True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Lynda,
I have a set of refrigerator dishes. Some I received from my gramma and some I have purchased.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  5:34:08 PM  Show Profile
Lynda, that sounds like a nice stay, and I wish I could be adopted there as well. My husband has been lucky enough to have a day out like that.

It seems you are describing depression glass.

I love those metal cups when I was little too, you can buy them again, often some of those things where made in China and they still make them exactly the same.

Edited by - FloralSaucer on Aug 10 2005 10:05:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  9:56:35 PM  Show Profile
Kim,

What kind of white ironstone do you collect? I have some old white ironstone pieces from about that era, but I'm not sure if it's your pattern.

Jane

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action. ~Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  11:18:47 PM  Show Profile
My dad is an antique dealer, and he through the years gives me his mismatches and castoffs :) I have half a set of shipped up old spode which if not chipped to high heaven would be worth quite a bit :) It's pretty and it is in such unique sizes too. I usually use it for dearving breads in the large plates and dips in the smaller ones.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  11:37:58 PM  Show Profile
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/clear-depression-glass-bread-butter-container-with-lid_W0QQitemZ7340883654QQcategoryZ29573QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this what you mean?

There is also another listing of three. In www.ebay.com.au and under depression glass. Not saying to buy them, but so you can find them again if you want to.

I didn't think they were called refrigerator dishes but the description on ebay gives alot of insights, I learnt something too, thanks.

Edited by - FloralSaucer on Aug 10 2005 11:40:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  05:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Jane
It says "Tack" on the bottom and it also says NKT Schmid.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  05:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Kim,
I don't have any with that marking (I was hoping I might have some to share), but I'll keep my eyes open when I'm out and about.

Jane

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action. ~Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  11:35:00 AM  Show Profile
FloralSaucer,
THe clear dish on the link that you shared is pretty much what some of my grandma's dishes looked like. Some were also colored. The glass wasn't colored, more like painted, however the colored ones did not have the ridges. I never thought of the clear one or colored glass ones being depression glass. Thanks for sharing that link, now I know what to look under when I want to find some. That's exactly what I was hoping to find out.

Have a blessed day.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  12:25:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I just found your chat room about old dishes. I collect dishes with birds on them and have found some beautiful old ones made by the company who created the Fiesta line. I like to hang mine on the wall as art but I've lost a few when my husband bumped into the wall! Some people say he's clumsy....I agree! Anywho, here's a great site to check out for using broken dishes and making jewelry with the pieces...and it's very simple to do, too. Hope you enjoy: http://diynetwork.com/diy/cr_jewelry/article/0,2025,DIY_13762_3972079,00.html

"Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light." Roethke
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  6:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Glad I could help Lynda.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Both my grandma and mom called the rectangle bowls 'refrigerator bowls.' I have several of them in various stages, from different periods, clear glass, painted in primary colors, browns from the 70's, etc. I use them in my craft room and in my kitchen. There has been somewhat of a revival of them. Martha Stewart has her own line with plastic lids. This is much more convenient for eveyday use. I also got some reproductions in two different sizes at Big Lots a couple of years ago. They even had vintage looking labels on them. They sit in my craft room with the labels still in tact. My kitchen is over loaded with treasures, so there is no room for them in there.
Anyhow, they are still out there..I see them all the time at yard sales. Some have the lids and some don't, but I even see the lids without the container at times, as I did this last weekend. In fact I saw a lid and was going to buy it but got distracted by something else and forgot. Silly me.
So keep looking for them Lynda...especially if you are trying to recreate your grandmas kitchen. A better reason I cannot think of! (BTW my oldest daughter lives about 2 hours from St. Louis) I love to visit there. We will probably go again in October.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  09:20:37 AM  Show Profile
page 11 .. finally found the 'olde dishes' postings! i don't really have any olde dishes from my own family ... but i have collected them for 25 years now and have such a wonderful collection of them. and i USED them all those 25 years too ... attaching memories to them. started by having tea parties with our two little daughters .. and used them at tea parties and for gatherings (especially of women friends .. as most of my older ones are very fragile and feminine). i especially love olde china cups and saucers. when our oldest daughter was little, we started going to 'flea markets' and 'yard sales' .. she decided to collect 'vintage dessert plates' .. and she collected so many .. the pile was "taller" than she was when she finally stopped growing at age 16 or 17. she started 'gifting' them to friends and family members .. keeping many for herself too, of course!

kristen would find these from anywhere between a nickel and a dollar .. and most often, people just gave them to her because she was so cute and enthusiastic about them!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic old dishes Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page