Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What's the worst thing you had to eat & ;)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's the worst thing you had to eat & ;) Next Topic
Page: of 2

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Whats the worst thing you had to gag down and smile about.
I was laughing with my mom about this one. We were raised to be polite about bad gifts and bad food.
My fave as a kid was mom's friend who served us greasy squirrel and dumplings.
As an adult, Dad's girlfriend made chili...and didn't soak the beans. She cooked it for 18 hours and they were still hard.
DEELISH!!!

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:35:40 PM  Show Profile
We had dinner over a new church members house as sort of a get to know you. She served what she claimed to be some sort of hungarian casserole. Well the egg custurd never set so it was raw egg soupy lumpy grossness and I had two helpings just to be polite.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:37:16 PM  Show Profile
I'll eat just about anything but the grossest thing I have ever tastedcwas bread pudding. Maybe it was just the one but it tasted like spoiled milk and I have never been able to eat anything again.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:41:46 PM  Show Profile
When I was a home visitor in Seattle, I visited at home of many many different cultures. There were families from all over Eastern Africa, Thailand, Cambodia, Viet Nam, Haiti, Fiji - I can't name them all. If you refused an offer of food or drink in one of their homes they considered it an insult. I had to taste and nibble on a lot of things that I wouldn't choose to eat if I had a choice. But I"d have to say the worst for me was the GIANT tumblers of warm soy beverage the Viet Namese families would serve me. I like soy milk, but this is different, and it was always room temperature and always in a HUGE glass. I ate goat meat at an Ethiopian home once and didn't know it at the time and it was actually very good. I thought it was beef.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:43:08 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
the worst thing i had to eat is my aunts "fancy" holiday vegetables. she drizzles them with her prized bottle of olive oil that is probably 10 years old and NASTY. last year, one of my cousins and i were plotting to steal that discusting poison. really, rancid oil is BAD for you.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:44:03 PM  Show Profile
"fancy," I am laughing out loud, that is beautiful.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jo used to make this horrible concoction of green beans, stewed tomatoes, boiled chicken breast, and egg noodles. It was too soupy to be a casserole but too dry to be soup. I was raised to eat what was put in front of me when I was at someone's house, so I had to choke that mess down at least once a week every summer. Even Grandaddy, who ate ANYTHING, didn't like it.
Patricia, you were raised right! I can't even imagine what would've happened if I had turned my nose up at someone else's table!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Tuna noodle casserole. I HATE IT!!!!!!! 100% hate it. Can't stand the smell etc. Hot tuna BLECH no thanks. Mum made it when I was young and I can't stomach it. EW

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:54:55 PM  Show Profile
liver, cauliflower, and milk toast.. yuck!

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.blogspot.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  3:57:24 PM  Show Profile
When I was 10, Grandpa had a stroke. Everybody went to the hospital that evening and left my Uncle Butch in charge of us 4 kids. He made spaghetti, but somehow managed to burn it. We looked at it funny and hestitated eating it. We were taught to eat what was put in front of us without complaint. If you said you didn't like it; you got more. Anyway, Uncle poured ketchup all over it and called it spaghetti a la Butch. It was the worst thing I can ever remember having to eat.

When everybody got back, my sister and I told Grandma what Uncle had fed us. She felt bad and cooked us up something else. Even though Uncle had never cooked a day in his life, Grandma never thought that he could mess up spaghetti. I guess he prover her wrong!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  4:50:55 PM  Show Profile
tuna that was disguised to taste like ham..the lady had put like liquid smoke in the tuna to make it taste like smoked ham..uggh. I despise tuna..hate the smell/hate it! hate it! and then liver..as a kid the dr. told my mom to feed me liver..ooh hate that stuff too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  6:03:40 PM  Show Profile
My father-in-law liked to putter in the kitchen after he retired. But he always thought he could improve on a recipe by adding something sweet. God rest him, sometimes he came up with something really tasty and sometimes he just didn't. One time he made deviled eggs, and he decided to use up all the little packets of duck sauce he'd been brining home from the chinese buffet for months. He substituted the duck sauce instead of mayonnaise. It was sooo bad....I put one in my mouth and I had to spit it out.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  6:06:27 PM  Show Profile
Liver and in our house if you didn't eat your dinner you had to go right to bed and I did so happily. Can't even stand the smell of liver or lamb for that matter.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  6:36:11 PM  Show Profile
My mil always makes chocolate cream pie. She uses the pudding you have to cook, and when she serves it, the pudding is still somewhat warm. It's disgusting. I always thought anything chocolate was good, but not this. And she makes it almost every time we go over. When I was pregnant, I had gestational diabetes, so that got me out of eating it. Otherwise, I tell her not to give my 3 year old a whole piece, he can just share mine, only I give him as much as I can because he doesn't mind!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  7:12:04 PM  Show Profile
My husband told me that his grandma in Wisconsin used to make her own canned, "salmon." She would put red food coloring into the catch of the day.
Debra- do I dare ask what milk toast is?

