Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Organic Foods Co-op In Louisiana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Organic Foods Co-op In Louisiana Next Topic  

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  11:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
Farmgirls,

Please help a native Louisianaian find organic food suppliers! We started strict organic living after moving from LA to a neighboring town of Houston, TX. (We always grew our own veggies & meats but had to make do with what we could get locally which wasn't organic.) It was so easy to find organic products there was never a question about living this way. However, we have now returned to North LA only to find that organic products are very hard to come by. We have 2 health food stores within 45 miles of us but they mostly carry supplements and few food items. I'm seriously going through withdrawls and spending way too much money ordering food online. We do raise our own meats, veggies, & fruits but I need can goods, pastas, & grains. I'm in a Frontier co-op where I get my spices and other things but NO FOOD! I did find Ozark co op from another LA Farmgirl but have yet to hear back from them and it's been 3 weeks. Is there any other suppliers similar to Frontier and Ozark that will deliver to Louisiana? Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

~Nicole
www.thelazydeaux.com

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  11:46:46 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Waving at you Nicole! I cant believe Ozark hasnt gotten in touch with you. Want me to call and rough em' up for ya????

Let me hear from ya!

Susan
Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks http://www.thesoapmaven.com

Go to Top of Page

jillofalltrades
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Nicole

USA
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jillofalltrades's MSN Messenger address  Send jillofalltrades a Yahoo! Message
just emailed you off list...thanks for the info.

~Nicole
www.thelazydeaux.com
http://farmgirlsoflouisiana.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  10:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Have you looked into North Farm yet? They have a huge catalog with tons of lovely cheeses, canned goods, bulk goods, yogurts, meats, etc. And there's a farm in the northeast that's been organic since before time: Walnut Acres, I believe in Penn's Creek, PA. They do a mailorder business, with a large variety of products.

Another option would be to look at your closest major college or university. Most have whole food co-ops somewhere on the periphery of the campus. It might mean bulk ordering and making a trip four times a year, but that can work for staples like flours and canned goods.

I wish you luck. When we moved here from a college town, where I worked on the board of directors of a thriving natural foods co-op with more than 2500 working and non-working members, I went to the local stores and tried to find some whole wheat bread. I was astonished to find that everyone thought that whole wheat was Roman Meal. I couldn't even make my own, as almost no one had whole wheat flour, and those that did only had old, rancid stuff. I finally found a co-op about 25 miles away, in (surprise!) a college town.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Organic Foods Co-op In Louisiana Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page