Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 what can you do with an underripe watermelon?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic what can you do with an underripe watermelon? Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  2:40:22 PM  Show Profile
I was an idiot and managed to kill my best watermelon vine and I have one that is about 6 inches in diameter, still green on the inside. It's currently cut in half in my fridge. If there is nothing we can do I'll just compost it, but I felt so sad about killing the whole thing I was hoping I could do SOMETHING with it.

(those ants I was fighting with, I thought I had them under control and then I was out pulling weeds a few days ago and I must have pulled out the main part of the nest attatched to the weed because they all ran up my hand biting as they went, so I said some very un lady like things and doused them in a LOT of undeluted vinegar... ants are gone, but it killed my watermelon vine too :( Moral to that story is "never kill ants in anger" :))

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  3:26:24 PM  Show Profile
My grandma used to make watermelon rind pickles. I really liked them. They're made from the green/white part(without the skin), maybe your whole watermelon can be cubed and pickled.

I found a recipe:

Watermelon Pickles

Ingredients:

4-1/2 pounds watermelon rind
1/3 cup of pickling salt
3-1/2 cups of sugar
1-1/2 cups white vinegar
8 cinnamon sticks
2 tsp whole cloves

Preparation:

Cut the skin and the pink flesh from the rind, cut it into 1-inch squares (should produce about 9 cups), and put it in a large bowl. Mix the salt with 6 cups of water, cover the rind, and let it stand overnight. Drain the rind and rinse it under running water. Put it in a large pot and cover it with water. Heat it to a gentle boil and cook for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer until the rind is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain.

In a separate kettle, combine the sugar, vinegar, cinnamon and cloves with 1-1/2 cups of water, bring to a boil and let it cook for 10 minutes. Strain out the solids, return it to the kettle and add the rind. Bring it back to a boil, cover and boil gently until the rind is clear, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Pack the rind into hot, clean half-pint canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch of headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe the jar rings and seal the lids. Process the filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 10 minutes. Remove the jars from the canner and cool on racks.

Nancy

Edited by - quiltedess on Aug 26 2005 3:36:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic what can you do with an underripe watermelon? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page