Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Farm Fiction & Memoir Next Topic  

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  5:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Some of my favorite reads are farm novels. I'm a HUGE fan of Wendell Berry's, especially A PLACE ON EARTH and JAYBER CROW. Have twice read the 1933 bestseller THE EARTH TURNS by Gladys Hasty Carroll, (sounds like this is right up your alley, Aunt Jenny).

As for memoir, Ronald Jager's EIGHTY ACRES: ELEGY FOR A FAMILY FARM is a must read for Midwesterners, as is THE COUNTRY KITCHEN a critical and popular hit of 1936 by Della Lutes. Also enjoyed William Paul Winchester's A VERY SMALL FARM (even if he is a little too self-congratulatory) and any thing by FIRST PERSON RURAL author Noel Perrin. Those of you with a paperback copy of JeanMarie Laskas' FIFTY ACRES AND A POODLE will actually see a quote from me on the inside cover. I adored this tale of a big-city writer who trades concrete for compost.

As for how-to and politics, you can't beat the wonderfully opinionated Gene Lodgeson, and Wendell Berry is pretty swift as well -- even if I can't buy his argument for gov't subsidies of tobacco farming.

Anyone else have titles to contribute to the genre? Since I left my bookstore job in Pasadena I've been hungry for recommendations.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  9:39:36 PM  Show Profile
Okay...sounds like another one for my "must read this summer" list!! I put THE EARTH TURNS right on it! Thanks lurban!!
I really like Gene Lodgeson too. And have read some Noel Perrin too...good stuff!
It must have been so fun to work at a book store!! I know I would never be able to collect a paycheck though..would end up owing THEM money...same with a yarn shop, fabric store or gardne center..oh well.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

corswnw
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Claudia
Kansas City Missouri
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  09:45:49 AM  Show Profile
I am almost 3/4 of the way through Hannah Coulter and loving it. (Wendell Berry). I enjoy the story and also the commentary he sneaks in about the demise of the family farm. Very important stuff! Thanks for your suggestions to all. I have the list written down and will try The Earth Turns next. I can't get my hands on enough "country' reading. I'm holding my breath and sometimes very unhappy that I can't get to the country soon enough (I'll finish grad school May 2006--God help me.)
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  12:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Claudia
I finished Hannah Coulter a week ago and really enjoyed it as well. It doesn't pack the same emotional punch for me that the novels I mentioned above do, but I'm always game for a story from the Membership. The Earth Turns may be tough to find, and it is a little schmaltzy, but I sure did enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  9:59:21 PM  Show Profile
I love to hear what everyone is reading. I get stuck in a rut with the same authors so this helps me branch out to read new things. I got on the library website and ordered most of the books you all have recommended. That should keep me out of trouble for a while. Either that or I won't get any work done!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  09:19:33 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls

I just finished presenting a storytime on the Town Square in our little town. Every Friday morning at 9:30a.m. we gather in the pavillion that is known as the Tabernacle (nobody remembers why it is called this.) and read stories. Today we read "Is Your Mama a Llama" by Steven Kellogg. Those of you who have children might know this book. I always have the kids help me act out the story, and we have lots of fun. Everyone takes a bow, gets applause etc. Wish that the Farm Girls lived closer so that you could attend and join in the fun.
I guess that my reading suggestion for the day focuses on preschoolers.

However, I wanted to thank "lurban" for providing this "country reading list". Even though I am a librarian, I am not familiar with any of these titles. Of course, since I have mainly been employed in large urban libraries, I am not surprised that I do not know about them.
I too, have a huge thirst for all books that are country.

Thanks again.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  09:29:10 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

It's me again on the topic of children's reading. As most of you know, the new Harry Potter book will be released at midnight tonight. I am going to be a chaperone at the children's party that the Fort Worth Library is having tonight--starts at 11:30pm and ends at 1 am. The books will be handed out at midnight on the dot! After the party, another librarian and I are in charge of delivering some of the books to branch libraries so that the children will have them the minute the branches open in the morning. I guess that we will be the 2am Harry Potter Bookmobile!

I do not read the books; never have really liked the fantasy genre, but it is nice to see kids flocking into the libraries!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  10:47:55 AM  Show Profile
Connie, You have my dream job! Lurban, Thanks for the wonderful titles, I love those kind of books, Willa Cather is one of my favorites along this line... I am ordering them at my library!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  11:34:07 AM  Show Profile
Connie-- You sound like a fun librarian! We helped a librarian friend do Harry Potter night at her branch back with the last book. As Mrs. Weasley I had the kids yanking gnomes from my garden and when they were done I chased them around the library with my tape measure telling them I had to check their sizes for "lovely red sweaters' and they would all laugh and giggle and say please Mrs. Weasley...not the sweaters. We had Madame Hootch practicing Quidditch (brooms and ballons and refreshments at the Leaky Cauldron of Butter beer ( cream soda) and chocolate frogs. Some dear soul actually found a frog candy mold and made tons! The best part of the evening was Hagrid, Professor McGonigal and Professor Dumbledore divided the kids into the different "houses" and they played trivia games and the house that scored the most won wizard cards w/ a goody attached.Hope you have as much fun as we did!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  1:38:02 PM  Show Profile
You don't have to give this former bookseller much encouragement before you find a new list of favorite reads appearing.

