kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile
What are some of your favorite childhood games? One of the games we would play would be "copycat". Basically you repeat what the person just said. Oh it use to annoy me so much when my brother would do that but I would always get him back.

I loved playing jump rope and singing the songs while jumping too.

What are your favorite?

~Jessica in Kentucky & Miss Wilma's Niece~
Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow...
http://bluegrassprincess.blogspot.com/

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  10:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Jessie I think that was one popalar game around home, and then hop scotch was good, funny how you never really forget the child hood games Especially copy cat I see a lot of people carry that with them even after they are grown

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  10:55:35 AM  Show Profile
My cousins used to lock Nancy Jo in the barn and I used to hope someone would find me before dinner. That was fun!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:00:17 AM  Show Profile
Fun for who? Tag was always fun and kick the can because then I could play with the boys. I loved to climb trees and still do. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow, childhood memories! We use to catch toads and who caught the most, wins! We would let them go and do it all over again! Poor toads.

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
Sisters on the Fly #595
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Pinto bean poker and making forts out of Dad's pallets and fruit crates.

Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:07:55 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Any made up game played outside- Hide and Seek, Hurdles (we used the bushes out front to leap over), swing (we threw a rope up over a bounce branch and would do tricks), hopscotch, jump rope, fort (we had forsythia trees we could live under), anything involving biking, hiking or swimming, playing with the pop up camper or camping equipment.

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:08:30 AM  Show Profile
Jacks, Hop Scotch, King of the Hill, double dutch and Swinging Statues!!!! Ooops, too much legal work, I almost typed "statutes"...

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:14:41 AM  Show Profile
Nancy jo that sounds like my brothers, I have three and no sisters,I used to beg my mama for a little sister I used to love to watch my oldest brother throw rocks at the electric lines and he could hit them to,and playing marbles was fun , One of our favorites was daddy always had us a billy goat to play with

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
the strangest game that we use to play what we called "the spice game" one person would sit in the bathroom while the others mixed up a bunch of spices and flavorings and the other had to put it in their mouth and tell what it was with out spitting it out or gagging...

other than that we liked to make up dyes and color mama's bedsheets and run wild on the prairie

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  11:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Telephone but I loved some sheep game shoot I forget the name. It's old my g-ma taught it to me. hmmmm

ps I just got the flood warning thing grrrr

**~~Farmgirl Sister #60~~**
"... to thine ownself be true."
http://liggygirl.blogspot.com/
http://liggygirlslonggreen.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  12:34:07 PM  Show Profile
We had one of those forsythias you could live under too!

We loved a game called Pieman. Anyone else play that?
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  12:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I love forsythia bushes and when we get settled, I am going to put some in!! They are so beautiful and add POP in a garden...
We would pretend we were woodland creatures and those were our houses. I used to bring my bike, cat, book and ice tea under there and pretend it was my little house- YES, it was that big!! I think that is where my love of camping and outdoors came from.I loved it!!!

Cheers,
Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  1:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Chinese jump-rope, jump-rope, jacks, Red-light/green-light, red rover, 4-square, pick-up sticks, War (card game), Gin-rummy...

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  3:24:59 PM  Show Profile
I forgot that on a cold winter night, we loved to work on one of those large puzzles that are 1000 pieces or more. We each had our own "territory" to finish.

Chandra...gosh you mentioned Red Rover and I so remembered that game!

We also played dodgeball and we use to play kickball in school until a certain girl (hmm...wonder who that could be??) broke her wrist because some boy kicked the ball and her wrist while she was picking it up. I also loved playing football, basketball, and baseball growing up and riding 4wheelers in the woods.

