Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic old dishes Next Topic
Page: of 3

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2004 :  11:35:05 AM  Show Profile
Jenny -- I see that at the Thrift all the time ! Most pieces are under $3.00. Want me to keep my eyes peeled for any special pieces?
I'd be happy to send it your way, nice to know there are other crazy dish people like me! And I definitely know what you mean about cold turkey...the Tonquin did it to me!!! bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  12:00:46 AM  Show Profile
The hardest things for me to find with no chips are the cereal bowls..picture of wooden cradle inside...and the cream soup bowls..picture of beer stein inside..some have little handles on side some don't. I have a zillion dinner plates (seriously..like 35!) and alot of the little side plates with spinning wheel on them. We use those alot. I only have 6 of the bread and butter size plate (or maybe they are luncheon plates..who knows?) with the settle bench and grandfather clock on them.
I have a whole stack of those colorful aluminum tumblers you mentioned. And a pitcher too..we never use them..but they sure look nice on the shelf. I remember drinking ice cold milk at my grandma's house in some like them when I was little. I am picky and like to drink from glass. (The kids get tupperware since I like my glasses alot.)
I have always had a thing for dishes. I have some jadeite fire king stuff too..used to have alot more..sold alot of it on ebay to buy more colonial homestead!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  04:09:50 AM  Show Profile
My sister in law went to a conference in London and when she came back she told me to expect a package. She had found my dishes in a shop there and they gave her the whole history of the pottery (in Staffordshire)& everything! Even though the dishes were exported, they are still common over there. Location is everything sometimes!
Eileen-- I don't think I have ever seen your progression dishes but if I do I will snap them up for you ! As for your french fry cutters... are they like a mandoline? My Gram had your aluminum tumblers and we all had to pick a color and that was our glass for the day! We use glasses I found at the Thrift that have a footed base and are "quilted" upper. I think they might have been a "fancy" jelly glass but I'm not sure. If you look very closely in "My Dog Skip" they used the same glasses! My son was in about 2nd or 3rd grade and we went to the movie with about 6 other people and in a very loud voice he says "Hey Mom they've got our glasses!" I'm not sure I would have caught that but he was right! Love that kitchen stuff! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  10:00:06 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,
The french frie cutters look more like what you get today to mount on the garage wall to smash aluminum pop cans except the flat part is divided into squares and cuts potatoes instead of smashing.
I could post a photo of the dishes. They are white with a delft blue pattern all around.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  1:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girlfriends!
I have posted a couple photos of the progression china and the potatoe french fry cutters.
You can view the album at:
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=eileenspics&password=85992472
The digital photo is so much fun! I found that when I took down the potatoe slicers to get a photo I still had the .25 cent sticker on one of them from the yard sale when I bought it.
On the china pattern, I have a complete service for 12 and we used it everyday for 20 years. All we ever broke is the cereal and soup bowls as well as the 2 serving bowls I had. Those are the only pieces I want to replace to fill in the set. I suppose that bowls would be the hardest to find but I have never even found a cup and saucer at a thrift store.
Eileen

songbird
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2004 :  2:06:40 PM  Show Profile
Eileen--- Thanks for the pictures! I have NEVER seen those crazy french fry cutters but they sure look fun! Maybe as soon as french fries were available in the market east coast grandmothers gave those contraptions the heave ho! I will look for your bowls and let you know if I spy a surplus of anything else. The thrill is in the hunt!
Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  09:55:25 AM  Show Profile
Recently I've had a longing for things of my childhood, namely the silverware and dishes that we used daily. Mom has a couple of the dishes remaining so that I could find the name and pattern, and the same with the silverware.
I've been searching Ebay and have found that both are now collectibles! Mom finds this astonishing as the silverware - Tudor Oneida Community Plate, and the dishes - Green Briar Blue Ridge Southern Pottery were "cheap" in the 50's. The silverware she got with coupons from Betty Crocker, and the dishes were mail order from Montgomery Ward! There must be others like me out there that feel the same. I do intend to use them when I get a sufficient collection; however. Not collecting just to be collecting.
Do any of you feel this same pull? Maybe it's the duration of the winter that has me mulling these things over....

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jan 24 2005 09:56:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  11:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Clare - Yes I think many of us feel the same pull. And I believe winter sometimes lets us focus on the cozy things that we remember from our youth - like the china we ate from and the visuals of our childhood home.

