Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help My Chives Next Topic  

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  5:33:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
I "thought" chives were one of the easiest herbs to grow. Well, not for this girl! I started with a huge plant and little by little shoots died. I think it is now a total of 5 shoots and I have yet to cut any! It is growing indoors now because the heat and lack of rain. It is located in a fairly sunny room and I water once a week. Any ideas or suggestions?

~Nicole
www.thelazydeaux.com

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  5:38:06 PM  Show Profile
I'm having a similar problem... which is so weird because my actual onions are doing well.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  11:59:20 PM  Show Profile
Chives tend to die back towards fall and will come back up in the spring.I would not think they would do well indoors. Often if you keep the flowers cut off they will last a little longer.

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  07:55:24 AM  Show Profile
What I would do...and this is hard...is cut them back..just cut with a scissors like giving a haircut..really short..and then put them in a sunny window and water maybe a little more often..and you may get another "crop" this year..but they do better outside for sure..and they do die back..so you may have to wait. They will grow back ..it is just hard to wait!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  08:07:26 AM  Show Profile
They might be pot bound if you've had them all season. Chives are definitely perrenial in your area so I would try putting them in the ground now before it gets too much later. Take them out of the pot and check to see if the roots need to be "teased" ( loosened up a little) and then transplant and water them in well.Cutting them back won't hurt either but make sure you leave atleast some green showing(about an inch).

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2005 :  4:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
I potted them so I could move them to our new farm. Right now we are renting so I cannot plant them. I'll try cutting them back. I've had sucess growing them indoors before but not this plant. Thanks for your advice.

~Nicole
www.thelazydeaux.com
http://farmgirlsoflouisiana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  3:41:06 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't get my chive seeds to sprout this year. I wonder if I could be still do it, if theres time enough it doesn't get cold here for quite a while.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:17:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking that you live where you might be able to harvest them year round, even in the winter, if they are outside. I tried inside and they also got quite spindly. Chives are the first thing up in my garden, and I get them with snow still on the ground and they spread readily, so I always have some to divide and share. Mine thrive on neglect! That being said, our soil is sandy loam and quite acidic.

Jana
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Help My Chives Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page