Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Let's Talk! Vegetarian/Vegan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Let's Talk! Vegetarian/Vegan Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Who else is looking into or is a vegitarian or vegan? I am seriously considering dropping all meat except fish from my diet as I really am trying to get fit over the next few months. I am doing Yoga and Bellydancing for workouts, and as soon as the snow and ice melt, I will start going for long walk/jogs.

But I have heard from so many people that cutting meat out really helps. The biggest thing I will struggle with is cutting out milk as I REALLY enjoy my milk! Maybe cutting to skim milk will be a good compromise?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:37:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I think you're onto something, Alee. I gave up all red meat and only eat fish. I did this over 15 years ago. Started drinking skim milk, too. That cuts a whole lot of fat from your diet. It also helped me keep my blood pressure down. Both my parents suffered from that and took medication.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Alee-I am a vegetarian and have been for the good part of 12 years or so....off and on but mostly on. I can tell you this: I am never healthier, happier and more fit than I am when I don't eat meat. I still have fish and dairy products but even the dairy is limited these days. Of course I eat eggs, but they are my chickens which are organically raised. I breathe better, think more clearly and have an overall healthier body when I am sticking to my veggie life!!

[size=1]
~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Farmgirl Sister #88

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
http://youtube.com/profile?user=GaiasRose
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
"Joyful chaos, working in tune with the seasons, telling itme by the sun, variety, change and self-direction; all this wwas replaced with a brutal, standardized work culture, the effects of which we are still suffering from today." - Tom Hodgkinson in 'How To Be Idle'
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  09:06:03 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I was a total vegetarian for 8 years, but did do dairy...I can't seem to cut it out, frankly. I might die without cheese and milk :) I really did love the way I felt, the way my skin looked, and also that I actually learned to cook...it was a life change for sure, but a good one. I missed bacon, so I went back to the darkside. I contemplate becoming a vege often now, but for the most part, I eat red meat once or twice a month. We eat a lot of chicken and a lot of fish just simply by choice. I would rarely see a downside to becoming a vegetarian unless you don't like vegetables (truly, someone I know doens't eat meat, but doesn't eat many vegetables either. They've actually gained weight because of dairy and starches....silly.)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  09:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Veggie here for...lemee see 17 years now! i love milk and cheese though, and do use some eggs! I have never, EVER missed the meat.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  10:15:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm tellin ya Alee read Skinny B**** and the recipe book Skinny B****In the Kitch and you'll NEVER look back!!! LOL! Hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  10:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I'll have to check those out, Debi :D

Anyone want to post some really delish veggie recipes? I need something so fantastic that it will tempt even my husband!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  12:57:14 PM  Show Profile
I had been vegetarian for a year and a half until I got pregnant with Tate. I should have known I was pregnant the minute I started craving fried chicken. I couldn't help but eat meat- it was all I wanted. Previously I had eaten dairy and eggs, but while pregnant they made me sick, so I was afraid I wouldn't get enough protein. For about the first week, I don't think I ate anything that wasn't meat! But I was a lot healthier when I didn't eat meat. I use to have a lot of stomach problems that disappeared when I was vegetarian and came back when I started eating meat. I just find it too difficult right now because DH loves meat and so does Sullivan. Maybe in the future I will try it again.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  3:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well, I ordered a pizza last night that had a bit of hamburger on it, and then that is going to be my last meat for at least a month. I figure I can go at least a month without beef, chicken, pork, or lamb. We'll see how I feel at the end of the month! Vegitarian Alee starts tomorrow!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2008 :  4:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I have a killer manicotti recipe that every carnivore I know loves. shhhh it has tofu in it, don't tell! It does have some eggs and dairy so if you're going totally vegan that won't help. And my black bean soup is killer too, even without meat. If you like the texture of hamburger in soups etc. you could try some TVP, have you looked into that?? I have a wonderful recipe for Gypsy soup too that is totally yummy and vegan. Let me know what kinds of foods would be helpful and I can post some recipes if you like!
Go to Top of Page

ajbaker
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Alicia
Pullman WA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  9:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Looks like no one has been on this forum for a while so I thought I'd drop by

I've been a vegetarian (no meat, poultry, fish at all) for almost 4 months now. I gave it up cold turkey. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made! I feel great and I feel like I experiment more with food now and a big variety of beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, etc. I have always loved fruits and vegetables so those aren't hard to get into my diet.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2011 :  11:10:08 PM  Show Profile
I recently started taking a liquid vegan vitamin supplement and it seems to be making a difference. I used to be a vegetarian in my college days and weighed a lot less than i do now. And I was a junk food vegetarian. Now I eat healthier, but I like to have some meat now and then. And I like cheese, though I've been told to avoid it if I have asthma.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  3:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Over a week ago the strangest thing happened. I woke up one morning and the thought of eating a dead animal made me gag. A few days later I forced myself to eat some and was sick the rest of the night. Haven't had meat since and don't miss it.