It is so good that you "use" your collectibles, because that is what wonderful things are maeant to do - be used and enjoyed and loved each day. Not collect dust!

My daughter, when she was 2, was given the then kind of weird Christmas gift of a set of plastic dishes with a smiley face on them. They were all, of course, bright yellow. Do you know, my granddaughter now eats from them, because my daughter loved them so much growing up. Go figure.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

FarmChickSerena
Farm Chick

45 Posts

Serena
WA
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  12:46:44 PM  Show Profile
I love old dishes. For the past few years I've been collecting old cafe-ware, the plain white variety, really thick and practical. I love the simplicity of the pieces, sort of like ironstone, but SO much cheaper! This weekend I found a huge amount of it (Buffalo China) at my favorite local thrift shop. Each piece was .05 cents! I filled in all of the pieces I needed to complete my set of 18, and left a huge amount for the next lucky junker. I left with two pairs of retro jeans for my teeny-bopper son and lots of new dishes, spending less than $4, because when I got to the cashier, I was told the jeans were half off. Okay, now that's my version of junk heaven!
Serena
www.thefarmchicks.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  2:13:33 PM  Show Profile
I too lurk through the trift stores, antique shops and e-bay. I have my mother's whire ironstone and have been pretty successful finding pieces on e-bay. It's from the 50's-60's. I use a majority of my stuff though some of mu granmothers pieces are just for show. It makes me feel good

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2005 :  05:52:07 AM  Show Profile
My husband had an entire set of the old tin cowboy and branding irons dishes from the 50's his mother gave him. He used them as a child then took them with him when he went to college. Obviously they were not practical because of the microwave... After college he took them back to his parents farm and stored them in the barn. Ten years later he went to look for them and they had "disappeared". I read where these were collectible.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  03:01:43 AM  Show Profile
I bought from ebay some of my Nana's plates etc. I was delighted that that set had a large bowl that can be used for pasta. Actually I found those first at an op-shop or goodwill. It is plain, a Johnson (sp?) Australia set. Johnson seems very serviceable. I used to like running a knife around the edge to hear the sound when I was little. Nana had the bread and butter plates in pink and blue too. I now have more than she had but that is because there are 7 of us here.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  11:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Dishes I like, but serving bowls are what I am addicted to collecting. Not sure why. They do not have to be vintage either, but have to have a vintage look to fit in my kitchen. I had one of those Home America home parties back in May..boy did I go crazy over those bowls and spent a ton of money on them. The nice things is that they are microwave, dishwasher and oven safe. So I can actually use them where I cannot always use the old ones because of the lead content in them.
I used to be able to find old crockery bowls at yard sale for a good price, but they have gotten harder to find this way or people want alot of money for them.
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice scream!"
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  11:08:02 PM  Show Profile
Which ones have lead in them?
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  08:43:51 AM  Show Profile
I have a bunch of polish pottery that I love but I also have some older transferware dishes that we use, no one pattern they are mix and match -- red and blue.

Then we have teacups we've collected. One of my favorites is shamrocks and the cup is footed.

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

kellygirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kelly
Chicago IL
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  10:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Send kellygirl an AOL message  Send kellygirl a Yahoo! Message
I love old dishes too. I have alot of old meat platters with floral designs hanging up in my house. I also collect old plates with fruit on them for my kitchen. In my bathroom I am using a green depression glass sugar bowl for holding cotton balls and the creamer for holding q-tips. I love using old stuff in new ways. Any other ways anyone uses old dishes?

To Thine Ownself Be True
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  08:59:41 AM  Show Profile
i collect the dishes my grandma used on the farm. they are a Universal Cambridge dish called "largo". they look a little bit like jewel T but have a more orange flower-it looks a lot like bittersweet around the rims.

we started about 5 yrs. ago when i was in a antique shop and found a big platter for $4.00. and off we went. i now have enough plates and salad plates for 12 along with various serving pieces.

always looking for more. my best buy was yesterday. out with my husband in a flea market we hadn't been in before and found 8 dinner plates for $10 so now have a wealth of plates!!

it brings me such joy to set my table with these dishes-so many memories of simple peace at my grandma's table with all of us there.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  10:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Floralsaucer,

I do not know which bowls are made with lead in them. I guess I should do some research and find out. I am just careful what I put in the vintage bowls. I do not worry about things like popcorn or chips. But who knows? Anything in them could be unhealthy. I will see what I can find out about the lead. If I can find anything out, I'll post what I learn.

