Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  08:24:51 AM  Show Profile
Is anyone else askeered that the dust in their house will eventually band together and overtake them?

Ugh. When you clean house and the sheer amount of dust gives you a headache, then maybe it's time to clean more often!!

Of course, I could probably dust more often if I didn't have to take the time to unclutter first.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  08:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
We have lot's of dust. We have old cast iron radiator heating in our newly built house and still ton's of dust. I have a hard time figuring it out as there is no forced air or duct work to harbor the dust. Only a cat for animals in the house and still lots of dust. Maybe it's because of no carpet to hold on to it. Oh well dust unite I am ready with my dust buster and cloth!!!!!

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I am highly allergic to dust, so I don't have a lot of flat surfaces or chotsky's about. It does help cut down. My books are on a shelf but with doors, to keep the dust out. I look forward to a house with carpet, it really gives me a hard time and I have to vaccuum twice a week just to keep the dust and dander down!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  11:52:54 AM  Show Profile
We don't have any carpet either. I guess with so many little children running around and my big child coming in and out of the fields all day long, I don't stand a chance against the dust and dirt.

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  12:40:26 PM  Show Profile
we ripped all the carpet out of our house. It really helped alot.I also use a dyson vacuum cleaner and wow does it remove lots of dust.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  4:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Carpet traps and amazing amount of dust, so if you are allergic to dust, you are better off with non carpeted floors. If you have front door rugs that people do a good job of wiping their feet on it can capture as much as 75% of the out door dust before it even enters your house!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Please come visit Nora and I our our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  03:47:43 AM  Show Profile
I have to use a dust mask too figured this out after getting migraines

my best sweeper to date is a canister type w/ all the attachments including one for hard wood it can go anywhere this was a gift from hubby 3 years ago-per my request! Any other husband might have gotten slapped for such a gift

We have hardwood but we also live on a dead end dirt road-oh, and we have an inside long haired dog too funny how the hair tumbleweeds show up out of nowhere!

Would LOOOVE to open windows on cool nights and dry clothes outside

Don't ever look at the floors or appliances in mid afternoon sunbeams-even after you think you have cleaned!

And when you live in the country w/ no concrete sidewalks and pavement, I can sweep three or more times a day and still pick up all kinds of stuff we leave our shoes at the door

such is the price for our little slice of heaven
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2008 :  4:37:02 PM  Show Profile
Did you know that 80% of dust is skin? I read this several years ago. Found this website too & they have ways to decrease dust in our lives.
http://www.ehso.com/ehshome/dustmites.php

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  03:35:40 AM  Show Profile
One more reason to keep the house a little on the chilly side

We so desperatley need a dehumidifier too
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2008 :  07:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Using a liquid such as murphy's oil soap in water as a cleaner instead of furniture polish or whatever helps. That way it doesn't just get fluffed back into the air. I used to have to take allergy medicine before I dusted. Also, if you have forced air heating/cooling, it's good to have your duct system cleaned every couple of years.

Blessings....
Sarah

www.mustangsuzie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2008 :  8:37:02 PM  Show Profile
With 4 dogs who live for dirt, and 3 cats, we have a lot of dust. I usually dust every other night (quickly) with a microfibre cloth, and then really well on Saturday, doing windows and frames etc...then, there are just some things I don't worry about, like baseboards and what have you, until I know someone's coming over and THEY might look :)

We are getting rid of the one piece of carpet in the living room wheneve it warms up around here, so I'm anxious to see if that makes a difference...I doubt it when Rose, the german shepherd came in a few days ago, I thought, "gosh, he coat where she's "sable" is really pronounced tonight", but, turns out it was just dried mud that looked like pretty highlights :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dust Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page