My friend have given me lots of recommendations for cookbooks and websites with great recipes. Check out Happy Herbivores. The website has some amazing recipes that are super fast and easy. The chick pea tacos were a huge hit the other night. I bought a bunch of Mooswood cookbooks at the used bookstore and all the recipes we've tried so far have been great.

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com
Go to Top of Page

ajbaker
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Alicia
Pullman WA
11 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  3:39:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, MamaCrunch! I'll check out those books. Chick pea tacos sound yummy!
vegetariantimes.com has some great recipes too. That's where I get most of mine.
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2011 :  8:50:33 PM  Show Profile
Hallelujah Acres is vegetarian and mostly raw. Nice site with lots of info and recipes http://www.hacres.com/home.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Madelena
True Blue Farmgirl

1919 Posts

Mary
Central TX
USA
1919 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  4:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Vegetarianism is probably the healthiest diet out there. Many vegetarians are lacto-ovo. It is hard to get enough calcium from a vegan diet - I know there are vitamin pills -- but the general medical consensus is that real food delivers the most complete source of nutrients for the body to use - and vitamins are a poor second.

When I was pregnant with my kiddos, my doctor was a vegetarian. He told me he had not eaten more than 1 pound of meat in his entire life. {Lacto-ovo veggie} We all know how busy and stressful a busy medical practice can be. Because of his influence, I became a ovo-lacto vegetarian, with some limited meat usage. Had healthy babies.

My DH was a tri-state canoe and kiyak champion for many years, and also won 4 Canadian masters championships. He trained as a vegetarian. These are endurance sports as races that can be 10 to 100 miles long. So one cannot argue that meat is needed to "stay strong" or for stamina.

2 American churchs - Seventh Day Adventist & Mormons -- have similary health rules. SDA espouse vegetarianism [most=lacto-ovo], and Mormons encourage only small consumption of meat. Both encourage use of WHOLE GRAINS.

Both do not drink, drug or smoke. Both reject use of coffee, tea, and caffeine products. Studies have shown that members of both groups LIVE an average of 7 - 8 YEARS LONGER & HEALTHIER, than the general American population Doens't seem to matter if they are over weight either.

++ The only real rules are to make sure you are combining foods to get your complete proteins and also getting a good variety of nutrients with fruits and vegetables. Although vegans try to eat as much food as possible raw. There are a number of foods that only deliver their full range of nutrients when cooked.

++ Just have to decide what works best for you. Give it a try... I think you will definitely notice the difference!!

"But in all things, let there be a balance. As all of nature if left to its own path will seek balance. So should we
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2011 :  6:56:36 PM  Show Profile
There is controversy over weather low fat dairy and "low" fat (extremely low) fat is really that healthy for you. You may want to do your research personally with as young as your DD is I wouldn't put her on skim milk at all, I would keep it to whole milk at least for her. Some feel the fat in the milk is what helps you digest it and take in all it's vitamins best. Personally I tend to agree-God has the fat in there for a reason is my feelings on it.

As far as vegetarian, and especially with a growing girl. Personally again make sure to do plenty of research to make sure you are replacing your proteins with plenty of healthy nutrient rich proteins, that will take care of all the needs of her and your body.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:47:30 PM  Show Profile
I love eating fish, and nuts are soo good. I hope to grow nut trees, when I have land to do that bc I think it is such a great alternative to the meat. This is a fun forum!
Id love to hear more about the chick pea tacos!!

Happiness IS being a MoM
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  5:50:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a total vegetarian, but I've been cutting back on the amount of meat I'm eating, so I'm down to just a little meat once in a while. I also do yoga which is a great work out.

Thanks for posting all of these resources! I've found that vegetarian times had a lot of good recipes also.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Let's Talk! Vegetarian/Vegan Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page