Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 You Know You're A Farmgirl When...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic You Know You're A Farmgirl When... Next Topic
Page: of 4

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  5:02:01 PM  Show Profile
when the animals know the sounds of YOUR car when you drive up and insist on a visit before you can go in the house with the groceries..and you like it!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  7:41:37 PM  Show Profile
When your 5 year old daughter can help round up and catch the Babydoll Sheep

When you go into work and you're brushing the hay off your clothes

When your Christmas cards always have pictures of the new farm animal babies

When an alpaca kiss can instantly put you in a good mood

No one leaves your house without a bouquet of flowers, baskets of tomatoes, and bags of zucchini
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  09:16:11 AM  Show Profile
Jenny -- that's exactly what happens when I go to Missy's. The animals know the sound of my car and when I drive up the driveway they're all standing at the fence waiting. They're so cute I always have to stop and say hi to them!

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  09:51:17 AM  Show Profile
...when folks stop to buy eggs on their way into the city and they're all dressed to the nines and you're in sweats (probably with a hole), an old shirt and boots...and you look at them and feel glad that pantyhose no longer exists in your wardrobe.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1831 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1831 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  10:23:05 AM  Show Profile
hang clothes on the clothes line.
know how to pit cherries, peel apples, shell peas, snap beans etc and can or freeze them.
Good clothes and everyday clothes.
know how to chase cows, pigs, chickens etc back into the field or shed.
comment on the crops in the fields no matter where you go.
know how to drive a tractor, milk a cow, call pigs, gather eggs.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1831 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1831 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2005 :  1:29:10 PM  Show Profile
The comment Daisyfarm made reminded me of a painting I was fortunate to see as part of the Grant Wood art exhibit that was here recently in Cedar Rapids. One painting was of two women - one dressed up fancy in a hat and coat and the other was a farm women with a stocking cap and an old safety pinned sweater holding a red hen. The farm woman was obviously dealing with the city lady. It is a painting that really tells a story. The most famous painting of course is the man in overalls and a pitch fork and the women with her hair pulled back and an apron over her dress in front of the Gothic church. I think Grant Woods paintings do a wonderful job of depicting farm life in the midwest. I would recommend the art exhibit if you have a chance to see it.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  05:10:07 AM  Show Profile
These are great! Hey, my hubby knows where my heart is; one Christmas he gave me my own oxy-acetylene torch! My own tanks and everything! Last year I got a really nice propane heater for the barn, for days like this (c-c-cold!) where I have to stand out for HOURS with the farrier. You know you're a farmgirl when the heater in the car blows up smells you recognize from your morning chores; when you have to tell somebody to wait on the phone while you punch down your bread; when you choose your carpet colors according to the color of your dog's hair and the hue of the mud in the area; when it's exciting as all heck to get a load of new gravel for the drive; when you're sleepless because of a horse not eating well, and climb out of bed, get dressed and cross the yard with a bottle of Pepto and a syringe the size of a cannon; when you're itchy in winter to start pruning the fruit trees back; when you get excited about cleaning out your potting shed and making the space work again; when you get animated over seed catalogs, and dream summer dreams; when you know fifty ways to use an apple, or a zucchini, or a tomato; when you sense the past in any old tool, old textile, or old anything; when you are more interested in how things were done a hundred years ago than how they're done now, because the old way is probably more useful to you; when you have conversations with all your animals, and know they understand with perfect clarity; when you think of any other way of life and shudder at the thought, because despite the hardships, the expenses, the setbacks and inconveniences of farm life, you know it's the best life for you, and can't imagine thriving in any other way.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  2:59:59 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if this one counts for being a farmgirl or just plain ditsy

....when you're slicing hot peppers to put up for drying, have to go potty, so, you wash your hands, go potty, handle a monthly feminine task, and a few minutes later you learn that your hand washin' wasn't enough for all that pepper juice.....because you're on fire down there!

Yep, happened to me this morning.
Stop laughing.

Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2005 :  3:18:50 PM  Show Profile
Catherine -

Now that I have stopped laughing - so funny and yes been there done that.

When you rather sit and read the plant catalogs and shop for bulbs, seeds, etc for spring instead of a new spring wardrobe.
After a hard day at work, your idea of stress relief is to pull weeds, prune plants and dig up the garden.
And yes, even though I don't have a farm with farm animals, I have cats and yes they know the sound of my car and wait by the door for me to greet each one and ask how their day was.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  08:50:59 AM  Show Profile
You know you're a farm girl when....
...your hubby gives you a brand new set of tools for Valentine's Day. And you're happy about it because you have a lot of things to fix up around the place.
...you can't wait to order your new seeds from the seed catalogue (just like asnedecor!)
...you love the weekly trip to Home Depot so you can check out new garden tools
...you get excited when the "Grain News" shows up in the mail.
...you don't think that peeling, slicing, blanching and freezing 12 pounds of carrots from the garden is "work"

Oh, I do love the farm girl life!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  12:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Yes Manda ...on the hay on your shoes going into work..I have hay on my shoes every morning I go into work~~
And on my pants/skirt, coat, and even sometimes in my hair !
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2005 :  1:10:08 PM  Show Profile
I usually have hay in my pockets of my coat too..and almost always somewhere in my hair.
And right now MUD to deal with. Not everyone has muddy shoes everywhere they go. I do.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  04:19:00 AM  Show Profile
I don't mind getting hay in my hair or shoes. What I mind is when it gets in my bra. It itches like mad, and I usually don't figure out that I have some in there until I'm somewhere that I can't do anything about it.

