LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  8:14:59 PM  Show Profile
When I toured my daughter's new school this past spring during an open house I noticed that the first thing the kids see when they walk into the cafeteria are two huge Coke machines. They don't even have to walk across the cafeteria to get to them, they are the first thing in the hallway before you actually get into the cafeteria. And that's just the start of the problem. The next available option is the snack area which contains every Little Debbie snack known to man as well as candy bars and other sugary snacks. My daughter informed me that the sugary snacks are the most affordable option there. I have of course informed my daughter that she is not to touch those options while at school. I do allow my children to have sodas and other sweets, but in a limited way.

How does one approach getting the school to get rid of these things when they are making so much money from them? I found an article that states that schools can make anywhere from $4,000 to $100,000 a year. President Bush's education secretary landed a $5 million contract with Coca-Cola when he was running Houston's school system. Also, the contracts guarantee the Coke company that they will sell a minimum amount to the students throughout the school year.

What really gets me about it is the speech the gym teacher gave before the school was opened for touring about how "you have to be in shape for gym class" (which the kids only have for one semester of the school year). Then we walk downstairs to the cafeteria and see what they are offering our kids all year long.

If it were up to me, I would pull my kids out of the system and homeschool them, but as a divorced parent, I don't have as much pull as I would like to have. There are so many things I am not liking about the public schools now.

So, any advice?

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain

Edited by - LJRphoto on Aug 25 2005 8:39:40 PM

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  03:54:57 AM  Show Profile
When I was in school 70's, we had school store only open at lunch time except when problems came up, the first thing the teachers would request was, close the store for 2 days or 3 days at a time.
The pop machines where in there along with candy, chips and school pencils, t-shirts etc.

I, myself am overweight now, but I see so many kids who put me to shame, I can't imagine even fitting the desks at my size comfortably!
Talking with people, I think alot of it is our perception of our world...
Meaning, we are terrified to let our kids out of our site, we keep them home and not running around the neighborhood.
Most of the kids I know spend their time indoors, at a day care or school, then playing video games, or on the computer surfing. Pretty sedentary. Then we throw soda (High Fructose Corn Syrup), chips (with MSG) and candy bars (sugar etc) into the diet on a daily basis.

Kids have money now a days, and with all the bright colored vending machines beckoning them to buy buy buy.
Sorry for rambling…just my 2 cents.

Here’s a site you might like and maybe get more info on.
http://www.healthfree.com/paa0072.htm
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  04:42:55 AM  Show Profile
http://www.asu.edu/educ/epsl/CERU/Articles/CERU-0504-122-OWI.pdf

www.asu.edu/educ/epsl/CERU/Community%2520Corner/CERU-0308-154-RCC.doc&ei=VPsOQ7W3HKfKaNCAvbYK" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A//www.asu.edu/educ/epsl/CERU/Community%2520Corner/CERU-0308-154-RCC.doc&ei=VPsOQ7W3HKfKaNCAvbYK

These should be helpful. No soda machines in Maine schools. The alternative isn't better though. Schools are offering "power" drinks made with high fructose corn syrup and artificial dyes. Our school doesn't have a machine. If it did I'd be pushing for water and Juicy Juice.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  05:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Our schools have banned soda -- only water and juice available. But Juniors and Seniors have 'open' lunch and can leave campus; they head for the fast-food places. I believe that here in Illinois P.E. is required for all grades, both semesters. Health class is also required. Hopefully that will encourage the teens/pre-teens to make better choices.
Go to Top of Page

WisGal35
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Cathy
Kenosha County WI
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  09:43:42 AM  Show Profile
Several states around the nation have either banned soft drink sales, severely limited those sales or are considering the option. It really sets me off to see junk food purveyors' logos, etc., in the schools -- kids are marketed to constantly, and the messages are so mixed.

Ditching soft drinks in the schools a wonderful trend everyone should push for at the local level -- who knows, getting just your local school district to reconsider the 'profits' made on our childrens' health could lead to better choices throughout their lifetimes.

In Wisconsin, some soft drink machines have been replaced with milk vending machines, with great results.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  09:56:06 AM  Show Profile
I noticed when my daughter started middle school this year that they have a soda machine too!! Right there first thing you see like you said. I had a talk with her (we limit big time the sugary treats and no sodas although they get the occational lemonade or sunnyD that sort of thing) I told her that she could spend her own money on juice or water bottles ( which are in the same machine) but no sodas and since I am at the school helping sometimes..and she never knows when I don't think she will chance it. She would rather drink juice anyway given the choice. I hope my son who is only in 4th grade will make the same choices when he is in middle school..he has a real problem with sugar and it worries me. There arn't candy machines and no candy is supposedly allowed at school..which I doubt is enforced. I pack my kids school lunches each day and try to feed them healthy food that they like..I hate the whole junk and soda thing at school..there is no reason for that!! I know my kids would buy milk from a vending machine given the choice too!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  10:35:20 AM  Show Profile
When my girls were in school they used to have "hotdog day" every other week as a fund raiser and were offered hotdogs and chocolate or white milk. After volunteering at one of them, their hotdog days came to an end...they were the cheapest weiners, smelled funny and were boiled and greasy. Buns were cheap white things that I would hesitate to call bread based.
It took some explaining to help them understand why I didn't want them eating that non-food, and they were thereafter packed special lunches for those days.
It was hard not to resent the school for putting some of us parents in that position of having their child left out.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  1:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Diane, That's what really ticks me off, is that the school is making money off of this. They are exploiting children to make ends meet. There's just got to be a better way. We, as parents, are always having to make due with less, why can't the schools figure out a way to do it. I know that funding is being cut left and right but still, there are ways to make less money work.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  2:34:44 PM  Show Profile
Our elementary school has "bake sales" a few times a year. I really wouldn't call them bake sales though, since real baked goods are not allowed. The children in the designated grade are supposed to donate 2 dozen "baked goods" which have to be store bought and individually wrapped, so it is granola bars or little debbie or hostess snacks..which is what I think EVERYONE but me brings! and then our kids are supposed to bring 25cents each to buy a treat right after school. This is always on a friday. I try to not let my kids buy any of it and have a special healthy treat for them that day..but like you said it tends to make them feel left out! really irritating. I have made it clear that my kids are not alllowed candy "rewards" and so far the teachers have been good about finding an alternative for them..but that is one of those things that single them out..feels like no one else cares!! I wouldn't be crazy about the hot dog days either. I hate hot dogs and if we do have them for our hot dog loving son's benefit we get good ones (as good as possible..yuck) and they have either homemade or whole wheat buns.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  2:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I get tired of all the fundraisers. I'd rather just write them a check once in a while, or tell me what it costs for my kid to participate in whatever they are raising the funds for.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  11:45:15 PM  Show Profile
My son's middle school is going through some changes this year related to this junk food topic. We (the PTA) requested that healthy snack machines be installed and they have complied. There will be a milk machine with every flavor of milk known to man , a REAL juice machine with multiple selections and the snack machine will have fruit, trail mix and other low fat/health oriented choices. Baby steps girls, and perserverence paid off. We just said "No more!" until they listened. It did help that the school I am at did this about four years ago so I had some data to validate the switches.
Like I always tell anyone who begins to complain to me about anything..."If you don't like it, do something about it. Join a committee , start a petition, be pro- active or you have no one to blame but yourself for the situation remaining the same".
This advice was used against me once when my son had all his friends sign a petition stating that he had the earliest bedtime of all of them and they were lobbying to change it! Gotta love a smart kid!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Coca-Cola in schools Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page