ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  7:00:49 PM  Show Profile
My mother was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 54. She had symptoms but her doctor brushed her off. Nobody else in our family had colon cancer. She was going through menopause so her body was doing odd things. It wasn't supposed to be anything to worry about. By the time she was correctly diagnosed it had metastasized to her liver. She was 56 when she died.

I am 41. I had symptoms. Denial doesn't cure anything. Symptoms don't miraculously go away. I saw my NP. She sent me to a surgeon. On Friday, August 12, I had a colonoscopy. It's painless. The only uncomfortable part of a colonoscopy is the laxative you have to drink twice the day before. I couldn't eat for 32 hours before the colonoscopy but by late Thursday afternoon I stopped being hungry. I slept through the colonoscopy thanks to a sedative. I was supposed to get something to make me feel good while I waited, then something to make me sleep. I don't think I got the feel good stuff. I remember someone telling me to roll over onto my left side and nothing else until someone said, "Wake up Robin. It's all over."

The surgeon met me in recovery with pictures in hand. I had five polyps. Three were small and nothing to be concerned about other than the fact that they were there. Two were large. I saw pictures of the two large polyps. Anyone would be able to see that one of them didn't look normal. Dr. Hayward explained everything to me. What sticks out most in my mind is "50% chance of cancer" and "good thing you came in now."

For the last 12 days I have cried, worried and prayed. I told a few people. What if I died? I wondered who my 12 year old daughter would turn to when she needed a mother figure. Who would my husband remarry? How was I going to get the house cleaned before I had surgery? Could I start the new semester next week? How was I going to get through this without it interfering with the best job I've ever had?

I got a preliminary report last Thursday that sounded ok. Not great, but ok. It put my mind at ease. I relaxed a little. I went back in to talk with Dr. Hayward today. I don't have cancer. If I'd waited until 50 like one doctor recommended I'd have died before I turned 50. I am now in the high risk category based on the kind of tumor he removed, my young age and my family history. I have to have another colonoscopy in a year. If that turns out ok, without new polyps, I can wait two years before the next one. I will never be able to wait more than three years.

We eat organic, whole, mostly unprocessed foods. I work hard. I am overweight but I am otherwise healthy. My cholesterol isn't high and my blood pressure was 123/60 a half hour before I went into the OR. Why me? If it can be me it can be you. My sister is 30. She'll be tested soon because our mother died of this, and I had a close call at age 41. You should be tested 10 years before the age a relative was diagnosed. My daughters will have to be tested when they turn 30. Please give this some thought. This painless procedure could make a difference in the length and quality of your life.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  7:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Robin - I am so glad for you that the news was good. Your writing on this subject is excellent and thought provoking and I thank you for sharing this with all of us.
jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

showmemom
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

karen
carthage mo
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile
hey robin-

thank you for sharing your story. if more people would not be shy about sharing their family histories, more people would realize the often silent danger of this disease.

i'm so happy that things turned out like they have.

again, thank you for opening your heart.

talk to you soon.
karen

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  7:48:44 PM  Show Profile
Very well stated, Robin. My, you have had an extra heavy load these last few weeks what with the college age daughter and all, haven't you? Big hug for your courage to meet life head on and say I refuse to be a victim. Knowledge is power.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  10:11:49 PM  Show Profile
Good on you Robin for sharing something that makes alot of people squirm. I too have gone through it for different reasons. Not fun but neccessary. SOmetimes we have to push ahead because we know our own bodies better than anyone else. Thanks!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  11:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Robin, I went thru the same exact thing this last fall,ugly pre- cancerous polyps removed, and I have NO history of colon cancer in my family what so ever. Sometimes there just is no rhyme or reason to these things.As my Dr. stated, a family history of ANYTHING always starts with a single person.

What, if anything did your Dr. reccommed about asprin?

Glad all is well with you, fellow farm girl.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  02:54:35 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I tried being a victim. I came home on Friday and went to bed. On Saturday morning I didn't shower, didn't do much of anything except sit here at the computer reading about colon cancer, and having a pity party. By 10 a.m. Saturday my husband decided this wasn't going to fly. He practically tossed me into the shower and dragged me out of the house. Before noon we were in the grocery store looking for high fiber foods other than fruits and vegetables. I stocked up on granola, yogurt and flax seed for breakfasts. By 3 p.m. I was back to myself. Worried, but not being a victim anymore.

Julia, you're so right. We know our bodies better than any doctor. When something is wrong we have to be firm. The doctor works for us. We are paying for this service. We are the ones in control.

Diane, he didn't say anything strongly in favor or against aspirin. It looks like it helps but more research is needed. If my stomach will tolerate it I can take it. Heart disease gets a baby aspirin. Colon cancer gets the stronger regular aspirin.