From time to time, it's best to go through the pockets of chore coats. In the midst of that big handful of shake there's usually a couple of screws, a nail, some eye drops, and cough drops.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  09:22:22 AM  Show Profile
I am trying to decide if I should put a little swimming pool of water by my door to swish off all the mud on my boots before I go in or just hope a shoe brush will get it off. Seems like we have so much clay in the soil here that if I let it dry on my boots I have to chip pottery off my boots.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2005 :  09:47:05 AM  Show Profile
When you ask Santa for a new wheelbarrow.

Get giddy when The Farm News comes in the mail.

You enjoy the company of your farm animals more than most humans!!!(Including some family members)just tellin it like it is!

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  6:39:18 PM  Show Profile
When you tell your favorite city gal that you can't talk at the moment, you have to drive your goat to her boyrfriend, to be bred, she's in season....My girlfriend stopped me by laughing so hard she dropped the phone.

Or you beam with extreme pride when your son didn't make the football team but won Grand Champion at the 4-H county fair with his hens!
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2005 :  11:56:49 PM  Show Profile
When your about to butcher a chicken, its neck laying stretched out so nicely as chickens do---- your 6 yr old says "were going to eat you chicken" with a smile on her face. you wonder if you are warping this little kids mind,or if there will be any long term damage here!!
But she is now 34 and turned out just fine!!!!!
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  12:02:53 AM  Show Profile
when you look out in the small side pasture where you have put 6-7 goat kids out to romp for the day, and same daughter is reaching under the babies tummies doing something of which you dont want to know. but you ask and she tells ya
"Im pulling these sticks off the baby goats tummies" ie- thier dried cords that have not fallen off yet.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  05:42:05 AM  Show Profile
when you open the back screen door, yell, "Good morning everybody!", and you hear a chorus of barks, meows, clucks, quacks, bleats, and snorts replying back.

even better...when you open the same door and those same critters come running inside.

when your kids learn about the birds and the bees from watching the animals. The only hard thing to explain is why the male duck's private part is shaped like a corkscrew. God must have had a sense of humor on that creation day.

Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

cherryhillhouse
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Barb
Dorr MI
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  06:39:40 AM  Show Profile
You guys are the best...I'm so glad to see that I'm making progress in my move toward being a farm girl
Barb

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  04:52:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
The only hard thing to explain is why the male duck's private part is shaped like a corkscrew. God must have had a sense of humor on that creation day.

So do boars! I have to admit to never giving it a whole lot of thought, but one day in an animal science class in college, we were taken to do a lab at a top hog farm. We were to AI sows, and the 'applicators' were curly! Apparently the sow wants to have it as expected....

Taught me that I don't think about things much.
Go to Top of Page

Snowden Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Mumsie
Valley WA
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  05:24:56 AM  Show Profile
When you are all dressed up nice..for church or a social event..and notice there is chicken p**p on your shoes..cuz ya just had to check for eggs as you was leavin!

Live simply... Love deeply...Hope forever!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  05:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann, that's hilarious! I bet y'all were making lots of jokes.

You know you're a farmgirl when....your daughters want to give you a "spa" night of pampering and when they do your hair they fix it in braided pigtails. (happened last night and I still have them in.....my New Year's Eve "do".)

Blessings!
Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2005 :  10:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
You know you're a farmgirl when....
You lose your job for wearing a straw hat! (gladly!)

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Frankenblonde
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Courtland CA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2006 :  2:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Frankenblonde a Yahoo! Message
You know you're a farm girl when...

...each time you talk to your friends about your everyday life, they say "It sounds like Little House on the Prairie!"

...you're willing to drive half an hour to pick up a Starbucks mocha, and then instead of going shopping in town, you turn around and drive home to drink your coveted beverage while working in the garden.

…you leave the bales of straw in your Suburban because they make it smell so good.

...you know a 1-year-old can sit comfortably on the front of a large wheelbarrow full of firewood.

...you know a 6-year-old boy is not faster than a 2-month-old calf.

...you know a 33-year-old man is not faster than a 2-month-old-calf.

...new visitors always get the old farm house tour, including the "This is the room the baby was born in" shocker.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic You Know You're A Farmgirl When... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page