DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:09:13 PM  Show Profile
In my infinite wisdom I planted 3 Atlantic giant pumpkin seeds and I now have 5 pumpkins pushing at least 100+ lbs each. Let's see... 5x100 = 500 POUNDS OF PUMPKIN...and they're not finished growing yet..lol. I maybe make 2 pumpkin pies in a year at Thanksgiving, I do have a pumpkin loaf and cookie recipe, as well as a yeast bread and soup recipe.
Any suggestions as to what to do with the other 475 lbs???

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Last Resort: If you split them open and put them near your bird feeder the birds will love you...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:24:00 PM  Show Profile
maybe raffle them off? boy..that is one whole lot of pumkin..you could sure try ANY recipe we could come up with!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  11:39:14 PM  Show Profile
My hubby has volunteer pumpkins that came up this year, he has enough that the 10 g-kids are coming for Jack o'lanterns this year, ours are like yours HUGE, the smaller ones I am going to try to can pumpkin pie filling, for pies, cakes cookies, whatever, just can't stand anything to go to waste.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  11:54:36 PM  Show Profile
That's exactly the way I feel Arlene...can't stand to see food of any kind go to waste, it's almost sinful. I had hoped to maybe cut some of it up and wrap it for the food banks, but unfortunately they have no cold storage for it.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  01:08:02 AM  Show Profile
Myabe instead of your obligatory 2 pies a year you could can it and make pies for them for the holidays,,,just a thought, don't know how much time you have on your hands,,,,,personally my boss just does not understand the whole "canning season" idea
Go to Top of Page

Ahodge
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Anne
334 SW Well, Fort White FL
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  06:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Ahodge a Yahoo! Message
you could can the pumpkin, add a card with your favorite pumpkin recipe and give it as gifts for Christmas to friends and family
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  11:04:20 AM  Show Profile
You can always give them to the nearby daycares and schools for the kids to have fun with around Halloween or even nursing homes who like to decorate for fall?

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art and apron......

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile
You could all roll those extra punkins to me in Kansas. My pumpkin vines did not produce even one pumpkin for me this summer.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  7:02:55 PM  Show Profile
There is a good Colonial Pumpkin Bars recipe on the net. We make pumpkin and bacon pasta, and pumpkin stew with flava? beans and a date cous cous, I love it. There are also recipes for beef stew and pumpkin in it. You can have boiled pumpkin with all meat meals, that is the standard meal when I was growing up, meat with vegies. Also roasted meat with roast pumpkin, although it may not be the weather for that where you are.

My Nana always mashed hers and froze it and used it later for her pumpkin bars or warmed in a pot for having with lamb for tea etc.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  7:14:51 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I can almost hear the gagging and retching from here but THIS IS REALLY GOOD!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothies.................mmmmmmmmmmmm
http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=28466

I also like the Curried Pumpkin Soup recipe from this site.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  03:20:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm in the same situation. I can think of eight Atlantic Giants. After I'm done using them for fall decorations my husband will start cutting them up with a chainsaw so that I can feed them to the livestock and poultry. I'm going to set one at the edge of the garden to rot to see what I get for a cross next year. What I can't use for the animals will go into the compost pile to feed next year's pumpkins. I've never grown these before and haven't used them for baking.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  04:45:22 AM  Show Profile
With the weather changing a bit,yesterday
I dug up my family's favorite soup recipe. It makes alot of soup so start with a large pot. It is sooooo good!!

Curried Pumpkin Vegetable Soup
saute' together in olive oil:
2 onions or leeks chopped
2 stalks of celery
3 cloves of garlic
When soft add:
2 qts. good chicken broth or water
1 lb. cooked pumpkin (or a small can)
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 small can chick peas
1 peeled, cubed sweet potato
1 cup green beans, cut bite size
salt, pepper, curry powder to taste
Simmer all together until soft.
Before serving add:
2 cups chopped spinach
1 cup cooked basmati rice
big handful chopped cilantro
1 can coconut milk (optional but real tasty!)
Other optional additions to add just before serving:
1/8 cup golden raisins
or
1/8 cup pine nuts

This soup gets raves whenever I serve it and the leftovers are even better!
When I cook down a pumpkin, I weigh out the amount I need for this soup and for my favorite pie recipe and freeze exactly that amount and label it. I throw it frozen into the soup and thaw it out for the pie and then drain it well.

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Aug 24 2005 04:54:40 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Pumpkin Overload...help!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page