The Age of Homespun by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
This is a wonderful history of everyday objects by the author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning history A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard Based on Her Diary, 1795-182. Each of the chapters in The Age of Homespun is dedicated to a different homemade object: a painted cupboard, a linen tablecloth, a woven counterpane, an unfinished stocking. Ulrich offers the cultural context for the object, some history of its maker and method of its production. She's really wonderful at putting you in the room as a group of women gather to spin flax or an Algonkian weaves a basket. Well researched, but not too academic. Also check out Ulrich's Good Wives: Image and Reality in the Lives of Women in Northern New England 1650-1750.

Louise Dickinson Rich's We Took to the Woods (1942) is a charming autobiography of Rich's move to the most remote Maine woods. Self-sufficiency, yes, but also an interdependence with others who have chosen such a life -- including lumberjacks and hermit-handymen.

This one is very academic, but I liked it nonetheless: David Shi's The Simple Life is a history of American social movements espousing a philosophy of plain living. Shi moves from Puritans and Quakers through the Transendentalists to the Depression to more contemporary anxiety about excess. Unfortunately, this book was written in 1985 and does not include a discussion of current simplicity movements. A very interesting read, but not one to pick up just before bed -- unless you're one of those insomniacs who posted elsewhere. This book just might do the trick.

If you are going for a lighter read, try any of Carrie Young's prairie memoirs: Nothing to Do But Stay, The Wedding Dress, and Prairie Cooks (more a recipe collection, but accented by stories). Young's childhood reminiscences of her family farm in North Dakota are delightful and a must for farmgirls of Norwegian descent and lovers of lutefisk (if there are, indeed, such people).

Elinore Pruitt Stewart's Letters of a Woman Homesteader is another prairie staple. Stewart landed in the Wyoming where the land was tough, but somehow she kept her tender side.

Is that enough for now?

Don't encourage me. I'll bust into bibliography mode.

Edited by - lurban on Jul 15 2005 2:16:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  10:43:21 AM  Show Profile
I had to print this page, so I can go the the library and check out these books!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  10:44:40 AM  Show Profile
SO many books so little time!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  9:42:20 PM  Show Profile
I just finished a great book by Rosanne Daryl Thomas---Beeing: Life, Motherhood, and 180,000 Honeybees. She's a writer who moves to Maine and decides to become a beekeeper.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  08:05:16 AM  Show Profile
I love Laura Ingall Wilder. I once heard another writer called a "juvenile writer". The writer took exception to the description, and said he wrote books for a juvenile audience. This is what Laura books seem to me. When you read them to your children, between the lines you find a meaning for everyones life. She didn't just write the "Little House" books, for years she wrote for farm publications, and her articles are great. She is optimistic, and so hospitable. A true farmgirl.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  08:31:07 AM  Show Profile
I got to see a reproduction of her cabin, in Indepedence Kansas last weekend. It and the surrounding 2000 acres are owned by Bill Kurtis and his family. It was neat. I love her books.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2005 :  09:51:55 AM  Show Profile
Kim, I would love to see any of the places Laura lived. Her house and farm in the Ozarks looks so interesting. I have books about her life there. She was a remarkable woman. She reminds me of my grandmother, their outlook on life was the same. Grandma chose her life and made the best of it and never looked back. When her sisters-in-law were living in big houses, she was in a 2 room dogtrot cabin in the wilderness, raising kids and chasing cows. She wore Levi's and rode astride decades before it became acceptable to do so. Like Laura she worked hard to put up enough food for her family, and sewed their clothing, and kept everything going. I just wish she had had Laura writing skills.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2005 :  9:23:20 PM  Show Profile
I popped into our library on Friday just to browse around and a book in the new arrivals caught my eye. I debated on getting it and I am so glad I did. It is called "Beeing" by Rosanne Daryl Thomas. On the cover it says, " Life, Motherhood, and 180,000 Honeybees." I was intrigued and it made a great read for a rainy stormy weekend. It's basically about a single mother being led in one way or another to become a beekeeper and uses land on someone elses farm to do so. I think that all of us who have ventured into new tasks on or off the farm can relate to the feelings, emotions and mishaps that she encounters. I laughed, cried and chuckled to myself and was intrigued enough that I finished it in two days. Anyway, I would definately recommend it if you are wanting a fun lighthearted book!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2005 :  08:04:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for this recommendation - it sounds great! One of my future aspirations is beekeeping!
Go to Top of Page

mountainmama
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lissa
Georgia
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile
KJD! Ever since I've become a "farmgirl", I'lve learned so many new things about you! Isn't that funny! We talk all the time, and this just adds yet another dimension to you! Love it.

Lissa
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2005 :  1:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Lissa - I like to maintain an "air of mystery"!!
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Farm Fiction & Memoir Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page