I found two more old bowls this past weekend at a yard sale. They were part of a set, one an ironstone color, the other sage green. God blesses me with such fun finds!

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  07:20:09 AM  Show Profile
I have all my granny's china (Violet China ~ Golden Wheat Pattern). Growing up, we would always spend Thanksgiving and Christmas at her house, and out would come that china, so I continue the tradition now that I have all her pieces :). I even had found a long time ago a huge platter in the pattern at a thrift store for $0.75!!! It has since broken :(. I've bought some vegetable dishes off ebay as well. I also have just a few pieces of my other grandma's china, (Nasco Nocturne)...those pieces are very hard to find...my favorite china pattern of all time is Old Country Roses by Royal Daulton...I have a 20 pc set, but never bring it out, I should now and then I guess :).

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Tatiana
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Tania
Boise ID
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  07:31:43 AM  Show Profile
I love old dishes and love to look for them at estate sales. I saw a very cute idea for those of us with too many dishes. It was a garden border where the "planted the dishes so that 1/2 to 3/4 of the dish was sticking out. It was just delightful, but I am still trying to talk my Husband into it. Just think of all of those flowers on the dishes that you won't have to replant every year .

Happy collecting,

Tania
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  08:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Cute idea, Tania!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  08:58:39 AM  Show Profile
I saw a border like that once and it WAS adorable..I had forgotten..thanks for the reminder!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  10:03:19 AM  Show Profile
Holly are your "polish" dishes the navy blue/cream ones with the circles and squiggles and pine tree patterns? We have that up at camp and I bought it in a box lot about 14 years ago for 10.00! I didn't know what it was, just thought it looked like it would withstand the cabin and us! Someone told me they sell it on QVC now!I love it and have picked some up at Marshall's/TJ Maxx but it doesn't seem as plentiful and also abit pricy now.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  10:30:15 AM  Show Profile
Dishes are a favorite of mine, too. Actually, collecting them is something my daughter and I love to do together. It's the first area we hit when we go to second hand stores, yard sales or even the department stores. We do have a fondness for the old dishes though more than the newer ones.

My husband and I for our 5th anniversary went to Arcola & Arthur,IL to the Amish country. We were secretly hoping to be adopted - my husband even wore his overalls and he sports a very healthy beard - but to our dismay that did not happen - anyway, we stay at a bed and breakfast that just made my heart melt. The owner had two very large cupboard with glass doors just stocked full of sets of dishes. BEAUTIFUL dishes! And each morning the table was set to the hilt with a different matching set. I was in heaven, my husband was scared, probably more nervous than anything. It is my dream to have several sets of dishes to pull from as I like to serve our meals on or for special occassions. Of course, my kids make fun of me, because they think I have more than enough now, but I have 3 boys, too, so that explains alot. :o)

The one kind of dish that I would like to find more of are the kind of glass containers that my grandmother had. She called them refrigerator dishes. I don't know if that is the right term or not. The were rectangular or square, had a clear glass lid and the container part was ribbed, if I remember correctly. And they came in various colors. Does anyone know what I am describing? And if that is the correct name or do they go by something else that I would know what to look for? I would love to have some, I loved Grandma Sarah and going to her house, it would be so nice to have some of the things like she had. There weren't any of them left when she passed away. I think as I get older I find myself missing her even more for some reason and I'm realizing more and more all the memories that come from spending summers with her and Grandpa. So much more than I ever realize, but oh, I am so thankful God made her my grandma and that she had such an infuence on my life.

I kind of took a little diversion there from dishes, but I think of her always when I look for dishes. She's the one who also had the aluminum colored cups - we LOVED them as kids - I don't know why - they were different than what we had at home and we could use them at grandmas. Maybe it's because I am a grandma now and I think of the things that my grandparents did that made me love them so much and I want to duplicate that to my grandchildren in my own way, but still carry on the old ways.

Anyway, I must, must get back to work, but I will be anxious to see what you all know about my grandma's refrigertor dishes. Thanks so much. Have a wonderful day of blessings, enjoy them all - big and small.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2005 :  1:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Lynda -- my grandma had those glass refrigerator dishes too! They are still out there but hard to find with the lids intact. Aunt Jenny is doing a drawing for a set of aluminum cups for just the cost of postage -- about $5. See her post under the Kitchen Forum titled A Freebie.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic old dishes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page