum...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  4:42:14 PM  Show Profile
how is it going Alee? I am having some 2nd thoughts about this low carb thing. I have lost 16 lbs but nothing in 3 weeks and I have even put on 3 lbs without changing anything in my diet.. that is a major bummer.. To top it all off I am truly getting sick of meat, cheese and eggs! I never thought that would happen but I am just sick of it. If I am sick of it after 1 month how will I be able to maintain it forever? Then you hear of this beef recall. I can't afford to buy farm fed organic beef. Oh well, it just got me thinking. Since I am now at a different place, and more determined than ever to get this weight off- maybe I ought to go back to my raw food diet. At least I could have fruit, and chocolate!! I made to die for chocolate bliss balls... all raw.. and soooo good. the kids loved them.

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  5:46:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DaisyFarm

7. "Raw Foodies" - I don't know why, but the ones I have seen come here are the sickest looking of them all. Go figure.

Di

This caught my eye because every raw foodie I have met have looked so vibrantly healthy. But I guess there are all sorts out there. Even those who consume only raw foods could have eating disorders, or are eating mono diets- 1 food only per meal (this to me seems unhealthy). I know when I did raw food only I felt the best I have ever felt- I just wasn't at a place where I was ready to give it all up. I am at a much better place now and I am making that transition.
But I do agree that 100% organic is the best way all around.

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2008 :  10:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Things are going great, Debra. I feel wonderful and I know the weight would be coming off faster if I had a moment to exercise. This last week has been so busy with computer problems and Nora having sleep issues plus being sick plus me being sick. But that aside, I find I am actually less hungry and more satified with my foods. I haven't had meat cravings, and have only had tiny amounts of dairy. I love being able to eat all the fruits and veggies I want. There is so much variety in fruits and veggies.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  04:31:54 AM  Show Profile
Hey there
I have often thought of "trying" to be vegan just to see if it would clear up all of this sinus/mucus stuuf that is going on with me. I have had a re-occuring ear ache for approx. 10 years and no one seems to know what it is that is causing it. (tried dentist, ENT DR., and natropath) anyway......one step at a time. Good luck Alee!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  05:26:05 AM  Show Profile
I just remembered that I have a book called "May All Be Fed-Diet for a New World" by John Robbins
It is a great book and I forgot all about it. He promotes a vegan lifestyle and he grew up in the ice cream world. (His father invented Baskin Robbins)
I have another book that I refer to every once in awhile. It is called "Fit For Life" by Marilyn and Harvey Diamond. It talks about food combining and promotes a vegetarian lifestyle. Both very good books!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  06:14:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I thought that I would really miss meat- but I don't. I have always enjoyed a "steak and potatoes" diet, but now I am just enjoying the potatoes! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  07:06:06 AM  Show Profile
I never thought I would get sick of meat- but I miss fruit and veggies. I decided last night that I am going to pick up a case of bananas, some spinach and some oranges and do a green smoothie cleanse until we can afford a bigger shopping. I could use a cleanse I am sure.

Blessings, Debra
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  07:24:42 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying to go vegetarian and I feel better already even though I had some farm raised elk a few days ago...I'm eating more salads and fruit and know that wait loss will be slow due to hypothyroidism, but I'm going to stick to it. It DOES take time to lose weight healthily, so we should all encourage each other and not get mad at our selves when we slip up and eat what we shouldn't, so long as we go back to doing what is right. We are re-training our bodies and our brains to do a different thing then we are used to. It will take some time as well. Hang tight girls!

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CathyM
True Blue Farmgirl

344 Posts

Cathy
Tulsa OK
USA
344 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2008 :  4:43:00 PM  Show Profile
I think your right we should all support each other with this great adventure we are on. I fell much better eating a vegan/vegetarian diet, I am trying to give up cheese, it is my biggest weakness. I made a crock pot full of pinto beans the other day, it was my second attempt with out a recipe. To my joy they came out wonderful . I had enough to share with my sister and mom. I bought them the book in an attempt to get us all healthy. My mom has so many health problems that she could use all the help she can get. I even found her an MD the does holistic/alternative medicine mixed in with traditional medicine, in order to get her off a few of her meds. She had been complaining about the meds for awhile. All this said, she is feeling much better with a lot more energy than before and has been able to cut 2 of her meds in half so far . So I am very happy about that.

JRR Tolkien
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Skinny Bleep Lifestyle Progress Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page