This is rather odd sounding but I'm eager to get in for the next scope. I want it to come back saying I'm clear and not think about this other than as a routine procedure. A pap smear is much worse than colonoscopy. You get to nap through a scope and I'm a big fan of naps.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  06:28:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad your procedure was painless for you and that things are looking up. My dad has a colonoscopy done regularly and last year I was there for dh when he had his first one. It wasn't painless for him but it's better than the alternative. Early detection is the key. His came back clear but he still has to go yearly for the procedure. His dad died of colon cancer at 54. Colonoscopies are pretty common around here. I've heard of lots of people that have it done.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  07:13:58 AM  Show Profile
Robin,
Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you went in and had the procedure done. You are right, sitting around does nothing, being pro-active does. This is a wake up all for all of us. I regularly have mammograms because my mother and grandmother both had breast cancer. I've been doing this since I was 30.

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  11:48:58 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

What a pertinent topic for me. I am scheduled to have both an endoscopy and colonoscopy on Tues 8/30. However, I decided yesterday to cancel and reschedule because I do not want to take time off work and because the co-pay is going to be so expensive. I was going to reschedule for Jan 06, but I guess that I should reschedule for Sept.

No family history, but my GI doc and Internist both say that everyone should at least have the colonoscopy after age 50. I am 53 and have never had one--always do the mammogram and pap each year since my mother is a breast cancer survivor, but I have been truly dreading these 2 procedures. Can't believe that I will be out of commission for a full day due to the sedative! The doc says that I can't even consider driving for 24 hours so I am having to ask my brother to spend his day driving about 100 miles to transport me!!!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  12:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Connio, sounds like you are a little afraid there girl. Neither of these tests is bad, honest. I was scared silly, believe me.The endoscopy was a breeze, I don't even remember any of it, and the colonoscopy wasn't bad either, the prep for that one is a little tougher on the back side before hand, but hey I lost 3 lbs! LOL
Make yourself do it. If you don't,it could be your life instead of one day out of it.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  12:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Robin- Thank you for sharing this and I am so glad you are on the other side of it now.Let's hope every follow up is all clear from here on out. It's hard when you lose a parent too young (my Mom was 47) to what you know can be a terminal disease.The knowledge and fear that it could be you too is sometimes overwhelming. The real problem is that so many people keep putting off the very tests that can detect early and prevent that outcome. Connie, if at all possible don't wait! A very good friend of ours postponed for the past year, and in the last month had two surgeries to remove various polyps, questionable growths and only recently admitted that her Dad had died when she was 6 from...colon cancer. She avoided being checked for the last 20 years and it could have been a much different outcome if she had waited any longer.
Fear has a way of paralyzing us into not doing what we know we should sometimes. What's worse; a little temporary discomfort or a long term problem?

Robin thanks for sharing this with us, be well and stay well. I am glad to know you are now on the path to a renewed sense of well being.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  04:39:18 AM  Show Profile
Connie, you can ask for a sedative that is reversed quickly. I was wide awake in a couple of minutes. Typically I struggle with anesthesia and don't come out of it fully for a a day. I don't remember what was used but it was great.

Margret, was your husband awake for his colonoscopy? I asked for that option but my doctor wasn't in favor of it. It said it's uncomfortable and people tend to move because of that. If I'd really pushed he'd have let me stay awake but he was so firm about sedation that I was put out.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  05:30:18 AM  Show Profile
Robin-good for you and for preventive testing! Its not somethng we want to do but sometimes is necessary. I had a colonoscopy last year and you are right~~ the worst part is the preparation..I had to drink a gallon of stuff..I'm not exagerating... But, as you said...I went to sleep and before I knew it~~it was over .Painless..As if nothing ever happened. Hoping all your tests come back ok~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  06:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Connie, don't put it off! I'm sure your brother won't mind helping you out for something this important.

Robin, my dh was not awake for the procedure. But his sedative wasn't reversed afterwards either. (they can do that?) He had a lot of discomfort for a few hours afterwards. I don't want to scare anyone into not having this done when they really need to. The procedure itself was ok and for a few hours of discomfort, it's so important to take the time to do it. We all know an ounce of prevention...

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  08:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Robin-
So great of you to share this personal experience (it doesn't get much more personal than a colonoscopy!).
I've had several scopes for Crohn's disease and sympathize with the fear factor I sense from the posts. My first was at age 25...I was sedated, but in such poor condition (5 ft 9, 104 lbs)they used too little & I woke up midway; they quickly knocked me back out. Now, I warn the dr.'s that I don't want to wake up. I'd rather spend extra time in recovery.
I must say, over the last 10 years the prep has actually improved. The prep and the dreaded anticipation tie for the worst part. Compared to barium x-rays and the endoscopy (down the throat), the colonoscopy is the lesser of evils.
If your medical team says you need it, for whatever reason, please do it!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Colonoscopy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page