Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 When did you last have a tetanus shot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic When did you last have a tetanus shot? Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  12:32:03 PM  Show Profile
I had a rather spirited discussion with my Dr.(who I love) on Thursday as I was getting some updated booster shots long overdue.
Do you think the only time you need a Tetanus shot is when you step on a rusty nail? WRONG!!! Tetanus bacteria can be found in the soil, dust, air almost anywhere and although it prefers a deep puncture wound to survive it will infiltrate any opening in the skin.
Since all of us like to "dig in the dirt", it might be time to check your last shot. My Dr. didn't believe me when I said the last one had been over 20 years ago! I can't say that anymore since I now have a very sore left arm to prove otherwise!
A scary statistic: 3 out of every 10 Americans that are infected with tetanus die. Makes the shot not seem so unpleasant now doesn't it?
Taking care of ourselves is important for us and the people who love us, so if your due, make an appointment this week.

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Apr 18 2005 07:07:47 AM

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  1:34:50 PM  Show Profile
I had to have one this winter after our cat bit me. Long story, don't ask. Know I had one less than ten years ago but they decided I should get one anyway just to be sure. It was more sore than the bite.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  3:38:47 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, Good Topic! Free Tetanus boosters are given out every spring at our local FarmShow. I went to the show 4 years ago and realized it had been almost 20 years since my last shot. I believe it is every 10 years a booster is needed. That summer I got a bad puncture wound while working in my vineyard with a pruner and I was glad I attended that show and got the painful arm. By the way a frozen bag of peas can ease the ache of the shot...and some tylenol.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  4:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Well, I make sure the kids have, but never thought about myself! Thanks for the reminder!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  4:58:50 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Margret! We missed you!! How is your spring going in Manitoba? Would love to visit Canada someday! In my mind I picture the Manitoba prairie as pristine and vast and beautiful. How is springtime up there going for you? Has all the snow melted? Have you planted your garden yet? This is way off the subject of tetanus shots...Chime in anytime! Take care of you, get that shot! Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2005 :  5:44:00 PM  Show Profile
Gosh, I don't know when the last time I had one was...at least 20 years I would think..probably more like 30. Hmmm...better put that on my list.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  06:31:32 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Meadowlark!! Spring is here!!!! The snow is gone, the robins are back! The garden will go in about 2nd or 3rd week of May, but I have some seedlings started on my windowsill.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  08:04:34 AM  Show Profile
One thing I do is keep my tetanus shot up to date - I was told various things by different doctors, some say you need a booster every 5 years, some say 10. Luckily last year when my cat accidentally bit me, (Eileen - hope you're better), mine was up to date. Nothing to fool about!

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2005 :  09:22:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Cecelia,
Mine was up to date also but due to the fact that I am considered imune compromised as a result of having knee replacement surgery within the past year they decided to give it to me anyway just to be certain I did not get it. Cats are strange creatures and so unpredictable. The bite was in February and I am better. I didnt think it was such a big deal but everybody else did.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2005 :  4:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Mine was last summer, after I accidently kicked a boat prop (it wasn't moving) and had to have eleven stitches. And Noooooo, I wasn't mad at the boat prop!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2005 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Mine was about 20 years ago, I think. I stubbed my big toe on a hammer my roommate had left on the floor. OUCH! The shot hurt more than the stub...I still remember it. I've got to go in for some other check up stuff, so I may as well get it updated then.
Thanks for the reminder,
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2005 :  6:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi all Mine was in 2000 when I broke up a fight when one of my dogs attacked one of my cats. I ended up with 30 puncture wounds on my arms from the cat after he attached himself around my arms to escape the dog. All survived, but I had the worst injuries. I had lost so much blood that the doctor said that she did not know how I drove myself to her office! I personally did not think that I had any other choice. I lived in Dallas then, but I lived alone and all of my neighbors and friends were at work. "A girls got to do what a girls got to do!!!!"

Two weeks ago I stepped on the point of a giant pushpin. However the doctor said that my tetanus shot from 2000 should be fine since they are only needed every 10 years.
Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2005 :  10:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
I had one last winter. We were branding, tagging, preg testing and given vaccinations to the cattle. I accidently vacinated my self! So when I went to work on Monday, of course after calling the vet to make sure I had given myself a deadly injection, our resident doc gave me a tetanus shot. Needless to say, whatever I vaccinated the cow for was a healthy shot for me. This has been my first year in a long time that I haven't had the flu or a cold lasting a week or more, a jar of vicks and lord knows how many boxes of kleenexes! But, I won't be slipping this year!

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal & gardening tips, farmhouse remodeling & ez home recipes.
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  10:56:42 AM  Show Profile
I had to have a tetnus shot Easter weekend after I dropped a board on my foot and had it a nail go through my boot and through my foot. Not cool to say the least.....

Went the next morning to the Dr and she said that a tetnus shot is good for 10 years UNLESS you are getting it for a puncture wound and then it is only good for 5 and to definatly keep it updated because of the danger of getting tetnus from digging around in the dirt.

Ds and Dd's are both current from their baby shots but Dh needs to have one done...just can't convince him that he should.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  06:34:08 AM  Show Profile
I had to have a tetanus shot in 2001 after getting an industrial-sized staple lodged in my toe (I had taken my shoes off a work and swung around in my chair to answer the phone when the staple, which was lodged in the carpet, apparently attacked me.) The Tetanus shot hurt about 1000 times worse than the staple removal procedure did!
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  10:07:32 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm, I'd better go get one. My last tetanus shot was almost 10 years ago when my sister's boyfriend's rotweiler bit me on the leg (accidental provocation on my part). Another thing to be aware of is that horse manure is chock full 'o' tetanus. So, if you have horses or use the manure in your gardening you'll want to be especially careful.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  06:36:48 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,
Thanks for the reminder. I was due for my ten year booster 4 years ago but they would not give it too me because there was some sort of shortage. I was told, "we'll just do it next year." Of course, I forgot.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic When did you last have a tetanus shot? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page