PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  11:26:08 AM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
Does anyone have a good -- and simple -- design for a compost bin? I need something I can manage to build by myself, not too difficult to turn the materials inside, and can be "animal-proofed" against the wild critters. I can buy something already built and plastic, but would just as soon not spend the $$, not to mention shipping costs, if I can do it myself.

Thanks in advance,

Paula J.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  11:50:26 AM  Show Profile
Paula, The most successful compost bins we ever built were constructed from 12 - 5' 2x2's and whatever pieces of 1" stock we could find. We used an ax to "sharpen" one end of each 2x2. Then we drove them into the ground in two rows, doubling up the center ones Something like this: (Pay no attention to the letters, just let the dots represent the 2x2's. Set c,d about an inch apart. Then e-f, h-i, and j-k)
B. c..d e..f .G
A. h..i j..k .L
Then we nailed 1" stock around the outside edges leaving the front open. Next we cut 1" stock the distance to fit from c-h and e-j and slid them into place. We stacked them about 1' to start, then as we found more wood, we added. Don't nail these pieces. ABch becomes bin 1, as it gets somewhat full (don't forget to pile towards the center)and you need to turn it, just remove the board to the center and let it start falling into idej and finish shoveling. Each time you need to turn it, you just remove the boards in the direction you want it to fall, and continue to have the first bin be where you throw the stuff to be composted. If it starts to smell, put a tiling pipe in the center as you turn the compost. We cut pieces of plywood for the fronts and attached them with hooks like you use on a screen door to keep critters out. After it gets to bin three, it can sit to finish without really needing any more turning.

We found this to be the easiest one to use without investing in the plastic roller type.

Of course the easiest of all is to pile the stuff up in an unoticed corner of the yard, plant something like Queen Anne's Lace in front of it and let it rot! (Smile!) That's all our friend Tim has ever done.
Happy composting!
Joy

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  4:11:07 PM  Show Profile
I have done compost bins with pallets alot of times..should build another one out back soon....we will have all those wonderful leaves...I just stand two on end, with the nicest looking parts out...and wire the top and bottom together at an angle(making one of the corners) and then the other side too..with the front part open (Three pallets with two wired corners top and bottoms and then I nail a peice of plywood or several planks across the front about 1/2 as tall as the pallets..leaves me alot of room to
stir and add to it. I have added wire to the top of the planks on front to make the pile higher and then take it off to maintain things..when you want to move it you can just unwire it and it all comes apart. We have lots of pallets (husband gets as many as he wants at work free) so I try to use them for more than firewood (which he DOES for the little woodstove in his garage/shop for winter time) It is really a simple one to build for one person. I usually need a kid to help with holding up the first two until the third one is attached enough for it to be freeestanding..but I have done it with no help before too.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  5:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Paula,
There are several other places on the forum where composting has been discussed with several types of it discussed. In one one I posted photos of my chicken tractors and my pallett 3 bin composting system. I am posting the link here again so you can see the simple and free compost system we built with 7 shipping pallets we got for free from a wood stove store.
Here are some photos of my 2 chicken tractors and my 3 chamber compost system.The composting system is for a sawdust toilet system as well as garden trimmings based on instructions from "The Humaneur Handbook". It was constructed of 7 identical shipping pallets I got for free and some 4 by 4 scrap lumber also free.

You can view the album at:

Eileen

You can view the album at:
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=eileenspics&password=11924640

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

CindyDale
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  8:38:48 PM  Show Profile
This is plastic but very simple to make a small bin that is easy to turn:

Get a round plastic garbage can with a tight lid and drill rows of holes all around the sides about 8 inches apart.

To turn it, just put it on its side and roll it around on the ground.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

dolphindream
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  05:49:59 AM  Show Profile
We did exactly what Cindy described. It works great and keeps the critters out. We have a variety of poisonous snakes here so that was our main concern.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Compost Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page