Page: of 2

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  08:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh thank you, Linda! I had forgotton about Statue Maker! It all just came flooding back when I read your post. I can hardly wait to play that with my boys today! You've made my day!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  09:53:28 AM  Show Profile
Ya know - I've never heard of Statue Maker - share kiddos on what it is. :) I wanna play!!

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  12:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Jessica, Statue maker is a form of tag. One person is "It" and chases the others. When he touches someone that person has to stand exactly like he was when he was touched ... like a statue. He cannot move until another player touches him to release him from being a statue. Its loads of fun and so silly. Of course, we all exaggerated our pose and usually everyone ended up rolling in the grass laughing! What fun that was!

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  12:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Awww....we called that freeze tag here. I remember that a lot of the times with the frozen stance you about fell over. Bringing back ole memories!

Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  1:22:53 PM  Show Profile
I think half the fun of having a child is getting to play all the games we loved again!
Mine was kick ball, out in the street in front of our house (dead-end street, by the way). The sewer lid was always home base. I had forgotten that fact until right now. I still like to play CandyLand, although my daughter thinks she is too old for it now. Awwww Mom, not CandyLand....
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  1:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i love the memory about the bell. when i was a kid, our parents honked the horn in the truck to bring us home and we all knew which honk was for us.

another game we played...for lack of a better word to call it, was daredevil. we would take my redwagon (one word, yes) to the top of the hill and fly down the gravel road past our 1/2 acre lot at the bottom and nearly to the neighbors garden. it's amazing nobody ever got hurt with that game...sometimes there would be 4 kids in the wagon at one time.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  3:15:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
Interestingly enough, Statue maker was different for us from what Lea described. We'd get the biggest kid to swing us around in circles and let us lose. However we landed was the position we had to freeze in! Potentially dangerous at times as my older sister was famous for pounding the crap out of me and that girl could swing a kid sister FAR! LOL! The rest is pretty much the same as everyone else described. I don't think i ever played that with my daughter. At almost 19 I think we've passed the opportune time.
Chandra thanks for reminding me about Red Light/Green Light. How could I forget that one?

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  4:02:55 PM  Show Profile
Linder, we called that "swinging statues" I think I mentioned it in my first post...what fun!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2008 :  9:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh I got a giggle remember the red light green light game. I always had the case of the giggles when we played that game at recess. Back in 3rd grade or so, we got a brand new slide at my school. Granted, it was homemade and wasn't welded to good. It was sturdy and was very tall. Very first day of trying it out who gets hurt on the slide? Yours truly (yes kiddos, I was a dangerous kiddo and accident prone I think). We had to have a "lesson" from one of the teachers how to properly slide down this thing. Basically they said to keep your knees bent (why I have no clue). Well, I go down the slide and don't make it to the bottom and my foot gets stuck in between the flat part and the round part of the side. My foot is up there, rest of my body on the ground. They had to take my shoe off of me to get me loose and I had one big ole ankle as it started to swell up from the twisting. They still had the slide up until a few years ago from what I remember. I was too afraid to go on a slide after that.

One of my best friends and I use to have sleep overs while growing up. Our favorite thing to do was play with the Easy Bake Oven. Oh what joy it was to cook with that thing. It made pretty good cakes and we thought we were Betty Crocker. haha!

Edited by - kydeere40744 on Feb 01 2008 9:30:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Childhood Games Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page