And then there are lincoln logs & playdough. I've been itching to buy some play dough to play with! haha

Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  3:55:14 PM  Show Profile
Hehe, this is great. Let's see, Tag, hide and seek, duck-duck-goose, Red Rover, Telephone, Hot Potato, Jacks, pick-up-sticks. Dodgeball, handball, double dutch...ack, I could go on and on!!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View my work:
www.bigtownfarmer.com

www.pumpkinpatchparlor.etsy.com

And Blogs:

www.bigtownfarmer.blogspot.com

www.queenofcrows.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  4:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Hopscotch, hide and seek, 'A my name is...', dodgeball and softball. I loved riding my bike and yes....I loved dolls, especially Barbie and all her cool clothes (I wish I still had her...don't know what happened :( ) We also had 'girls clubs' between our garages with all of our secret stuff and once in a while we would have a backyard circus. We just loved running and playing in general.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  5:14:39 PM  Show Profile
We played outside games during the summer like Hide-and-Seek and Flashlight Tag, which was totally awesome 'cause there was about 20 kids all the same age in my neighborhood. The games could go on for HOURS. I always liked Red Rover because I was the strongest girl in my class so I could always break through the line. I did not like Duck-Duck-Goose at all, because I was also the fattest girl in my class, and everyone could outrun me. I would be "it" FOREVER....
In the wintertime when we had to play inside, we played House and School. I was very bossy, so I was always the teacher.
Go to Top of Page

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  7:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Flashlight tag ... and watermelon spitting contests. Not very ladylike but I can spit a seed farther than anyone I know! LOL

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  7:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
"my foot is your foot"! My sis would die if she knew I was sharing this one. We had bunk beds as little girls. When we weren't sleepy, we would play this game. i had the top bunk, she the bottom. One of us would go first. Either she would stick her leg up to my "level" and her foot had to do whatever I told it to or I would hang my leg over and do the same.
"monster in the tub"- we only had a spring for water so we always took baths together. We'd stick the washrag in water and you had to avoid the monster!
"concert" - we would take out our transitter radio to the top of the chicken coop and have a concert for the animals singing to the music.

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by. ~anon
Go to Top of Page

kydeere40744
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

Jessica
Kentucky
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  8:15:52 PM  Show Profile
Now Lea if you said tobacco spitting contest, then we might have to have a talk. haha. We had watermelon seed spitting contests too in the summertime. My grandpa hauls watermelons still and I love going down there for a visit and cutting open a watermelon on a hot summer day. Oh I wish it was summertime now!!

Oh Judy I remember our little girl club in grade school. Can't remember the name of it, sad to say, but we had the secret colors, journal, and all kinds of goodies.

Something that I noticed with everyone's stories...not one post is a mention of some kind of video game inside. I've been teaching my nephews some games from our childhood. If only kids and teenagers could see the fun times outside of the home.

Go to Top of Page

Linder
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Linda
Lake Forest IL
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  8:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Linder a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Our favorites were "Stuck in the Mud" and "Statue Maker"! Oh my gosh we'd stay outside playing until it got dark and our Mothers would call us home. Each Mom in our neighborhood had a bell to call their kids home. So many bells with so many different rings to them and yet we each knew which one was ours.
What great memories this brings up! I loved playing those games with my friends.

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk to blossom
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  8:35:43 PM  Show Profile
Girls I think this has been one of the best bunch of post I have ever read, The memories are priceless,If you could see and play with Jessies little nephews and they are my great We get out and play hide and seek And even I guess I am an old woman I enjoy every min of it, what if more parents spent more time playing games with their children than sticking them in front of a tv

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  8:41:06 PM  Show Profile
i loved playing sardines at my grandmas, cats cradle, and statue maker was another good one.

so gonna use these in the spring

lavendar girl

Edited by - Lavendar fields dreamer on Jan 31 2008 8:45:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  8:47:16 PM  Show Profile
I have enjoyed all the posts to and it brings back such wonderful memories of being a child! Yes, playing until dark!!! I am sure we all slept good at night being tuckered out from playing so hard! The simple pleasures of growing up and just being kids....

Hugs, Maryjane Lee
Farmgirl Sister #44

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
Sisters on the Fly #595
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2008 :  9:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Yep, playing outside until dark...I also remember throwing myself down the hill like a bowling ball, rolling all the way down til I knocked my noggin a little loose. And THEN, as tired as I'd be, momma wouldn't let me into those cool sheets until I'D WASHED MY FEET!!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Childhood Games Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page