Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My Mama's Fresh Apple Cake Next Topic  

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  7:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I forgot how truly great this cake is until she sent one over today. Oh MY. I love this cake so much!! And it is better the second or third day after baking!

Mama’s Fresh Apple Cake

4 cups apples chopped
2 cups sugar
2 eggs separated
3/4 cup cooking oil
1 cup chopped pecans
2 cups flour
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Pour sugar over apples and let stand. Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Add egg yolks and stir. Add cooking oil to egg mixture. Beat well and let stand. Mix together pecans, flour, soda, salt and cinnamon. Pour egg mixture over apples. Add dry ingredients. Stir with wooden spoon. Bake at 350 in greased and floured tube pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake tests done.

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  7:56:47 PM  Show Profile
Any apple varieties preferable? Does this cake want firm tart pie apples, like Granny Smiths? Or does it do better with saucy-types?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  8:30:18 PM  Show Profile
I am making this tomorrow for my kid's traditional "first day of school cake". They will love it..sounds great to me too!! Thanks Susan!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  8:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Does it freeze? I have 4 apple trees about ready to pick !
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  9:45:55 PM  Show Profile
Here's another recipe for apple cake:

4 medium apples
1 1/2 c. + 1 tbsp flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. canola or vegetable oil
Cinnamon sugar (1/3 c. sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon)

1. Set oven to 350
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Peel and cut apples into 4 pieces and remove the apple core. Cut the quarters into 5mm strips.
4. Whip eggs and mix in sugar.
5. Add 1/3 the flour mixture to the egg mixture and combine. Add 1/3 of the oil to the egg mixture and combine. Repeat this process 2 more times.
6. Pour just enough batter to cover the bottom of a 22cm x 22cm pan and smooth flat.
7. Top with all of the sliced apple.
8. Reserving 3 tbsp of the cinnamon sugar, sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon sugar on top of the apple slices.
9. Pour the rest of the batter on top, sandwiching the apple slices and smooth the top.
10. Sprinkle reserved 3 tbsp cinnamon sugar on the top.
11. Bake in the oven for 40-45mins. A toothpick inserted into the cake portion (not the apple middle!) will come out clean.

I've only made this cake with MacIntosh apples, but I bet any kind of apple would be just fine. Also, too much batter on the bottom layer, will result in a soggy cake. The recipe originally called for half of the batter in the bottom of the pan, but when I tried that, the cake came out soggy. A bit of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan will allow the cake to come out of the pan easier.

I loved when my Mom made this cake. She stopped making it a number of years ago, so I rooted through her recipe books, and found the recipe. It's yummy! Enjoy!

Cat
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  02:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
My mom always uses red delicious. Jenny, let me know how it turns out.

Susan

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  03:41:32 AM  Show Profile
My early tree is dropping apples. I'm going to use your recipe today, Susan. It's cool - a perfect day to be in the kitchen.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  03:44:08 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Oh Robin you make me long for Autumn. You know it lasts 7-10 days here...sometime around the middle of December!!! Seriously, we have many many days of h-o-t left. We run our air in December here as much as our heat! If not more. But I am so looking forward to "pretending" it is Autumn and cooking again, baking more, I love all that comfort food that comes with cooler weather.

Susan

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  04:32:08 AM  Show Profile
The trees are ripe and ready so I think I might have to try both your recipes girls! Luckily the crew that eats at my house most nights has a wicked sweet tooth and they haven't tired of all the peach desserts yet but now I'll have some new things to try for apple season,thanks!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  05:54:39 AM  Show Profile
It is nice and cool this morning....so I think after I get the kids all settled at school..first day today! I will come home and bake the cake. I am going to use Golden Delicious or a combo of golden and red delicious. I can't wait to make my house smell like apple cake! I will let you know how it turns out!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2005 :  10:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Susan..the cake turned out great!!! It was a big hit with the whole family!I used golden delicious apples and didn't peel them..which I love. Since I can never completely leave a recipe alone I did drizzle a simple vanilla icing on top. It was tasty!!!!! Thanks so much! That recipe is a keeper for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  10:35:11 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Aunt Jenny, I was thinking golden delicious, too. And I never peel, either! Sounds like a delicious recipe, but I think I'll hoard it for about sixty days, or until the local goldens are ready.

Thanks for sharing these recipes, Susan and Cat!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My Mama's Fresh Apple Cake Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page