lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  08:19:12 AM  Show Profile
Finally not a farmgirl in training anymore!!

I am an avid reader also and wondering if you guys ever started the book club y'all were chatting about last fall, if so I would LOVE to join, I read at least two a week, more in the winter lol

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  6:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Arlene! I'm true blue now too!!
Two books a week! WOW! i'm impressed! Keep letting us know the ones that move you.

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  8:06:09 PM  Show Profile
I REALLY liked The 5 People You Meet in Heaven!!! Very short but life altering!!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  06:54:50 AM  Show Profile
I think a book club/book review would be good. I am also an avid reader. My favorite authors are - Jonathan Kellerman, Alice Hoffman, Anne Tyler. I am always open to other authors too. I just finished "The Ice Queen" by Alice Hoffman and am about to purchase another one of her books coming out in September.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile

Good Morning Farmgirls!!
Please sign-up on the Mail List for the book club!! MaryJane is an avid reader and is thrilled that you all are, too.
Go to the Home page, click on Connect with other Farmgirls, then click on the Mail List "bubble" by the picture of the adorable little farmgirl. You will find all the mailing lists available along with descriptions.
Have any of you read "The Chalice and the Blade" by Riane Eisler? She is a feminine anthropologist. She offers a very interesting viewpoint about how our society has developed.
My other all time favorites are by Diana Gabaldon. Her Outlander series is a wonderful cross of Scottish history and time travel. A very fun read.
Well, I'm back to "work" chickadees. Have a great day!
sunnily yours,
Cindylou

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Canadian Cowgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Tova
Grafton Ontario
Canada
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  12:59:00 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to join too! I'll sign up on the mail list. There is a great Canadian author named Miram Toews and I think many of you would like her books. She is from a mennonite community in Manitoba and her books are semi-autobiographical. The most famous is A Complicated Kindness and I would highly recommend it.
Tova
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  4:15:51 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

Tova Thanks for the suggestion--sounds really interesting.
Anybody else interested in reading this author? Cindy Lou I like your ideas also.

Where do we go from here. I read about 1-3 books per weeks.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  4:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Let's take a TIME OUT, girls, and hang loose until further instructions arrive from the farm on the protocol of the list keeping... everyone take a deep breath. Thank you.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  11:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Here's a time out for ya,,,take me off your lists,,,,all of them

I was Country before Country was COOL!!!!
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16441 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16441 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2005 :  07:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Lareyna,
Since it was your post August 25 that suggested we start a book club, can you give us more specifics for what you had in mind before you sign off? There are several other women signed up for the book club (the mail list sign-ups are coming to my computer for now), so within the week we'll be getting the mail lists all spelled out/ready to roll. We're close, but not ready yet. (Ugh, computer software. You should see what we go through here keeping everything running as smoothly as possible!!! I'm old enough to remember a time when all I did to communicate ideas was sharpen a pencil.) MJ
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  10:47:25 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Lareyna

I agree with Mary Jane; let's discuss this and see what we can come up with in the near future. Hoping that you will "come back".

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  11:19:27 AM  Show Profile
Why do we need a "LIST" for reading books lets just everybody make a list of the books they want to read, post it here, then maybe vote (on here) and I really think we are all adult enough to choose a book and then discuss it. It doesn't have to be complicated does it?

Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  12:48:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello girls.

Sounds like there's two ideas going on here: one is a "book club" discussion of a certain book; second is a "book exchange" where people want to pass around their books.

For the book discussions, I think you could easily organize that right here on the forum. But scrolling through pages and pages of postings is time consuming. The trick is for people to be able to find those discussions easily. A good way to do this would be to just make a new topic each time you're discussing a new book. If you are already on a topic, say, for the "Red Tent," and you also mention her newest book, you would then have to start a new topic for that book. You can refer to it in the Red Tent topic, and could even make a link to that new topic.

But for the book exchange, you'll need a list, and one that's managed here at the farm is both easiest for you all and the most secure. Like our treasured moderator Clare said, please hang tight. (Clare spends hours on our forum out of the goodness of her heart trying to keep us all organized.) If you've sent us an e-mail about being on a certain list, rest assured we've stashed your name away for our just-around-the-corner grand opening of grander things. We're working away here. Soon!!!!!

We've been discussing books here on the forum for quite some time, and we have some ideas for how to grow into the future. We could have one place called a Book Club or Book Room where the books and the reviews are in a centralized, alphabetized place with a search function. Then, when you think, "Now where was that one book someone talked about having to do with that one guy who dances in western movies?" you could find it with some keywords or author name or title. That takes new computer software and a bit of time to set up. But it's a cool idea and other websites do some innovative things with Book Clubs. Given the number of book postings in the past in this section I think we're ready for the next step soon. I, for one, love the complicated way this forum works but given the volume of participants, we're thinking we're ready for the next level of forum software. I'm on other "forums" where it's still just a simple e-mail that goes out to everyone on the list. That gets confusing and out-of-hand quickly. So, it isn't a function of being adult. I wish it were that simple 'cause us farmgirls got that one DOWN to a T!!!!

Carol
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  1:06:33 PM  Show Profile
I agree with what Carol is saying.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  1:36:08 PM  Show Profile
Well said Carol!! Now..on with the reading!!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  2:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Carol
If you ever get to the point where you can do a live chat -- say, for a couple of hours every evening -- it would be fun to schedule some book discussions to take place live. I used to work at a bookstore and I know that there are tons of great authors who would be willing to participate in discussions of their work in this way. We could schedule a book as, for example, the November 2005 book, start a thread on the board for it with people posting about it all month, and then schedule a live chat on November 28 from 9-10pm EST, 6-7pm PST with the author.
Is there a possibility of live chat being offered on the site?
Would anyone be interested in such an idea?
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  5:47:13 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

I think that I like Arlene's idea the best in that we could submit some titles and vote to see which one we would read. We could then set a date to begin the discussion.

The live author chats would also be great, and I am very interested. However, I would think that someone at the Farm should set this up.

Thanks much for everyone's suggestions.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  6:15:17 PM  Show Profile
That's great Connie, what do you want to read this fall? I need to investigate, maybe tour Barnes and Noble tomorrow, see what's new. Can't think of anything right now, anybody got anything good on their list??

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  9:35:42 PM  Show Profile
What about the new book that someone mentioned called "A Sudden Country" by Karen fisher? I plan to get that one soon. Sure sounds good. I think there is a thread about it posted by I think Clare that tells alot about it..

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  1:39:47 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Any title is fine with me. I am a librarian, and I can usually find any title(s) that I need quite easily.

Should we set the date to select and start reading as Sept 15; one week from today?

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  11:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Sudden Country sounds good to me,anybody else interested??Or have any other ideas?

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  3:41:59 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Sudden Country sounds great to me, too.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  6:37:29 PM  Show Profile
Sudden Country sounds good to me too.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  7:10:09 PM  Show Profile
I am all for it!! Was going to get it on Tuesday when I go up north..now I have an excuse!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  11:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I'd like to join in too if I could! I have requested it from my library...hopefully, I'll get it soon!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  02:04:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh Goodness !!!!! I have found some soul readers...I am signing in on the book club. I love to read, have been a reader since teenage years...Carol, thanks for organizing us . You have mentioned writers that I love and some new ones I have not read, but will.

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Book Club? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page