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  7:13:47 PM  Show Profile
I went to a birthday party for my best friend's little girl, and EVERYONE raved about the MIL's devilled eggs. I mean, that was ALL I heard about, and being a devilled egg lover, I was happy and excited to have some....I noted that they were a little "neon" in color but didn't think much of it until I bit into them. Oh my. The darn thing literally got wedged in my throat and people were saying "aren't those the best things you've ever tasted?" and she was beaming at me and all the while I kept thinking..."it's coming up. I can't stop it, it's coming up..." turns out those fabulously neon eggs were made with egg and 1 part vinegar and 1 part mustard. As Patricia said, "DEELISH!"

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  7:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, this didn't happen to me but I think it's funny enough to post here. We were at a family potluck and my uncle grabbed a couple of my aunt's deviled eggs and for some reason announced really loud "I LOVE deviled eggs" so everyone was starring at him as he put one (a whole deviled egg!) in his mouth. We saw his face turn red and then saw him just swallow the whole thing. Guess what, they were frozen!! My aunt said that they were still quite warm so she stuck them in the freezer to cool down real quick but must have left them in there too long. Too funny - and so glad it didn't get lodged in his throat!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  7:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Is milk toast what my dad used to have on a cold night when he came home from the racetrack? It would be late, so he wouldn't want to eat anyting big, but mom would heat up some milk, and toast a piece of bread, butter it and put in the milk and he would eat it almost like a porridge, I think. Never looked good to me but he always seemed contented and warm ;)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  9:30:47 PM  Show Profile
yep, that's milk toast...my mother and stepdad thought it was good. Thankfully, they never insisted I have any. If my milk is hot, it had better have chocolate in it and not buttered toast. I can't handle eggs, unless they're fried hard or boiled. Especially scrambled or omelets...and I worked breakfast shift in restaurants for years. Mother insisted we eat eggs as children and if we didn't eat them warm, got them cold from the fridge for lunch. The brain won't let them past the mouth. If they're used in something like french toast or custard, it's fine, just not where they look and taste like just eggs.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  10:14:25 PM  Show Profile
"If my milk is hot, it had better have chocolate in it and not buttered toast." This made me laugh, A LOT, Ronna!

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  10:23:38 PM  Show Profile
these have been fun to read..LOL

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:05:47 PM  Show Profile
Haggis...I think I said this somewhere else. Now I know why the Scots drink Scotch, to get rid of the taste of the haggis.

And liver, which is in haggis. Along with most other 'parts.'

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Mushroom soup was the WORST thing I've ever eaten. I am gagging thinking about it. Thankfully it had a lot of salt in it and I said "oh I'm not allowed to have salt." That got me out of eating that. Then there is a particular person I know that doesn't know how to cook worth a lick. I ALWAYS get sick after eating there, so I always make sure to eat before going over there. I think they could ruin boiling water if they had the chance.

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Farmgirl Sisterhood #137
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:26:13 PM  Show Profile
Olives. There are a couple of things I'm not overly fond of, but olives are absolutely disgusting. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could possibly enjoy that taste!! The smell alone will nauseate me. They really must taste different to other people than they do to me!
But what I HAD to eat was a dish my mother would occasionally make for my dad called Seven Layer Casserole. Yep..seven layers consisting of greasy sausage, onion, potatoes, carrots and I don't even remember what else...all baked in a can of tomato soup. Pretty gross! Canned wax beans and peas are a great taste sensation too.

Di
Farmgirl Sis #73
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  2:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
LOL! OMG too funny. I love it! I lived in Guam for a year in 1978 and certain foods were very expensive. Milk was boxed and sat on the grocery shelf! Eeeew! And when you went to a restaurant and ordered milk that what they served you and there was always these little white flecks floating in the glass.
I think I've also mentioned what a hideous cook my Mother was. She had this Ambrosia Salad that she actually won an award for in a Betty Crocker Cookbook contest! Too funny, from MY Mom? Talk about choking something down...fruit, marshmallows and coconut. Yuk!

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  8:58:55 PM  Show Profile
These are hilarious!!!

I can't eat anything my Aunt makes. She grew up on my Grandma's cooking. Grandma burns/burned everything-she refuses to use a timer.
So, to compensate, my Aunt makes everything half raw. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. To top that off, if she doesn't have an ingredient OR if she doesn't like a particular ingredient, she substitutes-and it is never good. So, not only is "masterpiece" half cooked/baked, it has funky stuff in it.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What's the worst thing you had to eat & ;) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page